Whats so great about expensive knives? - Page 4

Whats so great about expensive knives?

This is a discussion on Whats so great about expensive knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Billspider I have a Randall Model 2-8, I take it out, wipe it down admire it then put it back.lol Love that ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Whats so great about expensive knives?

Quote Originally Posted by Billspider View Post
    I have a Randall Model 2-8, I take it out, wipe it down admire it then put it back.lol Love that knife!
    Man, You need to use your knife.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

For me, it is the durability. The blades maintain an edge longer and can be sharpened to any degree I need.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    What is so great about expensive knives?

If you need to ask, you can't possibly understand.
    And THAT sums it up, quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by TWO GUNS View Post
    Man, You need to use your knife.
    An 8" long Model 2 was made for only one purpose. Let's hope he doesn't use his knife.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonk View Post
    7Marketing, luck, and care all play factors here. Get what you want and enjoy!
    and sometimes you just get lucky. My EDC came "free if you order $X" from some company. It's comfortable, stays on my pants nicely, fits my hand and opens easier than anything else I've tried, and can be sharpened up ooh so nicely! I think I might be able to shave with it, and I opened a can of dog food with it a couple of weeks ago. Broke a Buck knife opening a can of beans once, so I had my doubts....

To me a knife is all about the metal of the blade. I've got a couple of kitchen paring knives that were given to me that I can't seem to put a good edge on and you can forget about keeping it either. I hate that knife, but hubbs seems to like it. Go figure on that one. After that, it's about how it fits your hand and that varies from person to person.

The only folder I ever had close on me was really old and didn't have any kind of lock. And well, I still have all my fingers
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by HiFreq47 View Post
    Benchmade 520 Presidio
    Thats beautiful knife. I saw Benchmade 741 Onslaught and fell in love with it. Its gonna to be my next knife!!

Got Sig? SP2022

If you were going to shoot a mime, would you use a silencer?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Sometimes it's not so much the exact steel that is used but, the extra & exacting heat treatment that makes all of the difference in a knife.

With Busse it's not only the proprietary INFI steel used but, the hardening/tempering & Cryogenic heat treatment that makes them uber-tough.

That having been said...I have a Busse TANK BUSTER on the way to my front door.

They say that with regard to a Busse...you only ever really need one but, Strange??? I seem to "need" more of them than only one.
    I am with you, I bought my Badger Attack thinking it will be the last fixed blade knife I ever needed, now it has four Busse brothers and counting. What happened there? LOL

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Why do people buy a Mercedes or BMW when a Chevy will get you from point A to point B?
    Why do people wear a Rolex or Breitling watch when a Timex will keep good time?

Because there are people that want and can afford higher quality goods...
    Proud NRA member

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    In my honest experience? Absolutely nothing.

You can talk about superior craftsmanship, better steel and other materials, etc all you want, but the harsh reality is that once the you break the $150-200 street price level you start seeing a very marked decrease in your bang-for-buck ratio. Is there a status in them? Certainly. Do they look prettier? Maybe. Do they do the end-use job of separating one thing from another any better? Not really.

Not saying that there isn't any point in a high-end custom knife. There is obviously a demand for them. I'm just saying that if you really don't care about carrying a Gucci-looking status symbol, then you're probably better off with a good production model and a bunch of extra money left over for other stuff.

yet the Busse and Scrapyards continually outperform the rest..... www.knifetests.com Home

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    yet the Busse and Scrapyards continually outperform the rest..... www.knifetests.com Home
    Oh, I get it! You're one of those guys. No worries, bro. I just won't respond to any further posts of yours in this thread.

I don't know but I carry a $550 Sebenza every day. Have for the last year andI love it.

Spending that much money on a knife makes sense from an elitist standpoint only. I have carried the same $45 gerber for over 5 years. It cuts rope, its a pry bar, its been known to turn screws, it opens paint cans, ect... I rides in my pocket every day at work and at home. At least every other month it makes a trip through the washer and dryer, but still holds an extremely sharp edge, opens quicker than any other knife (except spring assisted) that I have played with. It locks firmly and still looks great to. I have only sharpened this knife 5 times that I can recall, but its cuts something at least every other day. I would like to see how these pricey pieces would handle the torture that I inflict on my gerber.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Oh, I get it! You're one of those guys. No worries, bro. I just won't respond to any further posts of yours in this thread.
    What is one of those guys? Someone who likes to spend money once something that will last me a lifetime because I learned my lesson about cheap junk? I own benchmade axis lock folders and Busse fixed blade knives.I own glocks, XD's, revolvers, 1911's and BHPs..... it's all good. I like quality. No need to respond. There are many buck and gerber knives and tauruses and hi points out there to choose from.

If you guys have a local wally world. Buck 110 is 26 (down from 66 on the site)

Exspensive knives are great if you can afford them and if its a particular style you like. Some are overdone.

I see it simply like this also, an exspensive knife can be engraved, damascus steel and anything else you could think of and cost 1000.00 dollars, you can find a knife that has the same characteristics and look for 40 dollars (Saw one at the gun show just like describeD) and tell first thing you cut will be the last thing it cuts.

I carry a buck 110 when I go somewhere nice (out to family events)
    and usually a benchmade LFK for every other time.

26 dollar knife and a 100 dollar knife.

My girlfriend likes her Mtech micro
    Boker Bulldog
    and m tech stilleto style knives to carry
    6 dollars, 10 dollars, and 10 dollars.

It just really depends on what you like and what you can afford. If I could I would want to own a "Fat Kat" Beautiful knife or the cold steel Esparza but will probably buy a Spartan to go with my Kabar mule.
    swiftyjuan likes this.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links