Benchmade 520 Presidio - My New EDC - Page 3

Benchmade 520 Presidio - My New EDC

This is a discussion on Benchmade 520 Presidio - My New EDC within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 2edgesword Both types of opens can be done fairly quickly so I don't see any really disparity between the thumb hole versus ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    Both types of opens can be done fairly quickly so I don't see any really disparity between the thumb hole versus the thumb stud.
    Yup. As many have suggested, it depends on the person and the comfort with it. A video's fine. It shows the person (people) had little issues with any of them. Like most folks, I've used both. In my case, I did note a difference, though it's entirely likely to mostly be due to familiarity over time. Still, the big fat hole grabs my thumb easily and reliably well, whereas not all studs are of a height and "grip-ability" as to work equally reliably well, at least not in my experience. As suggested ... to each his own, YMMV, etc. Which is really all that matters anyway.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yup. As many have suggested, it depends on the person and the comfort with it. A video's fine. It shows the person (people) had little issues with any of them. Like most folks, I've used both. In my case, I did note a difference, though it's entirely likely to mostly be due to familiarity over time. Still, the big fat hole grabs my thumb easily and reliably well, whereas not all studs are of a height and "grip-ability" as to work equally reliably well, at least not in my experience. As suggested ... to each his own, YMMV, etc. Which is really all that matters anyway.
    ccw9mm

While I demonstrate opening both types relatively quickly my preference is the Spyderco hole for the reasons you stated. For that matter, while there are thumbstuds on all of the Blackhawk knives used in the demonstration, as well as the two Benchmade and CKRT knives, I normally don't use them given the inertial opening is relatively easy and very reliable.

With respect to the Spyderco knives, I'll use an inertial opening on all of them other then the Delica. While I can do an inertial opening with a Delica it is on the more difficult side and under stress I want things as close to 100% as possible. With the Delica (especially a flat ground version) or a Spyderco Urban (very, very difficult to open inertially) I'll use a thumb-flick or marble shoot opening.

As you've said, to each his own. My rebuttal had more to do with the issue of accuracy about the Axis lock, the force required to overcome the spring tension on a Griptilian or Presidio and the space required to do an inertial or thumb-flick opening with any of these knives. These openings can be done very quickly and efficiently using proper technique and practice. I think that was clearly shown in the videos.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    Hi Billy,

The following video demonstrates inertial openings with a wide assortment of knives. You'll notice that all of the openings are done with very little movement of the arm (mostly wrist action) and with the knife within a few inches of my side. None of these knives have had the pivot screw loosened to facilitate an opening. It's all proper technique and practice.

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/...IOassorted.mp4

The next video shows examples of a draw and opening using a marble shoot or thumb-flick opening with a Spyderco Delica and a thumb stud opening using a Benchmade Mini-Presidio. Both types of opens can be done fairly quickly so I don't see any real disparity between the thumb hole versus the thumb stud.

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/...HolevsStud.mp4
    Okay ... now everything makes a lot more sense.

First, your technique in the first video is definitely better than mine. I cannot open an Axis lock knife with that small of an arm movement. My movement is different, but similar in space used for knives that don't have any closed retention - so we're about even there, but my technique just doesn't work as well on Axis knives.

Second - your second video shows inertia openings that have been assisted by your thumb. This explains why you feel the sound is similar. I do not open knives this way. I carry a knife every day because I use a knife almost every day. Inertia deployments are just too Rambo-esque for my neck of the woods. There is one other guy in my office that carries a knife and has ever shot a gun (there are 200 people in my office). When I'm not at work, I spend a lot of my weekend time in NYC since many of our friends are there as well as most of my wife's family. Generally speaking ... I'm probably a bit more concealed about my carrying of any type of weapon than most simply because of my environment. I open a knife without any movement AT ALL of my arm or wrist. Not a "small" movement, NO movement. In many years worth of observation and discussion with non-knife people, I've gotten an almost unanimous opinion that my current method is less obtrusive and less aggressive in the eyes of those that do see it.

I'm at the office right now and will try to find some time to take a video and upload it, but this might have to wait until I get home tonight.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Ng View Post
    Second - your second video shows inertia openings that have been assisted by your thumb. This explains why you feel the sound is similar. I do not open knives this way. I carry a knife every day because I use a knife almost every day. Inertia deployments are just too Rambo-esque for my neck of the woods. There is one other guy in my office that carries a knife and has ever shot a gun (there are 200 people in my office). When I'm not at work, I spend a lot of my weekend time in NYC since many of our friends are there as well as most of my wife's family. Generally speaking ... I'm probably a bit more concealed about my carrying of any type of weapon than most simply because of my environment. I open a knife without any movement AT ALL of my arm or wrist. Not a "small" movement, NO movement. In many years worth of observation and discussion with non-knife people, I've gotten an almost unanimous opinion that my current method is less obtrusive and less aggressive in the eyes of those that do see it.

I'm at the office right now and will try to find some time to take a video and upload it, but this might have to wait until I get home tonight.
    Hi Billy,

It sounds to me that what you are describing is more of a thumb "push" opening versus a thumb "flick" opening.

And I understand about the no knife/gun culture in NYC. I grew up in Manhattan and the Bronx, and still have a lot of relatives and friends that live in the city. Many of them are surprised to learn that a "regular" citizen could legally own a handgun. And in spite of the popular myth, most of my Puerto Rican relatives don't carry a knife :).
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Okay ... worked late, spent some time with my kids, watched some TV with the wife, and finally got around to making the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSt4HWdOUY
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

... finally got around to making the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSt4HWdOUY
    It's no "crap" or "dead horse" having been beaten. It's simply a discussion on preferences, not an attempt at conversion. You've explained your opinion for your usage just fine. For others who have had lengthy use of different knives with different mechanisms, it's simply difference of opinion and comfort levels as to what works for them. So long as there remains different opinions and products to fulfill those needs, it won't be a "dead" issue. And that's a good thing. YMMV.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; October 29th, 2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Okay ... worked late, spent some time with my kids, watched some TV with the wife, and finally got around to making the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSt4HWdOUY
    Hi Billy,

Thanks for the video and it clarifies for me what you were trying to get at.

I tried your version of a thumb flick opening with a bunch of the knives I have with thumb studs and thumb holes. I had mixed results with both types using the method you demonstrated. With some (both types) there was a smooth, relatively easy opening. With others (both types) the opening just didn't happen smoothly and I'm not sure what the critical factors were that made the difference. I'm guessing it has something to do with the dimensions, placement and relationships that exist between the handle, hole or stud, the force required to overcome mechanical tension and the distance the blade has to move to full open. Of course the impact of all of these factors will be different depending on the size of your hand, length of your thumb, strength of the muscles in your hand, etc., etc.

Anyway, as we've agreed, to each his own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links