Benchmade Infidel: Novelty or True Tactical EDC?

This is a discussion on Benchmade Infidel: Novelty or True Tactical EDC? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Benchmade Infidel is an intriguing knife. It has a D2 blade but it is thin, albeit double edged. It's usefulness as a defensive knife ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Benchmade Infidel: Novelty or True Tactical EDC?

Benchmade Infidel: Novelty or True Tactical EDC?

The Benchmade Infidel is an intriguing knife. It has a D2 blade but it is thin, albeit double edged. It's usefulness as a defensive knife is rather lacking given it's apparent effectiveness for stabbing/jabbing rather than slashing. Is there any practical use in your opinion, aside from being the flashiest looking letter opener?

I personally favor the Tanto given the slashing and penetrating superiority.

2. Remove Ads

Probably a good defensive knife, but way, way overpriced.

I got away from tanto blades a long time ago opting for a more functional blade shapes such as spear point, drop point, clip point and a few others over the tanto blade shape.

To me, the tanto belongs on a sword.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No matter how good the infidel might be and how cool it looks, I can't justify that much for a knife, even with the military pricing Benchmade offers.
    Wolf357 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It's usefulness as a defensive knife is rather lacking given it's apparent effectiveness for stabbing/jabbing rather than slashing.
    Can you explain what you mean by "defensive knife"? The stiletto design of the Infidel is perfectly suitable for defensive purposes. I have a "truck knife" of similar design I keep onboard for trouble situations.

Let's imagine you are an aggressor. You are going to grab and manhandle a woman walking back to her car in a parking lot. As you approach her, she produces the Benchmade Infidel and starts to swing and poke-stab at you with it. I'm not clear on how a Tanto-blade would be superior in this scenario.

From an offensive perspective, a larger, heavier blade can do more. Your plan might involve coming in and slashing tendons and ligaments, executing "comma" cuts above joints. There, a drop point or bowie-style blade is good, and the tanto is a mixed-bag design, a sort of jack-of-all-trades, but master of none.

Of all my blades, I have only one in the Tanto config. The best defensive blade in my estimation is the Cold Steel Ti Lite, which is a bayonet design - excellent for dissuading an attacker. The problem I have with the Infidel is that it's an OTF knife. These are generally novelty items and not fighting tools. The Internet is filled with hundreds of pages of arguments back and forth about the utility of liner-lock blades. Compared to an OTF, a liner-lock is a fixed-blade Ka-Bar. Any criticism of a liner-lock goes 1000 times against an OTF.

Like a switchblade, an OTF's primary value is intimidation. The "snick" action will either frighten the attacker or have no effect. You'd be better off with a Balisong.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I think it's largely a novelty. It's illegal for most jurisdictions as both a "switchblade" and a "dagger", has the aforementioned iffy locking mechanism, and only opens from a relatively small lever that would be easy to miss when you're trying to deploy the blade under stress. Now add that it's completely ridiculously expensive and it's a big, fat thumbs down from me.

Benchmade Infidel=Junk...I sold mine to a co-worker and never looked back.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...&v=tp5BkQ4SavU
    Do yourself a favor and as the guy on the video says in the 1st minute.....just go buy a Microtech
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Administrator
    The OTFs are fun to play with but, I'd pass & ditto DIABLO9489 and opt for a Microtech. It's a wiser investment.
    Check your state knife laws and make sure that whatever you carry is legal where you reside.

Defensive carry that I was referring to was the ability to block an attack and counter with a slash. The point, I can see as a stabbing motion only. I like the Tanto given the ability to penetrate based upon its design, in addition to an ability to slash. I personally see more effectiveness in have options for striking and counterstriking with an edge, as well.

I also question the reliability of the Infidel's locking mechanism.

Which specific model do you refer to regarding the Microtech?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Besides the novelty and high price...they are just freaking cool. LOL My buddy has one.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Defensive carry that I was referring to was the ability to block an attack and counter with a slash. The point, I can see as a stabbing motion only. I like the Tanto given the ability to penetrate based upon its design, in addition to an ability to slash. I personally see more effectiveness in have options for striking and counterstriking with an edge, as well.

I also question the reliability of the Infidel's locking mechanism.

Which specific model do you refer to regarding the Microtech?
    For Microtech your best bet would be any variety of the Ultratech. They offer a couple different variations, single edge, double edge, tanto edge, with/without serrations. You can pick one up from a bunch of online websites, I bought mine from http://www.notyourmamasknives.com/ for around $230.....Here is a picture of mine (Double edge w/ serrations) with my other EDC gear.....

Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Expensive letter opener. Before I got THAT, I'd get THIS: http://www.milestactical.com/SHIVA.html
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    No matter how good the infidel might be and how cool it looks, I can't justify that much for a knife, even with the military pricing Benchmade offers.
    I got one through an online site in hong kong. DHgate.com $61.00. It looks and feels like the real thing and functions well.I do not know if it is a genuine knock-off or if Benchmade has some sort of deal with them. I am in the army reserves and in california, so not too worried about legalities as is it is only used while on duty. California law says if the blade is 2" or less it is legal. This of course is not at 4". Maybe not the greatest knife overall, but good self defense in a pinch. I definitely would not pay $400 for it though.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

Me neither. If I had the price of this one or the Microtech, I'd buy another gun and continue carrying my Gerber Covert.
    Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Distinguished Member
    Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn Combat folder with the upper edge sharpened.
    Well made and has a very nice pocket clip. A little work on it, and it is very effective.
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    The Benchmade Infidel is an intriguing knife. It has a D2 blade but it is thin, albeit double edged. It's usefulness as a defensive knife is rather lacking given it's apparent effectiveness for stabbing/jabbing rather than slashing. Is there any practical use in your opinion, aside from being the flashiest looking letter opener?

I personally favor the Tanto given the slashing and penetrating superiority.
    Practical use, no. Automatic knives offer nothing that assisted-opening or waved knives don't give you, with the triple added disadvantage that the lock mechanism is necessarily more fragile, that there is no way to manually open and lock the knife if the mechanism breaks, and that they are illegal in many places to carry and possibly even to possess.
    ghost tracker likes this.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links