Griptillian vs Endura

This is a discussion on Griptillian vs Endura within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying a Spyderco Endura for about a year. Today I got a Benchmade Griptillian. 1. Spyderco looks much longer, in reality it ...

Thread: Griptillian vs Endura

Griptillian vs Endura

I have been carrying a Spyderco Endura for about a year. Today I got a Benchmade Griptillian.
    1. Spyderco looks much longer, in reality it looks like about 3/8 of an inch. Does not make any difference in carry for me.
    2. Benchmade looks much thicker, in reality it might be 3/16 of an inch. Does not make any difference in carry for me.
    3. Benchmade is easy to flick open while holding the lock button. Slight edge in cool factor. Have yet to decide if that is going to be how I choose to deploy knife.
    4. Both are equally easy and identical to open one handed using thumb.
    5. Spyco gives more options on clip location and carry positions. Could be a plus.
    6. Grip is different on both knives, but both fit my hand very good.
    7. Weight is close enough not to be a factor for me.
    8. Two completely different locking mechanisms. Don't really see one having a distinct advantage.
    9. Price difference Spyderco $54, Benchmade $74. What's $20 when you might bank your life on it.
    In my opinion they both are great knives and one does not have a distinct advantage over the other.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I ended up choosing the Griptilian out of the two discussed knives. I didn't find the Endura grips to be as comfortable as those of the Griptilian. I found the Griptilian blade far easier to deploy while maintaining a decent blade detent and this makes a huge difference when deploying the blade under stress. I find the long, shallow belly and the edge geometry of the 550HG Griptilian to be superior to the Endura for the pull-cutting of the inverted edge methods I prefer to use. The AXIS lock is rock solid and easy to use with minimal chances of accidental release when the knife is held in any of the standard grips. Both knives use excellent parts and materials with exceptional fit and finish.

Above all, it's mostly a taste thing. Both are great and have available trainers, I just find myself preferring Benchmade folders and Spyderco fixed blades.

+1 on the Griptillian!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

I've used a Grip for the past 3-4 years and it can't be beat. There is a reason it is BM's #1 seller. However, I just bought a Nitrous Blitz-BM's stryker model made for H&K. Can't wait to get it. It won't be a problem carrying it here in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    +1 on the Griptillian!
    Same here.....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

In my opinion both are excellent knives. The AXIS lock is rock solid and as others have mentioned the knife is extremely fast to deploy.

The only thing that has held me back from using a Griptilian as my EDC is the extra thickness. I do a lot of sitting during my work day and it is not quite as comfortable for me as the Endura and Delica.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Both good knives, no doubt. I EDCed an Endura 4 until a few weeks ago. I think that VG-10 provides a slightly better blade, especially on edge retention, and the Endura's thinness proved a definite plus in EDC for those of us who sit most of the time. Overall, though, I think that your analysis is right on the money. It will come down to individual tastes in the end.

FWIW, I swapped out my EDC a few weeks ago to a Spyderco Stretch CF w/a ZDP-189 blade. Best folder I've ever had.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Yesterday I added another to the mix. Benchmade Pika. Very close to size and feel of the Endura, but only $22. Not very impressed with the pocket clip on the Pika, but at $22 what the heck.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carried a endura for 4 years I loved the knife and the I lost it . so I decided to go over to my toy store to pick up another one that is where I saw the bm grip after handeling it .It just felt better in my hand and IMO just a better built knife you cant go wrong with either IMHO

I prefer the Endura, but both a very good knives. I carried an Endura for a very long time, and now I carry a SuperLeaf. I love the VG-10 steel.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Links