Benchmade 520 Presidio - My New EDC

This is a discussion on Benchmade 520 Presidio - My New EDC within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few months back I was looking for a new EDC. Long story short, ended up with a Benchmade 950 Rift. http://www.benchmade.com/products/950 The Rift was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Benchmade 520 Presidio - My New EDC

A few months back I was looking for a new EDC. Long story short, ended up with a Benchmade 950 Rift. http://www.benchmade.com/products/950

The Rift was a fantastic knife in pretty much every way and I highly recommend it to anyone who's on the fence about picking one up. They are definitely worth the price of admission.

Anyway. I was out at a tile store maybe 3 weeks after I bought the knife and I handed over my Rift to the owner of the store to cut open some shrink-wrap on some tiles we wanted to see, he pushes the knife straight through the box, and FUBAR's the blade on the tiles inside.

Next day I Fedex the Rift off to Benchmade HQ to have the blade replaced ($25 - thank you BM!). Two weeks later I walk into my office to find a package on my keyboard. Inside I find a dripping wet piece of paper - the one that I had shipped off with my knife containing my return address, instructions, and registration info .... I mean DRIPPING wet. The only other thing inside the package is a letter from Fedex telling me they are sorry, but my package was damaged in shipping.

The debacle that was dealing with Fedex to get reimbursed is way too long to print here, but the final outcome was that about 6 weeks later I had a check for an amount that totalled the full purchase price of the knife + what they had charged me to ship my knife in the first place. Like I said, the Rift was fantastic, but here was an opportunity to try something else so I decided to hold off and see how I felt.

I scoured the net looking at various knives, watched at least 100 YouTube reviews, and ultimately ended up back at my local store looking at the 950 Rift and the 520 Presidio.

The Presidio is slightly larger than the Rift in just about every dimension. The Rift was already large, and I definitely wondered if the 520 could really be pocketed as a true EDC. The Presidio weighs enough over the Rift for anyone to be able to tell, but this reflects the bank-vault-like feel of the Presidio. My Rift had the slightest bit of vertical play in the blade ... and I mean slight ... but when the Presidio's blade is deployed it feels like it's permanently fixed in place.

The balance on this knife is truly exceptional. The Rift was pretty good too, but that honk'n blade, made the knife feel a bit tip-heavy ... not so with the Presidio. The stepped G10 handles are laddered towards the center of the knife - a creative feature that means you'll be tearing apart your pants pocket not only on the way out, but on the way in as well. That said, I've had the knife for 4 weeks now and I've seen no evidence of pocket-wear.

The coating on the pocket clip, as you should be able to see in my photos above, has come off a bit around the edges of the clip, but I have yet to see a hint of rust so I assume the clip itself is made of a stainless steel. The Axis lock is ... well, Axis. If you've had one - you know. If you haven't - get one. Deployment via thumb studs (my preferred method) is quite quick, as quick or quicker than any auto-folder I've ever handled.

The blade had a gritty feel during deployment, similar to other Axis knives I've had in the past. I threw a drop of Weapon-Shield on the pivot joint immediately after buying it - worked the action a few hundred times over the next 3 weeks, then lubed it one more time. She is like silk now. This knife came with the dullest blade I've ever had on a new Benchmade. Every previous knife was arm-hair-shaving sharp - my particular Presidio isn't. I'm personally not worried as the blade is still plenty sharp enough for my needs, and I'll be sending it back for a LifeSharp service after enough use anyway.

The biggest difference between the Rift and the Presidio is actually the aesthetics. While the Presidio is all business, the Rift had a flare to it that said, "Show me off - I'm really really cool." I did a lot of that. I couldn't wait to show off the cool scaled, multi-colored handles of the Rift and the unique reverse-tanto blade. The Presido however, sits in my pocket waiting to be used as a tool.

So to conclude - the Presidio is a Glock. Black, bulky, not overly attractive, and decidedly purposeful. It has everything you need in a self-defense-use folder, and nothing you don't.
    Last edited by HiFreq47; October 15th, 2010 at 10:27 AM.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

That is one absolutely beautiful knife. Congratulations.

I love Benchmade knives.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Yep, it is quite good looking. Only problem with it in that department is that it followed the 950 Rift which was simply stunning. The Presidio feels more purposeful to me, less flashy. In many ways thats a good thing, in some ways, its slightly disappointing. I'm just glad I got the camera out last night and was able to snap these shots ... some of my best product photography to date if I do say so myself.
    Billy

Nice knife!

I hate you. This post made me go out and buy a 525SBK Mini-Presidio today.

Nice purchase! Where are the pics?
    Billy

I own two benchmades. I love the axis lock!

Pics to come later when I can actually find my digital SLR.

Very nice indeed.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

Nice looking knife...great lighting, too!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Nice looking knife...great lighting, too!
    Thanks ... was a quick shoot. Set it up, shot it, broke it down, and processed it in a little under 3 hours.
    Billy

I love mine. I edc that knife until I got hooked on my Emersons. Wave wone me but I still have a soft spot for my benchmades

I would love to add an Emerson to my EDC rotation, I'm particularly fond of the CQC-8 ... but I just won't do liner-locks. Count me up as one of those who had a liner-lock fail and cut up my hand badly. If Ernie ever comes out with a different style of lock - specifically one that doesn't require I put my finger in the path of the blade - I may be in.
    Billy

Great pictures of a very cool looking knife. I thought my $28 Benchmade Mini-Pika II was cool....nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Great pictures of a very cool looking knife. I thought my $28 Benchmade Mini-Pika II was cool....nope.
    Thanks for the compliment ... and for the record, all Benchmade's are cool
    Billy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links