A different kind of arsenal.

This is a discussion on A different kind of arsenal. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since being able to stock guns guns guns in every room is not part of my financial equation right now,ive resorted to an 'arsenal' of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different kind of arsenal.

Since being able to stock guns guns guns in every room is not part of my financial equation right now,ive resorted to an 'arsenal' of knives and tactical lights.Several in every part of my house and truck.Just wondering if anybody else does this.

Also,how do you define a 'tactical flashlight'.I always thought of it as a light with a bezel on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Also,how do you define a 'tactical flashlight'.I always thought of it as a light with a bezel on the end.
    Rule #1 - It HAS to be black

Seriously though, from my understanding it a tactical flashlight has a switch on the bottom so it can be engaged with the thumb, while in a supporting hand to the firearm. This also allows for it to have a remote switch installed for use on a rifle/shotty, etc.

I also have a plethora of knives, they are cheaper and easier to buy and maintain. I don't necessarily store them all over the house, but I do have items I can use in SD if need be all over the place if I happen to not be armed.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

There’s a variety of less expensive weapons you can keep in the home. Knives are pretty good if you know how to use them. My favorite cheap weapon is a simple heavy 1”x24” stick as it makes a good shield. Having a light background in the stick-fighting art of Escrima, the humble stick is a valuable tool and is only dangerous in the hands of an expert. (making it one of the safer options if you have or plan to have children in the home)

Any of these are also good ideas
    http://www.coldsteel.com/specialtyitems.html

My definition of a "tactical" light is one that can be used in a tactical situation no matter what it may be. Weapon mounted, small hand held, large (Mag Lite), etc.......... The miniature hand held are good for lighting, lightweight, and fit in the palm of your hand. LED technology had brought the tactical lighting to a whole new level and savings on battery cost and longevity. The large 3-4 D-Cell Mag Lites are nice as well since they can do double duty as a bludgeon and a light. The weapon mounted (or rail mounted) lights can also be held in the hand to operate or mounted on a weapon rail. Sometimes I'll just take my whole AR15 out into the darkness just for the flashlight alone.....then it's just a flick of the switch if I need to fire at something illuminated. A light with a bezel on the end? You mean one of those door breecher models that fits in your hand? Always good for a close quarters jab to an eye and something that would definitely break the skin and cause blood to flow.
    Knives? Knives have interested me somewhat over the years in certain aspects. My tour of duty in the Philippines caused me to look at them in more of an artistic point of view even knowing the damage they could do to the human body and how quickly a 4 1/2" blade slash might cut to the bone or penetrate with a jab. Knives can be a very formidable weapon for self defense purposes or offensive purposes. Personally, I'd rather think about defending against the knife than employing one in self defense. To me, my knives have always been used as tools for tasks. Hand-to-hand combat doesn't involve anything other than skin on skin for me. Someone pulls a knife while on the loosing end of the hand-to-hand, and that's playing dirty pool in my book. But you always need to be ready. While as the handgun (or firearm) seems to be a remote way of dissipating a threat to one's life, a knife pretty much dictates a more personal and closer conflict to be resolved. How many stabs will it take to down your adversary? Will the jury look at 16 stabs as adequate, or 32 stabs as overdoing it? We all make our own choices for defense. Personally, I'd rather not get that close for a knife defense in the middle of the night, in the darkness, and half awake. In my honest opinion, that would be the point of too late and grabbing for straws. In broad daylight and seeing perfectly everything that's going down.....maybe. But violence has a tendency to escalate quickly, and I look for a more immediate response and the not so close and violating my space requirements that I have. I'm not saying knives are not a good option, just that they don't rank highly on my list of self defense items. If I would have had extensive training with knives and become an expert in the field....things might be different. A true Japanese sword might be something I'd be comfortable with as a first line of defense concerning 'cutlery'. To each their own.

Any of these are also good ideas
    http://www.coldsteel.com/specialtyitems.html
    Your home should have all kinds of weapons all over the place.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Someone pulls a knife while on the loosing end of the hand-to-hand, and that's playing dirty pool in my book.
    Just a little tip,playing dirty is what keeps many of us alive.Nothing wrong with pulling a knife at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Simplest question ever.

It's not "tactical" unless Nut'n'fancy says it is.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

The "tactical" aspect of a flashlight can be anything from it's temporary blinding effect when shined into the face of an attacker to using it as a kubaton or a blugeon for the heavier models.

Of course I'm a fan of knives and firearms for SD and given the situation in downstate NY with respect to CC of a firearm a knife, and the training to use effectively, is a prime option. As mentioned it does require some training to learn how to use in most efficiently to avoid the "16 stabs" mentioned by Ram Rod to accomplish the task of ending an attack.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    Simplest question ever.

It's not "tactical" unless Nut'n'fancy says it is.
    You Sir are right on the money.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Ex Member
    By keeping your doors locked you really don't need a firearm in EVERY room. Unless you live in a Tiger Woods size house you should be able to get to one pretty quick.

I keep a handgun on me at all times I am awake, including while at home - LCP in my pocket. While out and about, I add my G26 in a Smartcarry.

I do not stash weapons all over the house, as I have two young children. The handguns are in a GunVault safe, while the long guns are in a larger safe that takes more time to open. Both safes are in our bedroom, which is our safe room.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Sponsor
    Might I recommend

or possibly

I also give members a 15% discount. Also seen in American Handgunner magazine.

Use discount code
    Christmas15-2010

when checking out.

guy

www.TigerHolsterSystems.com www.TigerRacingProducts.com
    Tiger Holster Systems
    Peace of Mind at Arms Reach

Beautiful bedtime ideas.Might have to have some...

"Tactical" is just a word used for marketing otherwise ordinary items to people who think that having the word "tactical" in front of another word, like "knife", "flashlight", or "vibrator" will automatically make that item more dangerous to terrorists, thugs, and child molestors, and therefore much cooler. It's sort of like when I go shopping at my local gun store; whenever I pull out my tactical wallet to pay for another tactical flashlight, the guy behind the tactical counter uses his tactical calculator to add up my purchase. I use my tactical lights to look around my attic, usually when I'm trying to find stuff. The other day, I had to use it to find my tactical Christmas ornaments.

If you need a flashlight for your home, or your vehicle, just get one of those big "D" battery Maglights. It'll do the job, as well as be able to bludgeon someone to death, if necessary. If you want something for your pocket, Walmart has dozens of lights to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    "Tactical" is just a word used for marketing otherwise ordinary items to people who think that having the word "tactical" in front of another word, like "knife", "flashlight", or "vibrator" will automatically make that item more dangerous to terrorists, thugs, and child molestors, and therefore much cooler.
    Oh MAN!!!

I about lost it completely when I read that. Awesome and impressive.

OP:

Just remember when arming the Old Abode:

Some friends are worse than kids. Especially if what's behind the door isn't obviously a weapon. Learned this the hard way with my friend and a Cold Steel Sjambok. The Wife was NOT pleased with that outcome...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links