Best Multi-Tool Knife

This is a discussion on Best Multi-Tool Knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to buy my maintenance team of 18 guys multi-tools for presents. Whats the best. Must haves.....pliers, screwdrivers, knife blade...which they all probably ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Multi-Tool Knife

Best Multi-Tool Knife

I am going to buy my maintenance team of 18 guys multi-tools for presents. Whats the best. Must haves.....pliers, screwdrivers, knife blade...which they all probably have on them anyhow. Around $75 max. Thanks!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

2. Remove Ads

Leatherman. And if you're buying 18 of them you might look for volume deals.
    Last edited by varob; November 2nd, 2010 at 01:36 PM.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I would also say leatherman. I have had a Leatherman Wave for several years and it has never failed me. It has a serrated blade as well as a non serrated, several screw drivers a file mini screwdriver for eye glasses and the such and a obviously a pair of pliers. I'm probably missing a few things, but the knife blades are of good quality. Not sure of the material but much better than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Back 40 View Post
    I would also say leatherman. I have had a Leatherman Wave for several years and it has never failed me. It has a serrated blade as well as a non serrated, several screw drivers a file mini screwdriver for eye glasses and the such and a obviously a pair of pliers. I'm probably missing a few things, but the knife blades are of good quality. Not sure of the material but much better than I expected.
    I'll second the Leatherman Wave, had mine for a long, long time, never leave home without it.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

full size leatherman have been good, with 75 dollars, you'll beable to get a good one

http://www.leatherman.com/family/mul...ull-size_Tools

the supertool 300 is their latest one.

the surge , wave or charge would be fine..my self, i have the blast, which is decent for the little abuse i've put it thru.

and i have the juice XE6, great little sucker but its a pocket size one..not as comfortable to use as the full size stuff.

Leatherman, hands down. I've had a couple of Gerber multi-tools break, but haven't broken a leatherman yet. I prefer the Core model, but the wave is good too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A slightly different voice. I own several gerber tools and have loved them. The main feature I found most useful was the slide out lock of the pliers. When working with your hands I have more than once had to reach for the tool after I was already holding something and been able to flick out the pliers with 1 hand.

my 2cents

I have really enjoyed my Leatherman Skeletool...Not too big, very light, but strong. It's basically a knife, pliers and bit driver.
    There ya go........

I will check out these.....sounds like Leatherman is the brand, nust need to find a model.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Sponsor
    I'll second the Skeletool.
    It's not the most versatile of them but by far the lightest and easiest to carry. I do have several Gerbers and they are of good quality. But the Skeletool is the one in my pocket every day.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I carry a Skeletool everyday, and will always have one if I can help it

I don't like a multi-tool with lots of extra stuff that I don't need. The Skeletool has just what I need, a knife, pliers/wire cutters, flat & phillips screwdriver. Another thing that I like is that it has a clip so you can just carry it in your pocket. With any of the others a sheath is needed. Now, if I didn't wear a tool belt all day, then maybe I would care about the sheath. But, I wear tools, and when I'm not wearing tools, I'm carrying my pistols and would rather carry my multi-tool clipped on my pocket.

Another thing is that the knife can be opened, one-handed, without opening the whole tool. A downside to this is that the knife is right-handed, which may be a problem for a south-paw.

If the sheath is no big deal then the Wave is the bomb.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Leatherman! I have a Wave and think it is the best, but you opinion may be different.

Look Here: http://www.leatherman.com/family/mul...ull-size_Tools

One of the things that I like best about the Wave is that your able to open either knife blade one handed with out having to open the tool. It makes it much more handy than some of the others I have carried.

One handed deployment of whatever feature you think is most needed would be great. I dont find myself reaching for my multi-tool when I need a knife as I always have one of those on me as well. I have more than a couple multi-tools and have broken one from each of the "big" names. I stash them around in various gear and they all are helpful when needed. If these are to be a gift, I would nonchalantly ask around what is the feature they like most. Or perhaps even see if there is a favorite tool among them. Good luck and I wish I was a part of your team!
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

The Leatherman Wave is the best I've ever carried. (I'm 63). Very good quality steel and 1-handed deployment of both knife blades. The accessory tips are very handy, even for gunsmithing chores.
    Rick

Gun owners' prayer:
    "Dear Lord; if I die please don't let my wife sell my gun collection...........for what I told her it was worth"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links