Whats so great about expensive knives?

This is a discussion on Whats so great about expensive knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are some diminishing returns to consider. I think the difference between a $10 knife and a $50 knife is likely to be pretty obvious. ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Whats so great about expensive knives?

There are some diminishing returns to consider. I think the difference between a $10 knife and a $50 knife is likely to be pretty obvious. If you can get up into the $80-$90 range, you'll probably see even more quality. But the difference between a $120 blade and a $500 model is likely to be less obviously dramatic.

To the collector, having a knife from a specific maker might justify the expense. To the workman, a high-priced safe queen might well be a waste of money.

When I'm at home and need to open a box or something like that, I'll grab one of the cheaper (albeit sharp) models. If I'm heading out the door and want a defensive tool, I'll grab one of the higher-end items. For me, "higher end" means something that retailed for around $80 or so MSRP - which I got for maybe half that.

Look, at the end of the day, we're talking about a sharp piece of metal. A solid knife from a good maker and designer made from good materials doesn't have to be in the high 3-figures to meet the needs of the general owner. If you shop aggressively and wait patiently for a bargain, you can get a very good knife for a reasonable price.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

Well I'll kill a knockoff Walmart one in a week, a Gerber will close up on me and cut my hand (they got two trys and I ended up giving both knives away). I've tried for year to kill my two Leathermans, one has needed the occasional sharpening but $30 on a lock blade and $75 on an original Wave; 25 year warranty on both. Last night I picked up a Victorinox Spartan, just like the one I carried everywhere with me as a kid (plus a few features now) until I lost it in the woods; $20. My father has had the same Victorinox since I was 5, and he took it took work on the construction site everyday. Victorinox carries a lifetime warranty. Now my knives are tools not weapons, I need them to work, and work more often and they probably see more heavy day to day use, but I'm not using them as a go-to for self defense unless many many many things have gone wrong.

Glock Certified Armorer

Administrator
    Are we just talking about folders here or "knives" in general?

Well, the more expensive knives are not always the best knives.
    http://www.knifetests.com/

For instance the Chinese made Schrade SCHF (around $50) tested out to be incredibly much tougher than the nearly identical Chris Reeve priced at $300.00 which broke almost instantly.

The "Cheap As Hell" Cold Steel Bushman did incredibly well though it would need to be sharpened often.

Hard to beat the Scrapyard & The Busse Combat knives for extreme survival use.

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    My biggest issue are the clips. I have two with broken clips and yes they still work fine, but they dont clip to my pocket. They are now not useful for me on a daily basis. Did i throw them away? No. I still use them occasionally. The other one...well the blade is destroyed from when i tried to cut off the crocs head.
    This is where the expense comes in I recently sent my benchmade off and they replaced the clip because I lost the stupid thing when I took it off for some reason or another and then misplaced in move. And get this they knew the whole story and replaced for free and sharpened it for me, wow what a company kinda like surefire flashlights.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Are we just talking about folders here or "knives" in general?

Well, the more expensive knives are not always the best knives.
    http://www.knifetests.com/

For instance the Chinese made Schrade SCHF (around $50) tested out to be incredibly much tougher than the nearly identical Chris Reeve priced at $300.00 which broke almost instantly.

The "Cheap As Hell" Cold Steel Bushman did incredibly well though it would need to be sharpened often.

Hard to beat the Scrapyard & The Busse Combat knives for extreme survival use.
    I love my Busse knives.They will last longer than I will.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Administrator
    "I love my Busse knives.They will last longer than I will." <~~~

If the SHTF your Busse knife will help you to last for a long time.

I think I really need another one & I'm going to add this one L.C.A.B.S. that is being offered right now. I am completely hooked on Busse knives.
    http://www.bussecombat.com/home/index.shtml

Here are some pics of my favorite knives. The green one is a Busse Sus Scrofa and the black one is a Busse Boss Street.Glocksin you don't want to know what they cost.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Administrator
    The Boss Street is an incredible knife. I've checked one out but, don't own one.
    I don't really know much about the other. (Sus Scrofa)

Well, if anybody can suffer through the entire set of Busse VIDEOS on knifetests.com without becoming brain-numbed because they are SO....SLOW MOVING they will know that the knife that will never fail them under any extreme conditions is worth every penny spent on it.

Lead Moderator
    Sometimes cheap knives will work well. However with folders I tend to want a bit better than a Walmart cheap knife in my hand.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

RGC
    I picked up a Kersaw Tanto Blur from walmart on sale for around 50 bucks I'm happy with. I'm not sure where this falls in the cheap/expensive range, but it's been a good knife for the price.

Follow the link for this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-a-CRKT-folder

From the article regarding knives as tools
    I asked Heath if that was true for him, or if he regarded his CRKT folder as just another knife. “No,” he said. “It’s not just another knife. I still use it for everyday things but I plan to put it aside...“Did you have a KA-BAR?” I asked Heath. “Most Marines I know do. And if you had one, why didn’t you use it instead of your folder?”

“Yeah, I have a KA-BAR. But my folder was right there and quicker to get to,” Heath said.

Heath’s response is all the reason anyone who has gone in harms way needs to understand. Experience shows that a last ditch weapon close to hand can save your life.
    So while most of us carry a knife for utilitarian purposes, it can be that last ditch weapon you might need. Having been to Iraq (2003, 2004) and Afghanistan (2009), and having a quality knife, I'm not going to go cheap.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    No,im serious.I have always bought knives from pawn shops,Walmart and such.What is the big deal about $150 knives? If its the sharpness aspect of it,i dont understand either.You can sharpen knives you know.
    It all depends on usage, intended or otherwise. I have cheapie $2 knives laying around the house in various places(kitchen util drawers, toolboxes, work bench etc..). I carry an old SAK around in my pocket daily that has been my faithful go to for every day chores for going on close to 10 years now I think. On the other hand, I spend a lot of time outdoors. I won't go up into the hills with a $2, or even a $10 or $20 knife alone. Why? Because I HAVE broken them. Not only that, I don't want to be resharpening my blade every 10 minutes while I've been out in the woods for 3 or 4 days. I want something guaranteed to take a heck of abuse long term. These days I've been sticking primarily to RAT Cutlery RC3 I picked about a year or so ago. It has taken everything I've thrown at it(and I've thrown it at in one or two cases) and then some.

When I go hiking(like a 3 or 4 day weekend) I tend to take minimal supplies, enough water for the first few hours, a few MRE's just in case, an extra jacket and a small self built out survival kit(did I mention I love Nalgene bottles) all stuffed into a small maxped pack. I'm lazy. I hate a heavy pack.

I tend to take the RC3 attached inverted to the left shoulder strap of the pack for ease of access. This isn't really a viable carry option for most of your cheapie $2 knives due to lack of or poor sheath design. I use that knife for everything from shelter prep to game prep to general utility. It has a good hefty thick blade and a grind I desire that I don't find on your typical walmart or the classic buck 119 design. Basically it's exactly what I want for certain tasks. Not too big, not too small, harder than nails and has a plethora of carrying/mounting options available, oh and the lifetime replacement warranty no matter the cause of the breakage!

If I happen to need something for really fine work I just break out the old trusty SAK.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I've had MT benchmade griptillian for 3 years. It's made of D2 steel and has seen it all, deer, boxes, rope, ect. It's the perfect size. I've sent it to benchmade 3 times for sharpening and maintenance. Comes back as sharp as I got it new and with the best service in the industry. By far my best knife for daily use.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

For an inexpensive "quality" knife I like my SOG folders. They carry well, lock solidly, and hold a great edge. Check em out for between $40 to $100
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

And that is the beauty of knives, guns, cars, or anything else. We all like different things and are willing to pay for what we think has quality and looks. Many times paying more up to a point gets you much higher quality but then after that point your paying for exclusiveness more than anything. But why not if it is what you want and can afford!
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links