New to knives, question

New to knives, question

This is a discussion on New to knives, question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been a gun fighter for over 40 years and can never be found out & about without some kind of firearm, metal or polymer. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to knives, question

New to knives, question

I've been a gun fighter for over 40 years and can never be found out & about without some kind of firearm, metal or polymer. About 90 % of the time I have a Kershaw "gentleman's" folder clipped to my pocket.

I recently came across the following web site for Cold Steel Nightshade Series fixed bladed knives. http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html

After viewing the video I ordered a FGX Skean Dhu for $11.99, which to me seems like a ridiculous price for something that is shown to be indestructible on the video. It is said to be made with "Grivory with Kraton grip." Not being familiar with "grivory" I want to evaluate one and if I like them, stock my "SHTF bug out gear" with a few other models.

Can anyone tell me if these are serious knives and do they hold an edge?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Coldsteel is a firm that engages in a lot of hype advertising. Some of their products are advertised at ridiculously high prices and, at times, ridiculously low prices. In my personal experience I have found that some of their products are high quality stuff and worth the advertised price. And yes, some have been a real POS. My problem is that I just can't tell the difference BEFORE I buy it. As a rule of thumb the higher the price the more likely the article is advertised the better it is likely to be.

As an overall statement I would say that Coldsteel products are serious cutlery. As far as holding an edge is concerned I would look at the steel from which they are made and follow the guidelines generally associated with that product. Their San Mai stuff is really good - with a price to match!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...98_3244896.gif

The Rajah I in the pic is a very, very good (but quirky) knife. A folding kukri is an interesting proposition and this one is a real "chunk" of knife art. If you like it it is great. If not then it ain't. Such is Coldsteel!
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    As far as holding an edge is concerned I would look at the steel from which they are made...
    The Nightshade series aren't steel. Grivory is some type of polymer. I don't have first hand experience, but I can't imagine that they'd hold an edge for long, if they'll even take a decent edge to begin with.

Sponsor
    Unloved beat me on the draw!

That particular knife is a polymer "stealth" or training blade, as are all of the Night Shade series. You could probably give it a fairly sharp edge(no where near a razor) but it will not "Hold an edge" it will however be a durable thrusting blade and completely undetectable by metal detectors.
    I picked up the Nightshade FGX Karambit trainer to see if I wanted to delve into the Karambit world. It is well made and IMHO worth the modest price tag. I can't personally speak for any other Cold Steel products.
    Last edited by luvmy40; October 13th, 2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: sp.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Can't comment directly to the specific kife you asked about sir,but to agree with Dairy creek, you get what you pay for in knives has been my experience.
    I practice the 2nd Amendment....alot

VIP Member
    Well I'll give you a slightly different perspective, although I completely agree with those above.

The real value I see in something like that would be having in available for a worst case scenario. It's light, polymer and cheap. You could buy a whole bunch of them for the cost of one decent benchmade and you wouldn't need to feel bad about duct taping one to the inside of your truck bumper and leaving it there for a year or two. It probably wouldn't hold an edge, but you wouldn't buy this to open boxes anyway, so that really shouldn't matter. It would only need to have an edge the first time you needed it and anything after that would be a bonus.

Those are not training blades though, those are the real deal. They may look like dummy knives because they are solid plastic, but these have edges and points, training blades don't.

Administrator
    All of the Cold Steel stuff is now ROC made. AKA Republic Of China which might help to explain some of those recent
    Cold Steel ROC Bottom prices. <~~~

Then again so is SCHRADE and other formerly knife makers as well.

I had a delta dart type, not sure if its by cold steel or not, but like everybody else said, its fully plastic, so its a good " knife" to keep in the shower...( paranoid? if u say i am sure lol )

it doesnt have an edge, but will def stab something.

Administrator
    "its fully plastic, so its a good " knife" to keep in the shower."

Stainless Steel works for the shower also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I've been a gun fighter for over 40 years and can never be found out & about without some kind of firearm, metal or polymer. About 90 % of the time I have a Kershaw "gentleman's" folder clipped to my pocket.

I recently came across the following web site for Cold Steel Nightshade Series fixed bladed knives. http://www.coldsteel.com/nightshadeseries.html

After viewing the video I ordered a FGX Skean Dhu for $11.99, which to me seems like a ridiculous price for something that is shown to be indestructible on the video. It is said to be made with "Grivory with Kraton grip." Not being familiar with "grivory" I want to evaluate one and if I like them, stock my "SHTF bug out gear" with a few other models.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Do NOT buy them. The FGX 'knives' are pieces of crap, and will break if you look at them too hard. I bought the Taipan and the karambit models, and tried them out on cardboard boxes, and broke the tips off of them. They're about as dangerous as a credit card.

sharpen a credit card and you can do some damage with one. :D

Honestly if your going to buy a knife for SD and you want a fixed blade you can find some good ones at a good price.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I put up a review of the Schrade Sharpfinger a while back to show that you can get a good EDC Utility/Tactical knife on the cheap. The sheath sucks, but the knife is hard to beat in the bang-to-buck ratio for sure.

Thanks to those who responded. The information will help me evaluate the knife when it arrives. To amplify my original post, the "combat Tupperware," if I like them, will be for my SHTF Bug Out Kit, not for every day carry. I have a couple of stainless steel tactical folders for that, plus Gerber & SOG multi-tools for utility purposes. I also have a couple of fixed blades at my disposal.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    They're one-time-use knives. They will not keep an edge, cannot be sharpened, and are fairly ineffectual cutters. They will stab reasonably well... once for sure, and maybe a couple more times. If you carry one, and are found with it, it will be immediately obvious that you are trying to carry a concealed deadly weapon. Do not carry them into airports for this reason, regardless of what people say about metal detectors.

Cold Steel as a whole is hit and miss... because they don't actually make their knives, they're only the marketing and distribution company. IIRC, Camillus made knives of good quality for them for a while, but their current suppliers are all in Asia and of mixed quality at best. Another issue that only makes this worse is that it's hard to tell which ones are good, because Cold Steel doesn't change the listed materials and models to reflect a new manufacturer.

Cold Steel's marketing is overly mall ninja-ish, which there is nothing wrong with... except I take great exception to their "Proof" videos. It's all well and good to market like that, but if you do, you'd better have a warranty that backs that kind of abuse, IMHO. Doing anything Lynn Thompson does in his videos will void the warranty on your Cold Steel knife, unlike the no-questions-asked warranties at some other (albeit much more expensive) knife companies, i.e. Strider, or any of the Busse companies.
    Not my circus, not my monkeys.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SamRudolph View Post
    Cold Steel's marketing is overly mall ninja-ish, which there is nothing wrong with... except I take great exception to their "Proof" videos. It's all well and good to market like that, but if you do, you'd better have a warranty that backs that kind of abuse, IMHO. Doing anything Lynn Thompson does in his videos will void the warranty on your Cold Steel knife, unlike the no-questions-asked warranties at some other (albeit much more expensive) knife companies, i.e. Strider, or any of the Busse companies.
    Strider and Busse are far from "no questions asked", actually. If you do something that they deem as stupid or inconvenient, you're hosed. The one and only "no questions asked" warranty in the entire cutlery biz that I know of is ESEE Knives which literally has a "even if you cut it with a torch" mention in their warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links