Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes

This is a discussion on Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I weird out my male friends here when I whip out my cutting tools. They know I carry knives but it's somehow shocking to them ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I weird out my male friends here when I whip out my cutting tools. They know I carry knives but it's somehow shocking to them when I pull one out when they ask for a cutting tool for some reason.

2. Remove Ads

The Benchmade Bedlam is a good self defense show piece, too--maybe seeing it would deter a BG--but either way...

Great story, Lima!

At church a while back, one of the mothers was trying to cut something with a plastic knife and was failing miserably. So, I asked if she'd like me to cut it with my knife. She accepted my offer, so I pulled out my Spyderco Endura Black Blade (3.75" blade) with a combo edge, quickly opened it one-handed and made short work of the task. Her 9 y.o. daughter stared with eyes opened wide. As I was cleaning it off, I reassured the girl that it was just my pocket knife, to which she replied that it was my "scary knife". As I closed it one-handed and clipped it back into my pocket, I replied "It's just a handy tool." :D
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
    - George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

Anyone remember this commercial?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXmbeGikYRg

Not far from being accurate.

One I just recalled. We were on standby as a platoon for one of our "festivities" eating lunch. I whipped out my MKII to cut up an apple I had. The response from my sgt was, "Oh crap! Please don't kill anybody with that thing, it would not look good."

Heh, I wonder what kinds of looks you would have gotten from the other moms Lima if you would have pulled out a Benchmade Infidel or any other automatic.

"Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    LOL cute story. Just wondering: Do you fully conceal it? I've often wished I could legally conceal a blade where I live.
    Move to Georgia where it is legal to conceal any weapon now. PERIOD!!!

If you can stuff a bolt action .300 win mag down your pants you are allowed to.

Machette who cares, bowie knife no big deal, ninja sword, go for it.

This was just passed this last legislative season.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Idaho is similar.

(7) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, or on property in which the person has any ownership or leasehold interest, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon without a license to carry a concealed weapon. For the purposes of this section, a concealed weapon means any dirk, dirk knife, bowie knife, dagger, pistol, revolver or any other deadly or dangerous weapon. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any lawfully possessed shotgun or rifle.

Cool

Unfortunately Lima that is the reaction of the sheep.

Also unfortunate is the fact that they do not recognize you for what you are, a Sheepdog.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Lima, next time you do that, I want to be there videoing it. It will immediately go on YouTube. Imagine the number of hits.

Here are some more response you could have used:
    "You really can use it, I already cleaned off the blood from the last guy I stabbed."
    "You really can use it, I just sharpened it."
    "You really can use it, Garrett has his own that he uses"
    "You really can use it, I have a back up knife"
    "You really can use it, I have a gun, too"
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

yeah, I got the same doe-eyed response when I flipped open my serrated Delica on a cub scout outing. Only that time it was a group of fathers. cut a notch in a stake and the excess from a guyline one-handed before anyone could deploy their dollar store swiss army knives.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    "You really can use it, Garrett has his own that he uses"
    I vote for this one, take it a step farther and get him a rubber trainer

I get the same looks from people, even those who know A) I am prior military B) grew up in a rough neighborhood and C) am a self defense enthusiast.

The real fun part is when I have my utility knife out (GOG Salute) and they catch a glimpse of my SD knife (SOG Flash II Tanto), MWAHAHAHAHA!

The best looks I have ever gotten was when I was in France for work several years ago and I took my Case Firefighter knife

Lima, I would hope the other Moms know you well enough to know you are not dangerous and are smart enough to not carry a tool you are not familiar with. If they aren't I think I have an idea for a Mother's Day Out class you can host.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Everytime I use my Microtech Automatic OTF I get the same looks It never gets old

EDIT: Finally reached post 1,000
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

That was a really great story. I don't know why the typical sheep response makes me laugh every time. It made me think of my wife at our 2 yr old's play group....she's always sure to have a adequate cover garment because she's worried about the sheep response should her shirt/sweater ride up over the grip of her SP101. I can't even imagine what your group might have said or thought should they somehow learn that you (probably) had a gun concealed on you as well. In fact...I wonder what they would think of his DC nickname...speedloader, is it?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links