Fox Labs Design Question

This is a discussion on Fox Labs Design Question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey Guys, For some time now, I've always thought that all pepper spray is equal in terms of design and effectiveness. After reading a few ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Labs Design Question

Fox Labs Design Question

Hey Guys,

For some time now, I've always thought that all pepper spray is equal in terms of design and effectiveness. After reading a few threads on DC about the subject, I've realized there are some stark differences between makes/models. I've decided to get some of the Fox Labs 5.3 MM SHU for the wife and I. A couple questions before I make the purchase:

1) Anyone have any experience with this specific formula?
    2) What is your preferred top style - "Cop Top" or "Flip Top"?
    3) As far as the key chain model goes, how exactly does the unit become engaged?

The reason I ask is because my wife currently has a key chain model (x-brand from the local sporting goods store) and does not like the way it engages. She feels it's too clumsy and feels that she could spray herself if she were to use the unit under stress. IMHO, the design isn't that great - the canister rotates a bit while in the key chain holster making it difficult to slide the button top to engage.

We both liked the thought process and design behind the Kimber Pepper Blaster II, but w/ only 2 (short) non-refillable shots and no great mode of carry (i.e. belt clip) that is out of the picture.

Any input is much appreciated!
    "Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty"
    -Wendell Phillips

Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap nor easy conquest.
    -The Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If your Wife intends to keep her larger one in her purse then you should opt for the Fox Labs flip top on that one.
    Regarding the key-chain units.
    Go for the DPS in the HARDSHELL UNIT over the Fox Labs - Same exact formula + an extra 5' of reach.
    Also the cannister in the DPS key-chain units is TIGHT. It will not move in there & you can pop your keys off the bottom if you go into some place like a school or a courtroom where you'll want to take your keys but, the OC is prohibited.

J&L Self Defense Products
    Call HERE & Phone In An Order.

Buy some extra Key-Chain units because they sell easily and/or friends/relatives will want one.

Great, Honest, Company. I've been buying from them for years. Fast Shipping - Credit Card Safe - Fresh Product.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

For the non trained person, the flip top with a cone pattern is the best way to go. Stream is not as easy as you think to direct when you're in the middle of an attack. The flip top is easy to use and provides a much more forgiving safety margin against accidental discharge.

Fox labs is good stuff. Go to youtube and search for Fox pepper spray and you'll find tons of examples of why you don't want to try it on yourself.

Just remember it's purpose is not to totally stop an attack, it's purpose is to slow down your attacker enough for you to get away. As entertaining as it may be to stay and watch the BG melt, run away. It may not last as long as you want it to.

Don't forget to check your state laws on pepper spray. Some states limit the size and some limit the percentage of pepper. Some don't allow it to be concealed at all.

My wife and I carry the Fox labs that looks like the pic above. I pocket carry mine and have not had a problem with leaking or anything else. To engage mine you slide the trigger to the side which allows it to be pushed down so it will spray. It also has the detachable key chain. I have some local spots to get it so that was a selling point for me too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

We use the larger 2oz cop Top Streamer and clip on pouch.
    I prefer draw and shoot tools without extra manipulations. I consider it an off hand tool so less gadjets is better, with car keys when appropriate in the strong hand.
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Be sure to keep in mind that most sprays are only good for around six months. Be sure to use the old ones as trainers after you buy the new ones as a way to keep in practice with them.

Ex Member
    I use the 'Cop Top.' One less unnecessary lever to move.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Be sure to keep in mind that most sprays are only good for around six months. Be sure to use the old ones as trainers after you buy the new ones as a way to keep in practice with them.

That's a bit too short for shelf life. Fox warrenties theirs for three years. Most recommend you change every two years. If it's shorter, get a better brand. I believe that Sabre also recommends two years.

Per Fox Labs lit:

We warranty our units for three years from the date they are made, resulting in what is called a three-year total life. However, we recommend replacing a unit at two years from the “time of purchase" or after using it to protect oneself. We find many customers keep track of this date by simply taking a permanent marker and writing a month and year on the bottom of their canister. So, for example, if you bought a unit in June of 2008, you would write 06/10 on the bottom of the unit, and that is your personal expiration date.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Well, I almost had some people practicing with their sprays four to six times more often than strictly necessary. I at least gave it a go, right?

I had heard the six months thing (maybe it was one year...oh forget it, I'm too tired and sick to care right now) somewhere before and I figured a potential good-natured fib that gets people actually out there using their tools might do some folks some good.

My bad, yall...

Thanks for the correction, NC Bullseye!

I just bought and received two of the 2OZ plus 4oz units (6oz stream) . They just replaced two smaller units in my car and personal carry units. No holsters or anything else, just in the pocket ready to use.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I don't have experience with the Fox brand, but I use the MSI products with the flip-top activation for many many years. An AD with a cheap slide top keychain spray led me to that style of spray.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Fox labs makes an excellent product. I have seen it drop an idiot. From all I have read it is the best out there. The standard by which all others are measured. That said I have seen it fail when used properly and well before any expiration date. For that reason I strongly suggest that your wife opt for a more consistently effective method of self defense. She sprays the wrong guy and she may end up with a seriously enraged psychopath on her hands.

IMHO In a self defense scenario she may not have a chance or time to go for plan B. If her life or well being is in danger she needs to stop them NOW. By whatever method is most often consistently effective not by some method that is effective most of the time.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    I just bought and received two of the 2OZ plus 4oz units (6oz stream) . They just replaced two smaller units in my car and personal carry units. No holsters or anything else, just in the pocket ready to use.
    My $0.02 - I wouldn't keep any in the car. It might work if you live in a place that never experiences heat, but here in Florida, leaving a pressurized can in a hot can for many thermal cycles/days is just asking for a disaster at some point. I couldn't imagine having a can of OC spray, especially one as potent as Fox, exploding in my car. You'd never be able to completely get rid of it.

I think there was another DC member who had a can sort of "slow" explode (sort of just burst, but no big explosion) while driving. It was a can that was left in his wife's car.

I don't have issues up here in Georgia with high temp burn off's. Still keeping in the car and oabts as needed. Have had several different brands here in the last 20 Years!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

There is an important 'key element' here that few talk about.
    Regardless of what one buys, buy several to experiment with...yes, experiment with?

Lots of people carry a spray and have no idea about how far it will spray, if it is a spray, a stream, or a fog, and what that means.
    Anyone who carries pepper spray should/must try using it on a slightly windy day...you WILL get some in your eyes, and it does burn.
    What are you going to do if you try to defend yourself and some spray hits you too? Are you going to be able to handle it? How far will it spray? Don't count on what the manufacturer says.
    If you're going to carry a tool, know how to use it and practice. Is it worth an extra $8-15 dollars to be better prepared?
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; August 29th, 2010 at 10:53 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links