Camillus Heat - More Bang For Your Buck

This is a discussion on Camillus Heat - More Bang For Your Buck within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I figure that every now and then I'll do a little knife review to post in the forum. So, I figured I kick it off ...

Thread: Camillus Heat - More Bang For Your Buck

Camillus Heat - More Bang For Your Buck

I figure that every now and then I'll do a little knife review to post in the forum. So, I figured I kick it off with a little company known as Camillus.

Bringing more bang for you buck, Camillus cutlery has put impressive effort into the Heat tactical folder. The Heat is a Darrel Ralph design manufactured in Taiwan to Camillus specifications.

You’ll find that the blade is perfectly ground and polished as the Asian equipment tends to be newer and better than that of the United States. The lower paid labor also contributes to the lesser expense of the knife. You’ll find that Benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT, Camillus, Kershaw and many others have lower-end knives made in Taiwan. This allows for the less than $100 knives to be produced at pretty good quality.

This knife comes with zytel scales. Not my personal favorite. However, hardened stainless liners are imbedded to increase strength. I’m not too crazy about the zytel handles as they look and feel like plastic to me, but who’s complaining? This knife is equipped with a lock face that is folded over to provide 100% more lock surface area. I do like the high-mount carry clip.

The Heat’s blade is AUS-8 steel which has .75% carbon. It holds a fairly good edge. On a 1 to 10 scale, I’d give the edge retention ability about a 7. However, the sharpness is top notch. The steel is pretty tough and the rust resistance isn’t too bad. I really like the ergonomics of this knife and think you will too. The opening mechanism is extremely fast and this appeals to me significantly.

Overall, I think the Heat is a steal when it comes to inexpensive tactical folders. This knife is usually available at the $60 - $70 range.

Cole’s Rating:

Sharpness: 9
    Edge Retention: 7
    Ergonomics: 9
    Locking Mechanism: 9
    Price: 10
    Blade Steel: 7
    Handle Material: 4
    Carry Device: 9

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    GREAT Cole!!! Just the ticket and thank you.

Interestingly - I have two Camillus - one I gave to my son. They were dished out as freebies by Buckmasters two or three years ago. The handle was no great shakes - bit basic - but I had to confess to some surprise at the apparently very reasonable quality of the blade.

I have not gone looking but I guess if they have a web site it'll show what they have to offer re models and styles.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    nice write up and review. I am assuming it is a assisted opener?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I did forget to throw in a little blurb abot the assisted opener, ROBO POWER™. This is designed by Darrel Ralph and is a very fast and slick device. I would like to see something like this implemented in more knives. The flipper to open the knife is located in a spot that keeps your thumb away from the blade. Pretty nice.

And, for a list of models and such... check out my website. I hope I'm not stepping over the review/ advertising line. But take a gander.

http://www.knifesupplycompany.com/kn...llus-heat.html

BTW: I'm not real fond of the huge nylon sheath that comes with the Heat. You could probably fit a couple of knives in it together. They must've had these lying around the warehouse and figured, "Heck, we'll throw them in the package". So, toss that sheath and get you a good one or stick with the clip. It's more comfortable anyway.

VIP Member
    If you are a regular contributor to this forum, and run a business related to our focus (concealed carry), you are welcome to mention products you sell as long as it is kept low key. If you sell from a website, we will be happy to place a link in our "Related Links". Mentioning your related business in the course of a thread is in no way restricted as long as it is relevant to the thread.

We will not, however, allow blatant advertising embedded within the forum topics. If you are not a contributing member, but simply drop buy to advertise, your posts will be removed.

We have various holster makers and other accessory makers/retailers here who are regular contributors to the forums, and all are welcome and have been great members with good resources of information.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assisted openers are illegal in many places, including all of Australia and Canada.

Links