Fixed Blade EDC

This is a discussion on Fixed Blade EDC within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only fixed blade knife you will ever need. dundeeknife.jpg...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fixed Blade EDC

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    The only fixed blade knife you will ever need.

dundeeknife.jpg

2. Remove Ads

Another vote for the Kabar. I've got the LEO model with a smooth blade.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    If EDC means toted daily, I have in the past carried a Clinch Pick most days, when wearing the appropriate combination of belt and pants. The sheath developed a crack, and I want to find an alternate sheath, or at least alternate form of attaching the sheath to the belt, so as not to strain the ensemble when squatting or bending. Of course, I made the strain worse by wearing the CP vertically, instead of the more usual angle.

Before I had the Clinch Pick, I carried a Spyderco Ronin most days, positioned for a reverse-grip, edge-in grip as drawn from the belt-mounted sheath. I later carried the Ronin as a neck knife. I recently started toting something else on a neck chain, and it interfered with a sure-thing quick draw of the Ronin from the sheath, so the neck carry of a blade is on hold, at least for daily carry, for now.

To be clear, I did not use these fixed blades for daily cutting chores. Multi-tools, Swiss Army Knives, and other utilitarian blades were/are used for that.

Changes in the way I dress lately have made it less likely for me to be toting a fixed blade, but when I figure out a solution to the CP's sheath, I will probably revert to carrying it. I think it is important to note that if I was not virtually required to tote a handgun at all times, within Texas, and moreover have the legal blessing to do so, even in most gun-free zones, I would make much greater use of a fixed-blade as a daily carry item. Texas law is actually quite friendly to single-edged fixed-blade knives under 5.5" in blade length, and signs prohibiting handguns to be carried under the provision of the CHL law have no effect on carry of knives. (Of course, if they know you have a knife, and don't want you to carry it on the premises, it is legal for those in charge of private property to deny entry to one with a knife, no matter the type or size of blade.)

When I last regularly toted fixed-blades, daily, other than the CP, it was when my carry guns tended to be either snubby revolvers, or a big fat G22. I changed my daily carry guns, with a SIG P229 now being carried more forward than I tended to wear previous handguns. I used to wear a Ronin a short distance in front of my holstered "primary" handgun, but the more forward position of my present P229 would mean a knife worn in front of my handgun would not be concealed very well, and would draw attention I don't want, with an open-front carry garment. On the off-side hip, I now tend to tote the spare P229 magazine more forward than I toted the spare Glock mag, and this interferes with where I have worn yet another fixed blade, a Strider HS Karambit, during the period I owned/carried the G22. As I am a peace officer, the handguns and their spare mags take precedence over blades. I reckon that retirement will see an increase in my use of fixed blades, as I will probably revert to revolvers, which I wear a bit farther to the rear, and spare magazines' placement will be a moot point.

The problem with the majority of fixed blades are the factory sheaths
    Amen to that.

I've never found a better sheath than the one for the little Gerber Guardian. Adjustable and reliable. Part of that is that the knife is light as a feather, of course - so it doesn't sling out.

I've used the large Kabar TDI-style ankle knife. Didn't care for it on the ankle, but it works well on the belt. The Guardian is the only knife I've come across with a sheath that works fine when inverted.

P.S. The SpecOps sheaths work great when inverted, but they take up a lot of room.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    The best factory sheaths I've seen yet come from Benchmade. The injection-molded sheaths of some of their fixed blades (especially the discontinued Instigator) are top-notch factory sheaths that give good retention, ease of access in a variety of positions, and full combat-grip draw. Too bad their handle design often has something to be desired, eh?

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Some good points here, I'll try to add one or two. I don't have knife training and most of us don't. I try to always have a handgun on me and do have some training with that. My main needs for an EDC knife are for simple utility type cutting chores. A folder is best for that, however, I liked the idea of a simple fixed blade carried on my weakside to help with weapon retention. My right hand is going for the gun, the left for a knife. I too bought the TDI but the sheaths are terrible. I bought a custom sheath and that was a bit better but still not good. Now they have a screw on belt clip you can see in the picture above. I'm going to try that and it if works as good as it looks like it should then I think the TDI is perfect for what I'm talking about.

For hiking, camping, etc, I have an ESEE Izula and that's about the best little knife I know of. I'm working on a way to add a belt loop to that sheath so i can try to carry it IWB. If I can, it might replace my TDI.

And for the in pocket EDC for utility cutting there's usually a benchmade mini-griptilian or any other Benchmade with the axis lock.

Gideon

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    You can get a really nice IWB sheath for the Izula from Invictus Kydex. Matt has an Izula so you won't have to send your knife in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

For hiking, camping, etc, I have an ESEE Izula and that's about the best little knife I know of. I'm working on a way to add a belt loop to that sheath so i can try to carry it IWB. If I can, it might replace my TDI.

And for the in pocket EDC for utility cutting there's usually a benchmade mini-griptilian or any other Benchmade with the axis lock.

Gideon
    Agree with Gideon on both points... Izula is excellent and as for the Axis lock, I really like my Benchmade mini Barrage (585)

I have carried an Izula in the factory plastic sheath horizontally on my belt forever. It just took a couple of wraps with 550 cord to make a couple of loops.

Depending on what else is on my belt I either straddle the first belt loop or wear it right next to my buckle.

Tucks in under my belly nice as you please

[QUOTE=e4gulf;1732635]KA-BAR TDI Serrated:

Got mine from here: http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/TOMAR...rown_TDI_Knife

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZivRcSnPyw

[/QU

My brother just gave me one of these knives for my birthday and i love it. very ergonomic and great quality.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

Went to a RAT ESEE-3 several months ago from my ColdSteel Recon and has worked out really well. You have to experiment a little but the fixed blade is WAY faster and the ESEE-3 is well made with the 3" just right for EDC. I won't say there may not be times when I will carry the folder but I'm hooked on fixed blades now!
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I've been EDC'ing a CRKT Kasper Companion for awhile now. Carried IWB/appendix or under my off-side armpit in a Mercharness shoulder rig.
    Just about the ideal size in a fixed-blade EDC, IMO. Excellent ergonomics in the handle design.

I carry a RAT 3 right now but I have a Busse Sus Scrofa on the way.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Here is my Busse Sus Scrofa and Boss Street.The Scrofa is the second pic.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by TWO GUNS; November 28th, 2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: moved
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Another +1 for the Gerber Guardian. Great knife, plunges like no other.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links