Benchmade Knife Endurance

This is a discussion on Benchmade Knife Endurance within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Back on October 2008 I lost my Benchmade 14200SBT while working on my property. With over 4 acres, I looked high and low and to ...

Thread: Benchmade Knife Endurance

Benchmade Knife Endurance

Back on October 2008 I lost my Benchmade 14200SBT while working on my property. With over 4 acres, I looked high and low and to no avail. Fast forward to two weeks ago, my friends who are now renting the house from me spotted a piece of metal sticking out of the ground. Low and behold, 18 months later the knife was recovered. It was caked with mud and dirt to the point of not opening and it was found in an area where multiple flash floods have occurred, one with 9 foot deep waters raging over the area. The ground it was found on was wet for about 6 months until this summer so it was sitting in moist soil for about that long.

Knowing my warranty was pretty much voided at this point ( although I never contacted them to find out ), and I had already purchased another 14200SBT, and a BM530 in my grieving period to make myself feel better for losing my favorite knife, I decided to disassemble and clean it myself. It cleaned up great, still had an edge, and only experienced mild galvanic corrosion on the handle.

I just wanted to share the tank of a knife that is bench made, and the reason why I only carry axis lock folders.

I have attached a few photos of how it was found, the disassembly and cleaning.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Here is one of the flash floods over the area it was found in.
    Attached Images

SWEET! lol seems like a good good knife!

somethings are just ment to be..

I have carried and abused my Benchmade daily for over 18 years and it is still going strong. I will never buy another brand, the durability justifies the price.

After 13 years of use and abuse I sent my Benchmade auto in for cleaning and sharpening. I am a farmer (now retired) and used the BM auto on a daily basis for everything. I really beat that knife to death! The knife still functions perfectly but I was curious as to what the shop would do to it so I sent it in for a look. Let you know what .
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    After 13 years of use and abuse I sent my Benchmade auto in for cleaning and sharpening. I am a farmer (now retired) and used the BM auto on a daily basis for everything. I really beat that knife to death! The knife still functions perfectly but I was curious as to what the shop would do to it so I sent it in for a look. Let you know what .
    Any updates?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I love my Benchmades. It's always a great feeling finding a lost knife...especially when it's in better condition than you'd expect. Congrats! BMs are super tough.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

I really like my benchmades. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Sorry to take so long to reply. BM returned the knife sharpened, cleaned, and with all the old "guts" of the knife replaced with brand, spanking new stuff. Old outer and new inner workings. I was supposed to sent $5.00 with the order to defray postage but forgot to do that. BM just let it ride and took care of it anyway. I am greatly satisfied!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

That is great to hear. I have three Benchmades and the one in the original post is going strong. All Axis Locks. I love them!

Links