Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes

This is a discussion on Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It will always amuse me, that unconscious, wide-eyed, step back-lean back that everyone does whenever I deploy one of my "big scary" knives (mostly your ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes

It will always amuse me, that unconscious, wide-eyed, step back-lean back that everyone does whenever I deploy one of my "big scary" knives (mostly your basic spydercos, endura, delica, etc). I finally got a small Spyderco "Spin" model to take out for mundane tasks in view of others. Nobody has the instinctual need to "get away" from that one yet.

People are funny.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Assuming you'll be invited back to playgroup, lol.
    I guess because you "steathily" carry it, that was a pretty big surprise for her. If you simply wore it on a belt, in sight, it might have been more readily accepted. If I was wearing a hidden knife I can't say I would produce it for cutting an apple. Well, maybe at deer camp ;^)

yeah she might be shopping for a new playgroup soon, lol
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I am kinda surprised there was no "911" call! Next time we want a video clip! LMAO!!!
    God Bless the troops...especially the snipers!
    -LaRue Tactical -

Nice. I love it when a woman has a weapon.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

I wear longish shirts to hide my OTB carry gun,and have carried big knives around and even a small Gerber machete a few times.The best thing to do is have a small folder clipped in your pocket so you dont hand someone that big ass knife,and they see your gun.

I carry this small knife for this reason. Everyone freaks if I use my Strider GB in public.

Lima,

Your story reminds me of this year's block party. My 14 yo daughter comes up to me and asks me for my knife as someone needed to cut open some food packages. I handed her my ZT350 and she walked over to the table and flicked it open like a pro and handed it, handle first, to one of the neighborhood moms. You should have seen her face! Priceless!

I can only imagine what a kind of responses a glimpse of your 1911 would have elicited from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    I too wish it were legal to conceal a fixed blade in Ohio.
    Can you go into more detail on this? I was unaware that it was illegal to conceal a fixed blade in Ohio. As I understand it the knife laws in Ohio vary between locales. The TDI she is talking about is less than 3" which I thought was legal just about anywhere in Ohio. This is of course assuming that your knife is a "tool" not a "weapon".

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    I can only imagine what a kind of responses a glimpse of your 1911 would have elicited from the group.
    I imagine it would of been something like this...

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by scott314 View Post
    Can you go into more detail on this? I was unaware that it was illegal to conceal a fixed blade in Ohio. As I understand it the knife laws in Ohio vary between locales. The TDI she is talking about is less than 3" which I thought was legal just about anywhere in Ohio. This is of course assuming that your knife is a "tool" not a "weapon".
    ORC is intentionally vague on knives and concealment of knives. I have had more than one LEO tell me that if they want to they could push the issue to include any folding knife. And that most OH LEO consider any fixed blade knife to be "a deadly weapon". The problem is that it is wide open to interpretation. Who's interpretation counts? Yours? Mine?...
    2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I would never try this in the city,but i like to head into my hometown of Ellijay for the Apple Festival.I feel like im in the country again (compared to Atlanta),and i open carry a fixed knife bigger than 6".Cops have seen it and not said anything.

I have heard of an incident at a dinner for a certain organization that shall remain nameless. Someone happened to have need of a knife and announced it from the speakers podium. I am told it sounded like the tap dancers from "Riverdance" as all the auto and assist opening knives were brought out. Caused a good laugh for all.

I guess most of us have a story. I think the best is from the jewelery store. I had just bought a watch and the girl was trying to cut the price tag off for me. She was using really inventive tools like a pair of pliers, small screwdriver and finally a letter opener. I asked if she wanted me to cut it for her and she said sure. As she was engrossed in her continued efforts, I pulled out my CRKT M16 and opened it. I used two hands but it still makes a solid thunk, she never noticed. Then I said 'Here, I'll get it' she looked up and saw the knife. I wish I would have had video on. She froze, eyes as big as saucers and even started to shake.

Well it only took a second to cut the string and the knife was back in my pocket by the time she had taken her next breath. I leaned over to my wife and whispered "Better not show her the new gun". We were friends with the owners family so there really was no issue. We all got a giggle our of her reaction.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    ORC is intentionally vague on knives and concealment of knives. I have had more than one LEO tell me that if they want to they could push the issue to include any folding knife. And that most OH LEO consider any fixed blade knife to be "a deadly weapon". The problem is that it is wide open to interpretation. Who's interpretation counts? Yours? Mine?...
    2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.
    ORC 2923.11
    (A) “Deadly weapon” means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.

I hear you on the interpretation issue. I don't want to be a test case, but if you look at the ORC definition of a "deadly weapon" it seems to be dependent on the intent of the user.

I understand that we are operating in a gray area, but unless I attack someone with it, my TDI is no more a weapon than a box cutter. In fact a box cutter recently led to the deaths of thousands of people, but I bet a Ka-Bar TDI has never been used in the commission of a crime. I use mine every day to open packages, cut string, and fix various things.

I understand, and respect, your interpretation of the relevant parts of the ORC, but I will continue to carry my Ka-Bar daily with the belief that I am doing so in full compliance with Ohio law.
    Last edited by scott314; October 21st, 2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links