Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes

This is a discussion on Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think limatunes story is awesome and a true testament to what mothers should be. Soccer moms need to protect there own as well... I ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Those Big, Bad, Black Knifes

I think limatunes story is awesome and a true testament to what mothers should be. Soccer moms need to protect there own as well...
    I have a few stories but wont go into detail. I love the blank look on peoples faces though. PRICELESS!

2. Remove Ads

I had an incident like that when I was working at a Honda Dealership as a service advisor. A young collegiate co-ed had came in to the service area complaining of a dragging or scraping noise coming from underneath the vehicle.

I went outside to her car and discovered a splash guard had partially torn off from underneath the front of the car and was probably the source of her noise that she had complained about.

I asked her if she would like me to remove it or at least cut the dangling part off for her so it didn't drag on the ground anymore. She said sure and I promptly produced my Cold Steel Gunsite folder and lopped off the hanging plastic.

Her jaw hit the floor when I had it out and open so quickly. After I cut the plastic off, she then smiled and said that a knife of that size was pretty handy huh.

I agreed and wished her a good day. Too funny.

Excellent story, Lima, and excellent story-telling, as always. You do know though, you need a K-Bar so you don't spook them as much?

Try being at work and your boss is asking for a knife because the one he uses is as dull as a 2x4. He is trying to cut some boxes open and his dull knife won`t do it. No one has a knife. The boss asks again! Does anyone have a knife I can use? Everyone is quiet. I say I have one. He says can I use it? I ask are you sure you want to? He looks at me and says I need to open these boxes. I hand my boss my Cold Steel Voyager with the 5" blade. His eyes get HUGE. He looks at the knife and says why do you have such a large knife on company proterty? I ask do you want to use it? Boss uses the knife and says it is sharp. I say yes it is, I sharpen my knives. He opens the last box and looks at me. He shakes his head and hands me the knife, blade folded. Now when we are at work the Boss will ask for a knife and look at me. I handed him my large Benchmade Skirmish one day when he asked for a knife. He grinned from ear to ear.
    Keep your powder dry

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotbrass View Post
    Try being at work and your boss is asking for a knife because the one he uses is as dull as a 2x4. He is trying to cut some boxes open and his dull knife won`t do it. No one has a knife. The boss asks again! does anyone have a knife I can use? Everyone is quiet. I say I have one. He says can I use it? I ask are you sure you want to? He looks at me and says I need to open these boxes. I hand my boss my Cold Steel Voyager with the 5" blade. His eyes get HUGE. He looks at the knife and says why do you have such a large knife on company proterty? I ask do you want to use it? Boss uses the knife and says it is sharp. I say yes it is, I sharpen my knives. He opens the last box and looks at me. He shakes his head and hands me the knife, blade folded. Now when we are at work the Boss will ask for a knife and look at me. I handed him my large Benchmade Skirmish one day when he asked for a knife. He grinned from ear to ear.
    I have the same knife, I refer to it as my folding ninja sword.

Lima I really like your posts. Way to go. I really get a kick out of peoples reactions when it's assumed the person is "safe" suddenly shows that they have claws the size of a grizzly bears. And don't have to use them.
    Luvmy40, I have the same rainbow knife for the same reason. But the bigger knife rides on the other side.
    "Come Watson, the game is afoot!"

HKR
    Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    Move to Georgia where it is legal to conceal any weapon now. PERIOD!!!..............This was just passed this last legislative season.
    Well.....no.
    The bill that passed this year did change the Georgia Firearms License to the Georgia Weapons License. It did change the law to include carry of knifes with a blade of 5" or more. Anything smaller is not covered by state preemption, thus allowing every town, city or county to decide what is legal in their jurisdiction, the same as they can with tazers or batons or any other "weapons" besides firearms and the already mentioned 5" blades.

I have a TDI and there are many places in the state where I cannot carry it due to local ordinances. In those places I carry a larger blade so that I am covered by my GWL.

I believe that in the future the law will be changed to encompass smaller blades and other weapons. This year was 99% about getting the Public Gathering law changed and the places we can carry expanded, anything else was just icing.

I was at a trailwork party and a guy was ineffectually ripping open heavy bags of dry concrete. I offered up my 4" Voyager Tanto to him and he looked at it, looked and me and disdainfully said "I'll just rip them open, thanks." whatever, work harder not smarter, I'm not the efficiency police. I also get some seriously funny looks cutting apples at work with my CRKT mini Crawford-Kasper...

In my office (at least the IT team) you can't go from one cubical to another without having quick access to a Kershaw, Gerber, or other equally "dangerous" tool. When I first started working there I just carried a small Swiss Army Knife and got teased that I needed to have a "real" knife at work. So now I carry a Kershaw Tanto Blur, Gerber Multitool, and the same small Swiss Army Knife ;)

We're a well armed department.
    Inter arma enim silent leges
    "For among times of arms, the laws fall mute"

Funny! I bet I would get a similar reaction with my Boker MPT or Kershaw spec bump

Typical. About as funny as folks giving a black Ruger Mini the evil eye when it's got the black furniture, versus thinking it's a run of the mill target rifle if it's got the wooden furniture. (I've seen that numerous times.) I have yet to see a "barrel shroud" that caused a murder.

Limatunes, while you don't appear to be someone who would lose a friend over a knife with a certain utility being brought out to assist another, some of the others at that table appear to be that sort. The more things change, the more some things stay the same, eh?

As a mentor used to say: it's hard to see when one's eyes are closed so tightly. Same thing goes for the mind.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    ORC is intentionally vague on knives and concealment of knives. I have had more than one LEO tell me that if they want to they could push the issue to include any folding knife. And that most OH LEO consider any fixed blade knife to be "a deadly weapon". The problem is that it is wide open to interpretation. Who's interpretation counts? Yours? Mine?...
    2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

(A) No person shall knowingly carry or have, concealed on the person’s person or concealed ready at hand, any of the following:

(1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.
    I really can't stand vague laws that allow for interpretation. A friend of mine who is a police commissioner said it give them flexiblity. I said it opens up the opportunity for corruption and instead of being a nation of laws it comes down to who you know or the general mood of the officer that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Heh, I wonder what kinds of looks you would have gotten from the other moms Lima if you would have pulled out a Benchmade Infidel or any other automatic.

Dang, I missed this thread........I was deployed ATT. Very funny story Lima. Silly Moms.
    My wife, SWMBO, got Santa to bring me a new Benchmade for Christmas. That thing gets a few 'looks' but nothing like your experience.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Have a similar story. Was at an doctors Christmas party in Seattle and the bartender had forgotten a knife so he could not cut lemons limes. I offered him the use of my knife. He accepted but when I took it out, discreetly opening my old Kershaw Outlaw folder with my thumb and handed it to the bartender, one of the metro sexual tech's literally leaped ten feet back and let out a squeal. "Why are you carrying that weapon" I could not help but laugh and had to resist the temptation to say that's a tool, this is my weapon and show him the .45 on my hip. Which I did not give into, as my wife led me off to talk to one of the docs. A constant source of amazement for me how different things are a short ferry ride across the water where we live, where they think nothing of anyone carrying a knife even in the local courthouse
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

No kidding, there I was, 25 yrs ago in Catholic HS. Teacher gets a package and asks, "As much as I hate to ask this, does anyone have a knife?" Half the class leans to the side reaching for their pockets.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links