Self Defense with a Cane - Page 2

Self Defense with a Cane

This is a discussion on Self Defense with a Cane within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bought it about 2 weeks ago. Loved it....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Bought it about 2 weeks ago. Loved it.

Just read some reviews and bought the video from Amazon. Looking forward to trying out the techniques. The older I get the more I like the K.I.S.S. principals.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Senior Moderator
    I'll almost guarantee it would be a single shot
    Not really. A simple mechanism like a Freedom Arms 4 shot .22 mag could easily be camoflaged to work as a can gun. A longer curved handel with a 4 shot something could be easly hidden. The barrel wouldn't even have to extend the length of the cane to keep it concealable as a pistol and still be legal. It would be a can that works, with a gun that works and fires more than one shot.

With just a little imagination it could be done. Got a concealed handgun permit and bad knees? No problem, with this you could take it anywhere and no one would have a clue until you used it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    For God, Family and Country!

If you think about it those two piece adjustable aluminum canes would be ideal if they were thick enough to handle the blast. A stationary firing pin at the top of the cane, with the shell in the top of the bottom piece, loosen the nut push in the adjuster button, twist so it doesn't reset in the hole and it's like a single pump shotcane. Thats the single shot version, but it would heavy. Ok you guys get the weight down and we'll go for the patent ??
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Not really. A simple mechanism like a Freedom Arms 4 shot .22 mag could easily be camoflaged to work as a can gun. A longer curved handel with a 4 shot something could be easly hidden. The barrel wouldn't even have to extend the length of the cane to keep it concealable as a pistol and still be legal. It would be a can that works, with a gun that works and fires more than one shot.

With just a little imagination it could be done. Got a concealed handgun permit and bad knees? No problem, with this you could take it anywhere and no one would have a clue until you used it.
    This would be of interest to me. I've got problems with knee and hip pain and need a cane from time to time. I also have trouble with my shoulder and elbows from time to time so just training in a sort of cane martial art isn't really something highly practical for me. The idea of having four shots of .22 magnum hidden in a cane is nice to go along with what ever else I have with me. I mean if you need the cane may as well have a surprise for any would be BG.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    I found with canes that you actually don't need a ton of training to still be reasonably effective. Training helps a lot, but if you remember the basic strikes and parries from bayonet training, they translate pretty well to a basic manual of arms for a cane.
    Hakkaa päälle!

I was thinking a rotating firing pin like the old COP 4 barrel derringer rather than a rotating cylinder. And don't forget that a cane would leave lots of room for a suppressor....
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

You can bring your cane on a plane; medical equipment!

VIP Member
    I'll second CaneMasters. I've had one for about two years and use it all the time. I have nerve damage in both legs and the right one will just buckle on me, out of the blue. My CaneMasters cane is hickory heart and just a hair over 1" in diameter. Its finely finished and rubbed with Tung Oil. I'd highly recommend one.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    2 injuries to my back and right ankle have me walking with a cane on occassion and always when i fly...a canemasters cane is a beautiful self defense weapon but a nice hardwood cane can be purchased at the farm store for $10 as a stockmans cane if the budget doesnt allow for the big dollars...

the sword in the cane is novel...and a gun in the cane sounds cool...but a cane in itself is a very effective weapon and it wouldnt hurt for some of us to remember the gun isnt the end all protector...

at the airport a cane can get you into a wheelchair and expressed right passed the line at the gate for quick security check...your family accompanies you past everyone...you are allowed to take the cane on the plane with you and there are no "cane free" zones...they come in handy at restaurants also for moving through the line quickly...and security seldom looks at them anywhere as a weapon...

whether you require a cane or not its not a bad thing to have for times when it might be a handy friend depending on where you are...

Not sure if you fly much,but consider one of those sword canes for all the other times.Also,focus on finer martial arts.Ginhu,for example.Dealing not with fancy kicks which you might not could do,but fine wrist movements that a cane could be used with to block and strike.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    But the Docs gave me a new SD tool...a cane.
    A cane can be used with or without conditions that docs care about. The "right" cane can be easy to wield, be hard-hitting, be easy to take anywhere (including into "secure" zones such as at airports and such).

... and I've been reading some interesting sites on line to learn tactics and methods to use...
    If you have two bad knees, you'll need to adjust your training to ensure that the movements you review and get good at executing take that into account.

Definitely seek out a defensive trainer who has "cane" experience and can help you create techniques and a training regimen that will help to keep the skills fresh.

And I ordered a stronger (and classier) cane for future use...
    If you're looking for a strong cane, consider any of the polypropylene canes made by Cold Steel. The material is unbelievably strong and hard-hitting. I take mine along anytime I am traveling.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Here's some light reading, enjoy.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jimmy_f...an/wittman.htm

Biker

I have long been a fan of canes. Hidden in plain sight always in your hand, instantly deployed, take it everywhere. An added benefit is that they tend to have predators under estimate you. With some training and practice they do not require a great deal of strength or agility and can be devastating. From standing with one to crushing genitalia, requires only a snap of your arm upwards. Reverse that for an over hand swing to break a collar bone. At bad breath distances a cane deploys quicker than a gun or knife and can be as effective. I am a fan of T-handled canes where the handle comes off of the shaft at a right angle like a police baton. There is a reason they use that design, its more effective as a weapon than a straight baton or cane. Last year I got one of my favorite gifts of all time an authentic Black Thorn cane brought over from Ireland with a T-handle design made by the same guy who made John F Kennedy's canes.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links