KABAR/Becker BK-7 vs ESEE (RAT) 6

This is a discussion on KABAR/Becker BK-7 vs ESEE (RAT) 6 within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shortly I will be purchasing a new knife; either the KABAR/Becker BK-7, or the ESEE (RAT) 6, and I'd like to hear some opinions from ...

Thread: KABAR/Becker BK-7 vs ESEE (RAT) 6

KABAR/Becker BK-7 vs ESEE (RAT) 6

Shortly I will be purchasing a new knife; either the KABAR/Becker BK-7, or the ESEE (RAT) 6, and I'd like to hear some opinions from you folks that already have them. So, in your opinions...which one is the better knife, and why? Thanks.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

2. Remove Ads

which one has better steel?
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    which one has better steel?
    Both are 1095.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Both are 1095.
    Yeah, both are 1095 Carbon Steel, and have protective rust resistent coatings on their blades.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

I don't have the BK7 nor the RC6(although I do have a RC3 and RC4). At first glance I would say with the steel being similar the only major differences that stand out are grip, sheath, grind, price, and warranty. The sheaths make or break me every time. Just looking at pictures of what they come with I already don't like the BK7's sheath. It's another one of those crappy canvas with square kydex insert deals(in other words, not very secure and noisy if you're on the move). The RATS always come with well thought out and designed sheaths and the blades are a completely flat grind which is slightly different from the BK7 so it's all going to come down to personal preference.

The price of the BK7 is definitely more agreeable, but the warranty is only for "fails to perform due to manufacturer’s defect". The RAT's are "No Questions Asked Warranty" and it's TRANSFERABLE as well. Basically it doesn't matter how they broke or how many times the poor thing has been sold/traded/resold. They'll replace it no matter what. That makes that $30 you saved on the BK7 worth it to me...I'm accident prone. I like things idiot-proofed .
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I don't have the BK7 nor the RC6(although I do have a RC3 and RC4). At first glance I would say with the steel being similar the only major differences that stand out are grip, sheath, grind, price, and warranty. The sheaths make or break me every time. Just looking at pictures of what they come with I already don't like the BK7's sheath. It's another one of those crappy canvas with square kydex insert deals(in other words, not very secure and noisy if you're on the move). The RATS always come with well thought out and designed sheaths and the blades are a completely flat grind which is slightly different from the BK7 so it's all going to come down to personal preference.

The price of the BK7 is definitely more agreeable, but the warranty is only for "fails to perform due to manufacturer’s defect". The RAT's are "No Questions Asked Warranty" and it's TRANSFERABLE as well. Basically it doesn't matter how they broke or how many times the poor thing has been sold/traded/resold. They'll replace it no matter what. That makes that $30 you saved on the BK7 worth it to me...I'm accident prone. I like things idiot-proofed .
    I agree 100%. There is something very satisfying about having that a warranty that quotes roughly as "...even if you cut it in half with a torch..." and ends with "...100% replacement warranty."

But it might just be me...

Ive handled both and personally i like the micarta on the ESEE. It feels alot better in the hand than the Becker. The ESEE warranty is pretty amazing too

Administrator
    I'd opt for the Ontario Rat 7 in D2 Tool Steel while you can still grab one.
    Be warned though the sheath sort of sucks but, (just my opinion) regarding steel that D2 has some edge holding advantage over 1095.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ONTARIO-RAT-7-FI...item1c15170895
    I have purchased knives from this Ebay seller on a couple of past occasions. Honest seller - fast shipping.

Well gosh, if you like them both do yourself justice, get them both. You only live once. Enjoy your life.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I have a Becker Companion. The handles are a little slick. I took mine off and media blasted them, a little better now. I think I might get the extra Micarta handles. I've always wanted a RAT, but the Companions bushcraft style sold me. I will however be making a new sheath.

Links