Folding knife; tip up or down?

This is a discussion on Folding knife; tip up or down? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by shockwave Of course, I use the driver to remove the stupid clips from my knives. Which brings me to a little rant ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folding knife; tip up or down?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Of course, I use the driver to remove the stupid clips from my knives.

Which brings me to a little rant I have on this subject... What kind of idiotic numbskull came up with the idea of putting a silly "clip" on knives? Seems like most of them have this unwanted, unneeded, unhelpful gewgaw of a gimcrack slapped on, and you have to spend money to get a specialty tool in order to get it off so you can throw it in the garbage. Note to knife owners: That thing called a "pocket knife"? You may be interested to know that there is a clue embedded in the term "pocket knife." You may be no Sherlock Holmes, maybe you won't make the next season of CSI, but put on your thinking cap and ponder the term "pocket knife" and should the muse attend you with a visitation, you'll notice why the stupid clip is a superfluous accessory.

Any decent knife has a handle, and there's ergonomics, and stuff. The last thing you want is a strip of metal grinding on your fingers and palm. What? Would you repeat that? "No, you don't understand - the clip enables a fast-draw from my pocket and..." OK, gunslinger, let's make a little bet: You find me all the people who successfully used a knife for defense and for whom the stupid clip made a big difference, and without it they would have been SOL, and I'll find all the people who lost their Spyderco, Griptilian, Benchmade, CRKT, Ken Onion cutie because it fell out of their pocket while they were sitting somewhere. My group will be larger than yours. By several orders of magnitude.

Thank you.
    I'm pretty sure that the thought, "Man, if I didn't have this clip thingy I'd have been hosed!" didn't enter their minds because chances are...it had the clip thingy since they bought the knife...because it's about ten times handier than fumbling around in your pocket for it. Kind of like, "Boy, I sure am glad that my pistol had some sights on it!" if they had to use it in an unfortunate incident. Duh?!?

As a person that, just yesterday, had to fumble in their pocket holding a set of house keys, the car keys, and a small cellular phone for over five seconds I can honestly say that if my car keys had been my only SD tool, I would have been way behind the curve for access.

2. Remove Ads

Any decent knife has a handle, and there's ergonomics, and stuff. The last thing you want is a strip of metal grinding on your fingers and palm. What? Would you repeat that? "No, you don't understand - the clip enables a fast-draw from my pocket and..." OK, gunslinger, let's make a little bet: You find me all the people who successfully used a knife for defense and for whom the stupid clip made a big difference, and without it they would have been SOL, and I'll find all the people who lost their Spyderco, Griptilian, Benchmade, CRKT, Ken Onion cutie because it fell out of their pocket while they were sitting somewhere. My group will be larger than yours. By several orders of magnitude.
    - I always use the clip, not for deployment reasons, but for convenience reasons. I already have enough stuff in my pockets (cell phone, keys, etc.) that I don't need another thing floating around. With a pocket clip, I always know where my knife is going to be.

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    No HD real close, but I'll keep them in mind. My hardware store went down to #8 and these screws must be 6. Sad thing is, I know I've got one of those screwdrivers that came with 30 bits around somewhere... I never found it after the move 9 years ago.

"Little" rant, Shockwave? lol
    Truth be told, like others, I just want to keep the knife against the side of my pocket. If it were a small fingernail cleaning pocket knife I wouldn't care if it sat in the bottom of my pocket with my change and keys. It's handy reaching in and knowing exactly where the knife is going to be and what direction it's going to be facing, kind of like using a holster for a pocket pistol. I can see your point though about having something extra on the handle.

Which brings me to a little rant I have on this subject... What kind of idiotic numbskull came up with the idea of putting a silly "clip" on knives? Seems like most of them have this unwanted, unneeded, unhelpful gewgaw of a gimcrack slapped on, and you have to spend money to get a specialty tool in order to get it off so you can throw it in the garbage. Note to knife owners: That thing called a "pocket knife"? You may be interested to know that there is a clue embedded in the term "pocket knife." You may be no Sherlock Holmes, maybe you won't make the next season of CSI, but put on your thinking cap and ponder the term "pocket knife" and should the muse attend you with a visitation, you'll notice why the stupid clip is a superfluous accessory.

Thank you.
    Hmmm.... not one of my dozen or so folding knives with clips has the word "pocket" anywhere in its advertised description. Shock, you may lump all folding knives under the colloquial term "pocket knife," but apparently their various manufacturers do not.

As others have vouched with their posts, the actual, everyday use of the clip on folders is not to enable a "fast draw" but rather to keep the knife in one consistent, predictable location. In everyday use, my compact folder with a clip (happens to be a Gerber Applegate/Fairbairn "mini") resides unclipped in my front pocket. Because the knife is nearly symmetrical, the presence of the clip allows me to index my fingers on the knife and achieve the correct orientation as it's drawn. But when I'm out hunting or hiking, you can bet I have at least two folders clipped to pockets left and right, and occasionally a third clipped to a piece of gear like a Camelback. (Not the mention the non-folding knife that's in the kit.)

I work in an engineering lab, and we're all practical people. Everyone I know - even the gals - carries folding knives, and most appear to be carried clipped inside pockets. In the decade-plus since Spyderco popularized the folding kinfe with clip, I have yet to see or hear of a clipped knife falling out of a pocket because it had a clip on it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Folding knife; tip up or down?
    Tip-up with the knives I carry (Spyderco Native FRN, Delica), given that the "hole" the thumb uses to open the blade rotates the blade out and down until it's locked into place.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    That's the torx set that I have as well.
    I carry a Benchmade Mini-Griptilian against the back of the weak-side front pocket, tip-up. Standing at the top of a ladder, steadying yourself with one hand, that clip is really nice so you don't have to fumble in your pocket to find your knife.
    Last edited by ak56; September 26th, 2010 at 06:22 PM. Reason: missing a letter 'a'

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar
    After carrying the knife, clip unchanged, for a few days now, I'm kind of liking the tip down position. Letting the knife pivot between my thumb and index finger and the handle fall into my hand, then pushing the blade open, is becoming second nature. Quite a bit different than my old Spyderco where you held onto the blade and flipped the handle down into your hand. I've played around placing the knife into my pocket unclipped, as if I had switched the clip's position, and don't like the way I have to work the handle down into my palm with my fingers in order to reach the thumb stud to open it, but I'm sure it's whatever you get used to. Like anything.

Tip up because it puts the knife in a more natural position in your hand to facilitate opening it versus tip down.

And ditto those that talked about the practical utility of having a pocket clip.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links