Non lethal carry choices?

This is a discussion on Non lethal carry choices? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We were having a debate on non lethal carries here at work and I was wondering what are your views on a non lethal carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We were having a debate on non lethal carries here at work and I was wondering what are your views on a non lethal carry for a 2nd carry. Would you, do you, and what non lethal do you feel is best and why? The majority here at work seem to think pepper spray is the best to carry as to not use lethal force unless necessary. I think pepper spray has flaws like indoor use and think maybe a taser might be a better choice. I value your opinions and would like to hear them on this subject.

Pepper spray is easier to carry and conceal than the Taser. If you understand its limitations, I believe it is a better choice for a civvie (you don't have armed backup if you miss/Taser fails). OC gel is good stuff, indoors.

Taser is definitely out there and available, but I still see it as a bit too high-tech for the carried-much-used-once-in-a-blue-moon role. Reliability is paramount when you're on your own (CCW), and OC/CS, to me, has the historical edge at this time.

The oc spray is a good option but take my advice and stay away from the gels and foams. Just get the standard liquid stream stuff. If you have to spray someone with foam or gel then its a possibility that they will wipe it off and throw it back at you. I've seen this done before in person, I used to have the foam at work but we switched to the stream.

As for the stun gun - I dont have any experience with them but I've heard that it can cause heart attacks in some instances. I wouldnt want that if your going for less than lethal.

Hate to show my ignorance, but what does "OC" stand for in this context?

And do you recommend a particular brand of pepper spray?
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojoski

Oleoresin Capsicum is what O.C. stands for

In addition to my Glock and Keltec, I carry OC, an ASP baton, as well as a koppo stick on my keychain.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojoski

The best "non-denominational" analysis I've encountered:
    http://www.totalprotectioninteractiv...ighlight=spray

Register to view.

"Pepper Spray Primer" is the title, if it doesn't take you directly there, after registration.

I used OC quite a bit as a Corrections Officer, the downside is it doesn't work on everyone, and you always get some of it on you. But when it works, it works great.

I like Sabre Red and the FOX labs products.

I carry OC, SIG 226,1 reload and a Kershaw/Ken Onion folder.

I also have a kubaton that I have trained with and carry occasionally, but for legal purposes (batons are civilian no-nos in Tx) I prefer to use a surefire or mini mag for the same tactics.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Assistant Administrator
    Fox labs OC streaming.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsor
    Non-Leathal?

First, ny impresions/opinions on OC. OC is unreliable, you have to remember to shake it before you use it [ who to hell is going to either remember that or have the time to do it? ]. It doesn't work on everyone and you will get it on you likely as others have mentioned.

Non-lethal for me is H2H skills, Kubaton, stick off the ground, or a rock [ not for throwing ], ashtray at the bar, curtain rod, whatever I can get into my hands thats convenient at the time.

Out in the open and caught unaware [ unlikely ], or when flying, I have a delrin rod kubaton [ and have the knowledge/training to use it effectively ], or my keyring.

I won't let my wife carry OC either, she'll only get into more trouble trying to use it if she could get to it and have the time to shake it, and not get it all over herself.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I have pretty much given up on OC as well.

I don't mean to be a nit-picker, but I've noticed LEO's like to reffer to OC, Tazers, ect as "less than lethal," no longer, "non lethal," for liability issues (The fact that all of these "non-lethal methods have killed people from time to time)

I dont have experience carrying less than lethal weapons, but I do take interest in the subject so I talk to alot of LEO's and friends that are LEO. In fact, last weekend I was doing a ride-a-long with my brother (A local deputy) and the deputies were talking about how the Sheriff asked them which less than lethal they want to get rid of (because of all the complaints of running out of room in their belts). They all said the same thing, "they do all take up alot of space, but every one is worth having. They all do one thing better than the others."

I completely agree with them, and for good reason. Every less than lethal weapon seems to kick-butt in certain situations. It's just my opinion, but it would seem that less than lethals should be treated just like a firearm. Learn what it can and can't do, and try to use the ltl to the best of it's abilities.

As for recomendations. I've heard good talk about Fox Labs typically, but I've also heard some complaints about them. First Defense seems to get nothing but praises, and that is what I would recomend if somebody personally asked me.

:)
    Beretta 92FS

VIP Member
    I'm ASP certified, but I very rarely carry a baton anymore. I'm only suposed to use my baton in the same situations as I would a gun. Since that's the case, I would rather use the more powerful and effective means to defend myself. The only advantages the ASP would have, then, is if I had a bad backstop and wouldn't want to shoot and risk harming an innocent person, or if there were places I could not legally carry my guan but could take my ASP. And I dropped the ASP almost entirely because I felt my knife was much more effective, more concealable, and I could also use it for utility purposes.

I've never been a big fan of OC, though it's certainly better than no defensive weapon, and good for people unwilling on unable to carry firearms. In high school, a class had to be evacuated because a girl's OC spray leaked into the room and made everyone start gagging. I'd hate for that to happen to me, or end up downwind of my own spray!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator

Question When You Say Tazer

Do you mean Tazer or Stun Gun?

Because they are two different things.

Tazer fires electrically charged projectiles.---------------------------->

Stun Gun just Contact ZAPS with a gazillion volts. =
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I carry a Minimag flashlight or a Sharpie for just such needs....

both can be used as Yawara-bo....

Also, have the option for lethality with these as necessity dictates....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links