USMC Tested Combat folders

This is a discussion on USMC Tested Combat folders within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We all had original or next generation KA-BARS when I was in the Corps. Some guys carried a folder as well, but the KA-BAR never ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USMC tested Combat folders

We all had original or next generation KA-BARS when I was in the Corps. Some guys carried a folder as well, but the KA-BAR never let anyone down.

2. Remove Ads

Whats the best fixed blade I could get for self defense/tactical use? I've been looking for one for months. I would lock to find one that has a sheeth that will go horizontally on belt at small of back.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Small of the back is actually really non-optimal for fixed-blade self-defense carry. It's slow, telegraphs horribly, and makes it easy for someone to jam you up if you go for it in a scuffle. Now add the potential of falling on it onto pavement and you can really blow out your lower spine. Imagine how well you'll be able to defend yourself if the jolt temporarily (or permanently) paralyzes your legs. This also applies for firearms in the small of the back as well. Friends don't let friends SOB carry.

Plenty of tactical training folks have spent a ga-zillion hours on the mats and the consensus seems to be horizontal or a 45-degree tip-up carry just to the right or left of the belt buckle for a purpose-driven self defense fixed blade. You probably want to keep the blade a bit shorter (3-1/2" or less seems to work best) and keep the overall width down to 1/2" or so. This placement gives you great access in a scuffle, a really sneaky draw from your hands folded at your waist, and can be carried casually with any untucked shirt. Once you find the knife after shopping around at various stores in your area (don't just buy the flavor-of-the-month from the interwebz, Ok?) then I strongly suggest you discuss your carry option(s) with Matt at Invictus Kydex. He will make sure that you not only have a great knife holder but also a good deployment option as well.

99%+ of factory sheaths are complete trash for SD uses...
    Last edited by psychophipps; September 10th, 2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: corrections

Psycho...thank you! I've trained with knives...just never carried. I am lloking to carry one soon. One fixed blade on waist and one small neck knife.

"Neck knives" actually seem to make the bulk of the preferred small SD fixed blades, EB31. I would go for one of these type of knives for waist carry before I got too excited about larger options.

Neck carry has also gotten some decent mileage here and most of the tactical trainers that have piped up have stated that while they love the neck knives size and easy deployment, they really don't like having a knife around your neck all Loosey Goosey. Imagine, if you will, being in a scuffle where you end up on your side. Now where did that dang knife get to? Is it under your arm? Are you lying on it? Did the BG randomly grab it in his fist as he grabbed your shirt so you can't pull it anyway? Too many potential problems when you're already neck deep in it and don't have a lot of clarity where ineffectually flailing for your knife is a highly likely chance due to task fixation. You want your defensive tools to be right there as close to 100% of the time as possible.

I carry several knives daily a tiny leek on my key chain for when I need a sharp razor for detail work. A Boker Subcom don't let its diminutive size fool you an extremely effective defensive tool, in my right front pocket used as a money clip tool of last resort. Convex edged scalpel sharp only use it to cut meat. My Kershaw Outlaw is my utility cut everything knife. My current fixed blades are a Boker MPT legal in most jurisdictions its small handle provides a solid grip while reducing the knife foot print both visually and practically. Sheathed it is a small non threatening appearing utility blade. It has a wide thick tanto tipped blade design. Designed for slicing dicing and stabbing excellent offensive and defensive tool. Last my hide out blade is a Becker necker I have both the high carbon and San MAI version. Easy to conceal a quick sharp nimble blade for close in work. I never put anything around my neck that can become a noose and won't carry a knife in anyway that can be easily broken apart.
    Knife reviews are great but I can never decide if a knife will work for me until I have handled it. So while the internet is a great source for good prices a lot of those great deals seem to end up in that drawer with those other knives
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Knife reviews are great but I can never decide if a knife will work for me until I have handled it. So while the internet is a great source for good prices a lot of those great deals seem to end up in that drawer with those other knives.
    This is the reason why I try to remember to always add a "Be sure to hit up as many stores as you can to try it out before you buy" bit into any "What knives are good?" thread responses. Seriously guys, you need to hold these things and mess around with them a bit before you buy or you'll just end up tossing them into a drawer like our friend above (and myself quite a few times as well).

Buy right or buy twice, right?

Are there any other folders besides the Strider SMF issued to Marines? With NSN numbers in the supply chain? (Really, not a baiting question.)
    God, country, family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links