Whats so great about expensive knives? - Page 3

Whats so great about expensive knives?

This is a discussion on Whats so great about expensive knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure it's just like anything else. You could buy a Patek Phillipe, or you could buy a Timex. Both do basically the same thing, ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Whats so great about expensive knives?

I'm sure it's just like anything else. You could buy a Patek Phillipe, or you could buy a Timex. Both do basically the same thing, but at vastly different price points. There are other differences that matter to some, and not so much to others.

My fingers are worth more than $150. I carry a knife for every day uses, but also in the event that I need to use it for SD. There's no way I would entrust any cheaply made knife or one with a poor lock for SD purposes.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Knives have basically one integral piece,the blade.And my Walmart knives work just fine you know,i dont see how you broke them doing anything less than trying to behead a live crocodile.

Guns have several,several working parts.And i think my TRP is the best looking 1911,and also think that the crazy looking Benchmade knives arnt all that pretty.

Even most fixed-blade knives have more parts than just the blade, and exactly how the blade is heat-treated and ground makes a significant difference in its performance for various jobs. It's EXACTLY like your 1911. People are willing to pay for better materials, better workmanship, and subjectively, better looks.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    No,im serious.I have always bought knives from pawn shops,Walmart and such.What is the big deal about $150 knives? If its the sharpness aspect of it,i dont understand either.You can sharpen knives you know.
    $150 , not really expensive in the overall scheme of things. Now $1,000 + , that's starting to get up there

Bang for the buck... That's what
    I'm always looking for. I don't just carry a knife anymore...

I hear it's bullet proof, too!

Seriously... I carry a Victorinox Swiss Tool, a gerber folding utility, and a chinese assited opener every day mostly for work.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

You get what you pay for.

Sure you can find "damascus" blades online for up to $10,000, but you can also find knives for around $200-$300 that are guaranteed for life and made for rugged use.

And sometimes you can find knives for around $50 that will be in your will...

Marketing, luck, and care all play factors here. Get what you want and enjoy!
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

You get what you pay for. I have toolboxes full of of junk I don't use, because I bought them when I couldn't afford Snap-on tools. Now that I have impact wrenches, torque wrenches, and all the other automechanic's tools I need, I have no real use for the Craftsmen crap that I bought when I started working.

I own a bunch of knives. Some cheap, some expensive. I still use the cheap ones, because they were cheap, and I don't care if they break. Would I trust my life to them? No. I do trust my Spydercos and Benchmades, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Follow the link for this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-a-CRKT-folder

From the article regarding knives as tools

So while most of us carry a knife for utilitarian purposes, it can be that last ditch weapon you might need. Having been to Iraq (2003, 2004) and Afghanistan (2009), and having a quality knife, I'm not going to go cheap.
    FWIW I own a CRKT M16-14SF and it is the best folder I have ever owned, hands down. I beat it to hell and it stands up to all the punishment like nothing. It's my go-to knife and if anything ever happens to it I will buy another one exactly like it.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    when I couldn't afford Snap-on tools.
    Snap-On? No way. Mac or S-K.

Just bustin' your chops, bro!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've noticed that whether a knife cost me around 100.00 I can dull it just as fast as a 10.00 knife sometimes even with my eyes closed
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Aside from collector knives, the expensive ones are often hand-made, and made of a higher-grade steel. Truth be told, you will probably never need a knife to do what these very expensive knives can do.

Administrator
    Sometimes it's not so much the exact steel that is used but, the extra & exacting heat treatment that makes all of the difference in a knife.

With Busse it's not only the proprietary INFI steel used but, the hardening/tempering & Cryogenic heat treatment that makes them uber-tough.

That having been said...I have a Busse TANK BUSTER on the way to my front door.

They say that with regard to a Busse...you only ever really need one but, Strange??? I seem to "need" more of them than only one.

They say that with regard to a Busse...you only ever really need one but, Strange??? I seem to "need" more of them than only one.
    Heh. I know what you mean.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I break $10 knifes faster than I can buy them...When I bought knifes from places like auto parts stores, walmart and hardware stores I went through 3-4 per year... they never took an edge and something on them always broke... even had a blade snap which almost resulted in me being injured.

Now I carry a CRKT M21 every day. I think it cost me $60 but I can't really remember since it is the only knife that has lasted me over 3 years... For someone that wants a knife to cut something yeah get something cheap. But if you want to really use and abuse your knife, you should invest in something a little better.

On the other side of the argument I can't see spending much more than $100 for a folder either... it gets to a point where you are paying for the name and/or hype more than a good tool.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I have a Randall Model 2-8, I take it out, wipe it down admire it then put it back.lol Love that knife!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links