Makeshift weapons.

This is a discussion on Makeshift weapons. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Padlock around the finger for use like a brass knuckle. A trick learned back in high school. Also another one to use is spitting and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Makeshift weapons.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Padlock around the finger for use like a brass knuckle. A trick learned back in high school. Also another one to use is spitting and spilling hot coffee to use as a distraction. Also another trick used in prisons is a bent fork. Very deadly in opening up wounds.

2. Remove Ads

Spent 6 mos. in the Philippines when in the service.Getting rolled was a distinct possibility as I ventured out by myself every night. Just took a pair of dress/black socks, one inside the other and filled with local HARD currency. Stretchy enough to reach out and touch someone hard if needed...Not a weapon, its how I carry my $

Quote Originally Posted by 1911srule View Post
    Spent 6 mos. in the Philippines when in the service.Getting rolled was a distinct possibility as I ventured out by myself every night. Just took a pair of dress/black socks, one inside the other and filled with local HARD currency. Stretchy enough to reach out and touch someone hard if needed...Not a weapon, its how I carry my $
    If I may ask, what part of PI did you spent time in for 6 mos. I was born there in Villasis-Pangasinan. But have loved most of my life overseas and finally, in the US, where I became a citizen in 1985.

A can of lighter fluid and a lighter. Hose em down and light em up.

cj
    I used to keep a rolled up magazine with a rubber band around it stashed. It's really worth trying out...not just for poking, but a decently rolled magazine has some surprising heft even as a short baton.

There is a video produced by Michael Janich titled "Forever Armed" which explores the idea of utilizing those things in your home, car, work, street environment as makeshift weapons.

I don't think he mentioned a turbo but it sounds like it achieved the desired effect :).
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Many years ago when I was in college I politely persuaded some drunk bum to leave me alone by using a kubotan/ dejammer keychain. Last year I took a drunk guy out of a potential fight (at my girlfriend's 41st birthday party, Hi Michelle!) with a strobe flashlight. Wrote about that one here. The strobe/tactical light has become my new favorite improvised weapon for where I can't carry a "real" weapon.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Feel free to give me some of your experiences dealing with whatever makeshift weapons you have had to use.
    Its already been said, most anything can be a weapon if need be. Some training will help you make the most of the tools available to you. I have seen someone beaten to death with a magazine, a National Geographic as I recall. For my part I have found that a cane is the most inconspicuous tool I can carry everywhere I go. A cane can not be prohibited anywhere. It is an extremely effect offensive and defensive weapon. That take very little effort to become proficient with. I also like high lumen flashlights which I also carry everywhere every day all day. Your most important weapon is your brain, followed by training everything else are just tools.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Many years ago when I was in college I politely persuaded some drunk bum to leave me alone by using a kubotan/ dejammer keychain. Last year I took a drunk guy out of a potential fight (at my girlfriend's 41st birthday party, Hi Michelle!) with a strobe flashlight. Wrote about that one here. The strobe/tactical light has become my new favorite improvised weapon for where I can't carry a "real" weapon.
    Had a similar one that occured when visiting Rome, Italy in 2006. While waiting for my friends to finish their food at McDonalds, I was approached by an angry Middle Easterner. Either he was an EDP or mistaken me for someone. I told him to back off as he advanced. In my bladed de-escalation stance, I push kicked him and he went backwards. He advanced again and then I pulled out my Surefire 6P Defender. He ran away terrified thinking I pulled out a gun or knife. I then looked all around me for other threats. None. So we left the area immediately in case he contacts the police and makes up a story.

A padlock wrapped in a bandana or on a bike chain can be a very effective non-weapon.

One of humanity greatest powers is the ability to weaponize damn near anything, unfortunately some of these similar humans feel the need to ban damn near everything. Anything carried can at the very least provide a distraction or pause from an attacker, until you can draw your weapon. Also professional wrestling sometimes features improvised weapons.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    There is a video produced by Michael Janich titled "Forever Armed" which explores the idea of utilizing those things in your home, car, work, street environment as makeshift weapons.

I don't think he mentioned a turbo but it sounds like it achieved the desired effect :).
    I just got his DVD just this Thursday on the walking stick/cane for self-defense called "Martial Cane Concepts" from Paladin Press. Very simple techniques based on serrada escrima and is geared more to the average person than the martial artist. You never know when you need them once you need a walking cane for any reason. Last time I relied on a cane was when I had my knee on a brace for 1 month due to a pulled MCL (fully healed and had no problem since) and my knowledge them were from my Hock's SDMS/ PR-24/straight baton/FMA stickfighting then.

I was always told that the best weapon that you can ever have is your brain. Use it wisely.

Tim

With a brain and cojones, there are thousands of weapons from rolled up paper to Claymores and everything in between.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links