New to knives, question

This is a discussion on New to knives, question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Cold Steel's marketing is overly mall ninja-ish, which there is nothing wrong with... except I take great exception to their "Proof" videos. Several of the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to knives, question

Cold Steel's marketing is overly mall ninja-ish, which there is nothing wrong with... except I take great exception to their "Proof" videos.
    Several of the Cold Steel knives I'm familiar with (and some that I own) are independently tested by others like Blunttruth4u, people with shops, and they get similar results. Perform due diligence before buying a knife the same way you investigate a firearm prior to purchase. I will state that Cold Steel does make some solid knives that can take some heavy abuse. The plastic stuff, though, I wouldn't bother with unless I were trying to sneak something through a metal detector. That's a very specialized application.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave
    Several of the Cold Steel knives I'm familiar with (and some that I own) are independently tested by others like Blunttruth4u, people with shops, and they get similar results. Perform due diligence before buying a knife the same way you investigate a firearm prior to purchase. I will state that Cold Steel does make some solid knives that can take some heavy abuse. The plastic stuff, though, I wouldn't bother with unless I were trying to sneak something through a metal detector. That's a very specialized application.
    I didn't say some of them weren't tough knives, or that the proof videos were lies. I just said that doing anything that they do in those videos with YOUR Cold Steel knife will void the warranty, and to my way of thinking, if you're selling something as being capable of performing certain jobs that border on the crazy, your warranty should back up your words, is all.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I just said that doing anything that they do in those videos with YOUR Cold Steel knife will void the warranty
    Gotcha. Of course, the only thing I use my knives for are light tasks like opening boxes and things. For self-defense, I'll expect them to behave pretty much as shown in the meat-butchering demos in the videos. I'm not planning on sticking them through 55-gal steel drums or car hoods, but it's nice to know they'll do that.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Thumbs down

I received my Cold Steel FGX Skean Dhu today on the Big Brown Truck. I must say that I am less than impressed. Yeah, it's got a sharp point and the serrated edge is impressive, but the overall feel of the knife is flimsy. In a self defense situation I would not have a lot of confidence in its durability.

I think I'll keep my edged weapon selections limited to steel and leave the combat tupperware to others.

Thanks for the advice and discussion.

Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links