Martial Blade Camp 2010 - Photos and Details

This is a discussion on Martial Blade Camp 2010 - Photos and Details within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; On Monday I returned from Colorado after attending the four day Martial Blade Camp hosted by Michael Janich. The following are some of my impressions ...

Thread: Martial Blade Camp 2010 - Photos and Details

On Monday I returned from Colorado after attending the four day Martial Blade Camp hosted by Michael Janich. The following are some of my impressions of the experience with some photographs...

This was my sixth camp. I have full MBC instructor certification. Some might wonder "what could you possibly learn and experience after having attended five prior camps to make expending the time, energy and finances to make the trip to Colorado for MBC 2010 worth the effort?"

First, Michael Janich, in addition to being an extremely knowledgable and talented martial artist, is one of the best communicators of knowledge and skill that I have had the opportunity to training with, and I don't limit this statement regarding communication to just the area of martial arts. While I have spend hundreds of hours studying the training material he as produced (and tens of thousands of hours studying martial arts in general and other of life's disciplines) the opportunity to spend four days learning and relearning as Michael instructs, while paying special attention to his teaching methodology, has been a big help in making me a better instructor.

Second, MBC is based on Filipino martial arts skills (with elements of Indonesia, Japanese and other martial arts included) that have been around for centuries. But the system has continued to evolve to make it adaptable to our modern culture and lifestyle with respect to the time most individuals can devote to self-defense training (2 ~ 3 hours per week), individual differences and changes in physical attributes (age, strength, size, flexibility, etc.) and the legal/moral justifications for using deadly force in the United States.

There has been a constant evaluation of existing MBC skills to fine tune them and/or explore how they can be applied under a wider variety of circumstances. Michael is very adept at digging into the physiological potential of a particular technique or series of body movements. Each camp has provided me with new insights into how a little "tweaking" of an existing technique can open up many new possibilities for applying it in different self-defense situations.

My third point will be made by recounting an experience I had on day two of the camp. A "mature" gentlemen (he's my age so I refuse to use the word elderly ) approached me late on the second day of training. He has been a martial arts practitioner for forty years in various disciplines and has trained all over the world. He walked up to me and said "one of the most pleasant and surprising things I have found at the camp is the total lack of egos. All of these people (Michael, the other MBC instructors and the attendees in general) have been so nice and helpful". He had come to this camp of "hardcore" knife fighters not knowing what to expect as far as attitudes, but given his past experience he was expecting to find some inflated egos. What he found was just the opposite.

Many of the MBC instructors are advanced practitioners, certified instructors and experts in other martial arts disciplines, from Praying Mantis Kung Fu to medieval weapons and yet they come with a humble attitude to help make the camp experience a special and educational experience for all of those that attend. This includes Michael who makes a tremendous effort to meet and personally training with each individual at the camp. And as a bonus we had two representatives from Glock that provided a handgun shooting seminar during the camp.

Beyond the instructors each camp has provided a new opportunity to meet and befriend individuals from all over the world that have attended the camp. From as far away as Japan and Columbia, from various walks of life, college students, pastors, doctors, lawyers to active military and law enforcement, the camp has provided an opportunity to meet new people and gain new perspective on a wide range of subjects during the course of the camp.

Finally, Estes Park, Colorado is truly "God's Country". The majesty of the Rocky Mountains is just incredible. Every time I walk outdoors you can't help but stop and take a few moments to take in the amazing view of the mountains that surround you (still some snow on the peaks even in August). It's the icing on may camp experience cake every year!
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post this for us. Michael Janich has been on my wish list of people to train under for years, and this makes me want to attend one of his courses even more.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Great review, 2edgesword! I have one extra question for you...

Was the Yojimbo 2 as sweet as I heard it was? *lol* I know, no details but I was wondering what you first impression was.

With my financial situation seeming to finally get under control after more than a year, I'm hoping that I can squeeze in the MBC camp next summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to post this for us. Michael Janich has been on my wish list of people to train under for years, and this makes me want to attend one of his courses even more.
    If you are in Virginia, Michael is doing a two day seminar in Winchester, VA in November (weekend of the 6th & 7th) in conjunction with Suarez International...

http://www.suarezinternationalstore....chesterva.aspx
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Great review, 2edgesword! I have one extra question for you...

Was the Yojimbo 2 as sweet as I heard it was? *lol* I know, no details but I was wondering what you first impression was.

With my financial situation seeming to finally get under control after more than a year, I'm hoping that I can squeeze in the MBC camp next summer.
    I did get to handle the Yojimbo 2 prototype. It is sweet :). Thicker top edge on the blade (actually the blade seems to be a hybrid of the original Yojimbo blade and the blade on the Be-Wharned, with the Spyderco thumb hole). The blade top also is slightly concave which allows the natural contour of the thumb to rest against the top of the blade versus the flat top of the Yojimbo 1 blade. The handle also has more contour and may just be slightly shorter. It had a liner lock that also seems to have be slightly beefed up. There was discussion of a ballbearing lock like the one on the Manix but that didn't pan out. If my memory serves me correctly the pocket clip is not quite as long as on the original Yojimbo. Easy one hand opening and closing.

This was a prototype so there may be some changes from what I saw and the blade steel is still up in the air. But what I got to play with has me waiting in great anticipation.
    Last edited by 2edgesword; September 3rd, 2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Add additional note on Yojimbo 2

Thanks for the great pictures and info! I've had the pleasure to work with Olympic gold medalists during my martial arts training; the true elite (and professional) practitioners are truly inspiring and humble and I'm glad you had such a positive experience with the folks there!
    If you think you'll lose, you're lost
    For out in the world you'll find
    Success begins with a fellow's will
    It's all in the state of mind.

FYI

With the exception of the group photograph the great photos of the event were provide courtesy of Chris Doner, another camp attendee and professional photographer and talented martial artist.

Links