Wasp & Hornet Spray

This is a discussion on Wasp & Hornet Spray within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sometimes BGs wear masks that can also provide eye protection (or maybe tight-wrapping sunglasses). No OC or wasp/hornet spray is going to do any good ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wasp & Hornet Spray

Sometimes BGs wear masks that can also provide eye protection (or maybe tight-wrapping sunglasses). No OC or wasp/hornet spray is going to do any good there.

2. Remove Ads

sorry to bump an old thread.

A few years ago when I was 18 and therefore not able to carry i was on my way home from a friends house where we were building our demo derby cars. On a one lane country road a car was stopped blocking the road. I honked and apparently the man driving was in a bad mood he got out of his car ran to my driver door and ripped open my door. I then remembered I had a can of carb cleaner in my center console. I put about half a can in that crazy mans face and I can tell you that worked way better then OC would have. the man started screaming and ran back to his car where his passenger had to get into the drivers seat and drive away. When the Sheriffs office called me and I told them my story they told me "good for you" and asked if I wanted to press charges, deciding he had gotten the worst side of it already I decided not to. So I will agree a firearm is definitely way better then any sort of spray and would have much rather had one with me then, In an emergency a spray of some nasty chemical will stop the guy.

There will most likely be an assault charge or a huge civil suit if you purposely use wasp spray on someone in self defense. It's happened a few time that I have heard from news stories.

Not a good thing and that is a risk I would rather not take.....in any state

Perhaps in NY, but if one lives in a state with a civil immunity clause, I'd say using a chemical spray in SD isn't going to get you into a lawsuit with the perp or his/her family.

Do you know any women other than your wife who likes to shoot? If so, have her ask your wife to go shooting with her. Not you, just a "girl's day out." Many women, in this case, have performance anxiety. Ask her to enroll in a self defense with firearms course. Make it a birthday / anniversary / Christmas gift. She will love you for it.

Using wasp spray, WD-40, break cleaner, whatever, can be considered assault with a caustic chemical (a felony) and perhaps a federal felony. Not a good idea. Using those can result in some very serious legal problems, and upon conviction of a felony, kiss your gun rights good-bye, not to mention a large chuck of money and future earnings in a civil suit.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by RochPersDef View Post
    There will most likely be an assault charge or a huge civil suit if you purposely use wasp spray on someone in self defense. It's happened a few time that I have heard from news stories.

Not a good thing and that is a risk I would rather not take.....in any state

No need to apologize for reviving an "old" thread. Input is important. I'll say one thing, glad you had that can of carb cleaner and thought to use it (only defense you had at the time), and I'm glad you didn't have a pistol at the time since deadly force may not have been the right venue under the circumstances.

A few years ago when I was 18 and therefore not able to carry i was on my way home from a friends house where we were building our demo derby cars. On a one lane country road a car was stopped blocking the road. I honked and apparently the man driving was in a bad mood he got out of his car ran to my driver door and ripped open my door. I then remembered I had a can of carb cleaner in my center console. I put about half a can in that crazy mans face and I can tell you that worked way better then OC would have. the man started screaming and ran back to his car where his passenger had to get into the drivers seat and drive away. When the Sheriffs office called me and I told them my story they told me "good for you" and asked if I wanted to press charges, deciding he had gotten the worst side of it already I decided not to. So I will agree a firearm is definitely way better then any sort of spray and would have much rather had one with me then, In an emergency a spray of some nasty chemical will stop the guy.
    You could have killed someone if you'd have had a pistol at this point in time, and lived with it for the rest of your life (even if you were in the right and deemed justified in your actions according to the circumstances and the laws).
    Personally, I don't see much difference in employing anything you have at hand in order to defend yourself. Options are good, but there are the logistics involved. Many times, your defense might not demand a deadly response. Thing is....we all don't carry a duty belt with all sorts of options. If we carried all of the options with us all of the time, we'd either go bankrupt, or dressing for the Alaskan tundra in the middle of summer. Might even be a new weight loss program even Oprah or Richard Simmons never thought about.
    When it all boils down to it....survive any way you can with whatever you have. What you might go through on the legal end of things after the fact might be disconcerting for some. The only thing I have to say about it is that worry is something only those alive have to deal with. Stay above ground IMO. I'm really not sure what's available under.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredpotts View Post

and you know that because you have used oc spray on an attacker also?...you could spray someone with acid also and it would be very effective...the problem is legality of planning and carrying it for defensive purposes...apparently thats the thing many are having a hard time understanding...

as the op has already created a record of the intended use i would bet he has discussed it with others verbally also...in the event it is used in that respect there is a trail of planning to use a product for an unintended use and a violation of federal law...

i know...you dont care...now...if tshtf you will...legalities are ugly...and once its done it cant be taken back...

there are numerous products for self defense that are effective...you spend all kinds of money on your guns and ammo yet for some reason a $15 can of oc is too much to offer protection for your wife?...priorities sir...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The LEO who came to my house told me wasp spray works better than mace against dogs and the other advantage is it has much more range than pepper sprays and the like.

I don't think the Feds really care if you spray an assailant with a can of wasp spray. As for legalities, that's the same arguments given for guns. Defense is defense. When someone is in your house, use anything you can get you paws on and worry about afterefffects later. We need to cease the chest-thumping and guns or nothing replies and accept the fact that some people are not going to use a gun--no matter what.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The level of the threat will probably have a significant effect on the level of problems. With a high level threat, I suspect that the problems would be minimal, with a minor threat possibly more so.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The level of the threat will probably have a significant effect on the level of problems. With a high level threat, I suspect that the problems would be minimal, with a minor threat possibly more so.
    Still trying to wrap my head around that. I think I'd agree once it becomes more clear.

I apologize if it seemed vague. More specifically, I think that against criminal activity such as a burg or actual assault, I think that the problems would be minimal. Against nothing more than say a recalcitrant threatening loud mouth, I would expect larger problems. JMO
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

The reason of my post was to just say from experience some things will work and at least in my case there were no legal problems. As far as OC compared to carb cleaner that was sarcastic statement. As anyone with any kind of chemical agent training would know, there is no standard effectiveness for any kind of chemical spray. All people are effected differently. A perfect example is during training when they line everyone up and walk by with a fogger some people cough a little bit and some people are on the ground. I remember going through the gas chamber filled with CS gas and there were some guys totally fine and some who were puking there brains out. I can tell you this I have been exposed to CS and OC, and while they both sucked it is nothing compared to getting even a little bit of back spray when cleaning a carburetor.

VIP Member
    Tom,
    I'm not going to add anything on the use of the wasp spray, its all been covered

what I will add is something for you to use as 'ammo' to point out to your wife.....attempting to help you out since I used to have a wife with the same mindset (she now carries a G26, OC, TDI, and a pink Taser)

there are many cases of LEOs using high strength OC/mace on suspects and having no effect they continue to fight and officers now have to drop that and go hands on or to another weapon (knife, gun, baton, taser)

when we got sprayed with the nasty stuff in the academy we had to fight through it, go about 15ft, find a practice baton on the ground, go another 15ft and find the other instructor holding a pad and simulating attacking us, we had to pound him with the baton until he was satisfied that we were burning well enough and were delivering strong appropriate baton strikes, it sucked, I was in the shower trying to wash it out of my eyes/off my face for 30 mins, then in front of a fan for another 45 trying to keep my eyes open, I looked like I had a sunburn from my forehead to my neckline

If we officers-to-be could do that with the OC in effect imagine what a meth/crack head would do when they are high or worse yet....down off the high and desparate, and intent on stealing from your house, or worse yet....raping your wife,...what would they be able to do when they are IN your house and she sprays them under stress (maybe or maybe not hitting them in the eyes) and coming at her at inside the house contact range? what is she going to do if there is more than one, which is pretty common also? what if they are repeat offenders and have been sprayed before by LEOs or in the jail/prison and have the 'experience' ?
    there is only one alternative in this situation and that is shooting the perp(s) with a firearm until they are down and no longer presenting a threat, if that means one or 20 rounds then so be it

now have fun discussing that over dinner with the wife LOL
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

This may seem like a dumb question but honestly......you really carry that big can of wasp & hornet spray ?

Whats the alternative.......does it come in smaller cans ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links