USMC tested Combat folders

USMC Tested Combat folders

This is a discussion on USMC Tested Combat folders within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have posted this information on another thread but thought it may be of interest to this forum members In the September issue of "Leatherneck ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USMC tested Combat folders

I have posted this information on another thread but thought it may be of interest to this forum members

In the September issue of "Leatherneck Magazine" starting on page 54 the USMC puts "combat" folders to the test.

A gentleman by the name of Homer Brett* Was the lead on this testing program. The testing was preformed by 6 US Marines.

The knives that were tested were:

1. Spartan--------------Cold Steel
    2. XM-2TS--------------Ontario Knife Co
    3. Dozier Bobcat--------K-Bar
    4. M16-14ZSF-----------Columbia River (CRNT)
    5. 200ST-----------------Zero Tolerance
    6. Griptillian------------Benchmade Knives
    7. Kalashnikov 101------Boker USA
    8. 18 Delta---------------Timberline Tactical
    9. TF-7 Trident-----------SOF
    10. Applegate-Fairbairn--Gerber Knives
    11. Endura----------------Spyderco
    12. Buck/Tops CSAR-T---Buck Knives

The tests
    1. Cut a commercial grade cardboard sheet into a dozen pieces
    2. Cut through a 1-meter length of 1.5 mm military web straps
    3. Cut through a .5 meter length of heavy nylon-poly rope
    4. Cut through two 7/8 in hardwood dowel rods
    5. Cut through two 2x4 pine boards
    6. Stab through a Kevlar Flak jacket (without plates) 3 times
    7. Split a piece of firewood using a 2x4 as a field-expedient hammer
    8. Bury and uncover a simulated mine
    9. Open a steel can.

The article noted that the blades were sharpened with a Benchmade sharpening tool as needed.

Apparently In this testing they determined that the Kalashnikov 101--Boker USA was the overall "stellar preformer' with some minor quirks.

For further indepth information read the article.

I don't recall the article acknowledging how these knives were chosen to be tested.

* Homer Brett is a Marine veteran and the Subject Matter Expert on edged weapons for the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. He authored the book “The Military Knife & Bayonet.”

The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Just trying to figure out what those folders are offering a Marine that a small fixed blade wouldn't do better in terms of strength, ease of deployment, and toughness. Folders are great for civilians where they might be restricted in their jurisdiction or for social reasons but I don't see them being necessary for a soldier at all what with all of the potential issues they may have in the field.

I carried a Gerber straight edged folder with para chord laynard style with me every where but I also always had my Kbar and my bayonet on me. USMC family are an edged weapon culture. We love our knives. We also did knife fighting drills with rubber knives for PT atleast three times a week even when in the field, it was a blast.
    Now that I think of it I carry even more knives as a Cop, I have two fixed blade knives and a folder with left handed access and a neck knife as well. I carry a Ontario Spec plus sp6 fighter in my jump out daily bag i keep in my front passenger seat and my original Kbar next to my right leg in the Patrol cruiser strapped to my radio bracket. I don't know why I love knives so much. Guess it was the Corps.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I have an original , early 1980's, A.J. Russell one hand folder. It has done EVERYTHING in their test including dressing a deer, and scraping head gaskets.

Not bad for a relatively inexpensive 440C stainless steel blade.

I would sure like to see where the other knives rated in 1 - 12. Can you provide that information for us?

You left out the best part off all the information. How each knife ranked in the line-up.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Not bad for a relatively inexpensive 440C stainless steel blade.

I would sure like to see where the other knives rated in 1 - 12. Can you provide that information for us?

You left out the best part off all the information. How each knife ranked in the line-up.
    They didn't rank the knives, they did list what each knife did or didn't do well.

The article (4 pages long) only listed the Kalashnikov 101------Boker USA, as the pick of the litter.

Kalashnikov 101.... odd... 440c is kinda sucky

Did any of the kives survive the Marines?

If heattreated well, 440C can be a pretty good all arround-steel in my oppinion.
    And Böker just does that.
    (Like Buck an their 420HC)

I'm old school on the knives and the USMC I'm guessing. Combat and folders? I can't see it myself. Maybe to open letters from home. Maybe to cut parachute cord to get you out of a tree before the enemy shoots you down. Against the enemy? A folder will fold IMO. Against the enemy, only a fixed blade will do. I don't care what engineering has been put behind the folder. Plain and simple. I guess we just need to know the best application of a folder in combat.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    My main issue is the bargain basement price points. Seems pretty dumb to not test a Spyderco knife called the "Military" or a flagship tactical folder of Benchmade like the 710. I can appreciate that soldiers (and Marines) don't have a ton of spare cash but we're talking about a potentially lifesaving tool here. At least take your tool selection a bit more seriously before you go gobbing off about "the best folder".

A blade in the field should be viewed more as a utility tool, not a "combat" tool. Folders have their place with the equipment employed, but a fix blade, well, K.I.S.S. No springs, locks, simply speedy deployment.

I carried a Gerber straight edged folder with para chord laynard style with me every where but I also always had my Kbar and my bayonet on me. USMC family are an edged weapon culture. We love our knives. We also did knife fighting drills with rubber knives for PT atleast three times a week even when in the field, it was a blast.
    What Patrol said ! A lot of Marines will carry several knives, along with a Leatherman or multi-tool of some sort.

In Iraq I had a Chris Reeve Yarborough knife paired up with a Benchmade folder and a Leatherman tool. 3 different blades for different jobs. I think I ordered another 3 while I was deployed too !

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    What about striders smf or gbs.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thank you all for the input and more so for your service. My youngest son is going through college on a Naval ROTC scholarship, Marine option and when he graduates he gets my Cold Steel, mini-tanto, and cold steel XL folding Tanto as new tools. Again thank you who serve for without you the idea of a forum like this would never exist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links