Whats so great about expensive knives?

This is a discussion on Whats so great about expensive knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daily carry is a Strider SnG that MSRPs at about $400 and a Glock that I got for $475. My favorite knife of all ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Whats so great about expensive knives?

My daily carry is a Strider SnG that MSRPs at about $400 and a Glock that I got for $475.

My favorite knife of all time is my Benchmade 5000 Auto-Presidio. While in Iraq, the coil spring snapped on me after 2 or so years of use. Not having any other option, I opened it up (with my Benchmade brand too kit) and removed the offending spring and had a very stout gravity knife. Now, as some of you may know, this VOIDS the Benchmade warranty, because I fu**ed with it, not to mention that a spring is basically an expendable part, and should be expected to break eventually. When I returned home and repair became an option I e mailed Benchmade and asked them if they could fix it and how much it would cost me. They sent me box with pre-paid shipping, repaired it free of charge, took a few nicks out of the edge and had it back to me in under 2 weeks. Sadly I cannot carry it anymore in PA (but I can own it).

With that move, Benchmade made me a loyal customer for life, and I take every opportunity to give them a thumbs up for great service and backing the armed forces.

It's just something to keep in mind, when you spend a little more on an "overpriced" Benchmade the "extra" money they make can go into making things like my story above possible.

I am a loyal Strider customer for similar reasons, though I have never broken one myself.
    Yankeejib likes this.

2. Remove Ads

I possess many knives. Many are Balisongs. Custom handmade Balisongs run $450+++. Production Balisongs are made in smaller quantities or are discontinued so they are also costly. Most have materials that are difficult to work with such as titanium and most have higher grade steel that retains edges longer.

Others are automatic knives like a Microtech Combat Troodon or multilayered San Mai Steel knives like my Cold Steel Master Tanto and MCUSTA Katana.

Workmanship and materials are the key factors that make a knife cost a bit.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I have owned my Kershaw knife for about 6 years and I carried it off and on duty as well. It is still in good shape and still keeps an edge. I don't understand why would anybody spend more than $100 for a street blade. I say spend the extra money on some training on how to use a knife for self defense purposes. I wonder how many people on this forum even know how to use a knife for SD.

It reminds me of a deputy that I knew who would spend all kinds of money on guns but yet he could not shoot worth a crap. I told him to stop spending money on guns and spend it on some extra gun training. Until they come out with a knife that will defend me with out my assistance I will keep on buying low priced knives and keep on training.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "I love my Busse knives.They will last longer than I will." <~~~
    At your age that is not really saying a lot no is it?

J/K had to let it out. I'll go take my meds now
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I think there is definitely a point that you are upgrading by spending more money. From my knife purchases I find that number to be around $200 bucks. Very much passed that I dont feel like the upgrade is worth the extra money. Solid locking mechanism and decent blade steel are definitely worth the investment. Whether defensively or not a good tool always makes the job easier. I carry an Emerson Commander or a Spyderco SuperLeaf and they are excellent knives that will probably last me a very long time as long as I maintain them. This like many other things is a personal preference. Carry what you like because you will be more confident in it.
    Yankeejib likes this.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

In my LE days I had the chance to train with some navy SEALS. The subject of knives cameup as some knife makers will advertise " AS CARRIED BY NAVY SEALS ". He explaoned that the makers would come onto their base and offer coustom knives for them to try and keep. The knives would go into the gun safe and the SEALS would continue to carry Leatherman tools and Benchmade, Cold Steel. etc. If they lost those knoves, no big deal.
    I don't know if this applies to this thread but I thought I would chime in.

Ive carried a $20 crkt for years. Flat on one side and just now losing being crazy sharp. A $40 Kershaw is high end for me.

A knife is like any other tool. Chances are most guys will only use their pocket knife to open the occasional package or trim a loose stitch on his jeans and a $40.00 Walmart deluxe is fine. For a professional who may need it to pierce anything from leather to bone, quality can not be substituted.

Well my 40 dollar Kershaw can go through leather and bone.....I don't know what type of professional you are referring to but as a LEO I used my Kershaw on and off duty. I carry them for one purpose only and that is to defend myself
    "You fight the way you Train"

THIS hits the nail on the head:

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    There are some diminishing returns to consider. I think the difference between a $10 knife and a $50 knife is likely to be pretty obvious. If you can get up into the $80-$90 range, you'll probably see even more quality. But the difference between a $120 blade and a $500 model is likely to be less obviously dramatic.

To the collector, having a knife from a specific maker might justify the expense. To the workman, a high-priced safe queen might well be a waste of money.

When I'm at home and need to open a box or something like that, I'll grab one of the cheaper (albeit sharp) models. If I'm heading out the door and want a defensive tool, I'll grab one of the higher-end items. For me, "higher end" means something that retailed for around $80 or so MSRP - which I got for maybe half that.

Look, at the end of the day, we're talking about a sharp piece of metal. A solid knife from a good maker and designer made from good materials doesn't have to be in the high 3-figures to meet the needs of the general owner. If you shop aggressively and wait patiently for a bargain, you can get a very good knife for a reasonable price.
    I've got some Spyderco, Kershaw, Benchmade, and Buck knives that I bought for between $40-$90 that are fantastic knives. Also some Benchmades that I bought for between $120 and $200. Bottom line for me is that you can get a great knife that's well made, with good quality steel, and a lifetime warranty for between $50 to $100. I see little reason to spend more than, perhaps $120 for a knife, unless you just feel like spending more for whatever reason. The law of diminishing returns definitely sets in at between $90-$120 or so.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Several years ago, when my step-son was installing telephones for a living, he carried a serious tool belt, but did not carry a folding knife. One day he asked me why I paid $60+ for knives, when they looked just like the cheap one from WalMart. I explained about the quality of steels, the materials the grips were made from, and reliability (reputation), I gave him one of my Benchmades, and told him to try it. About three months later he told me "You know, if I leave home without my knife now, I have to come back for it; I don't know how I worked without it before." He and I both collect knives now, and every Christmas I give my sons and son-in-law matching knives; their first use is always opening other Christmas presents.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I agree with what many others are saying. I won't spend more than $100 on a knife, and it would have to be one hell of a knife for me to approach that dollar amount. I went through this debate myself quite a while ago when I lost my S&W SWAT automatic knife (great knife btw, really hate that I lost it) which cost about $50 when I bought it. I was looking through here and seeing some of the recommendations...thinking yeah those look nice...then I went and found out how much they cost, and all I could think was...why?

It's not as though I couldn't have afforded one if I had to have it, but seriously how much better could it be than my $50 S&W? That knife was a trooper. I'm not easy on knives at all, if I need to cut something I cut it with the knife I'm carrying, and then I put it back in my pocket with the loose change and car keys. I need four things out of a knife: it has to hold an edge reasonably well, have a clip on the side, be durable, and be an automatic just because I like to quickly deploy my knife one handed when I need to use it. It doesn't have to be pretty, it doesn't have to be smooth as glass, it doesn't have to have panel gaps tighter than a new Benz, nor does it have to be combat ready (let's face it if there's a knife fight I'm running the other way). It just has to work.

Ultimately I ended up trying out a Boker Kalashnikov. Another great knife maker, also cost around $50. I can't even remember when I got it, but it's been through hell and back but yet still locks and holds together solidly, no blade play at all, open or closed. Here's some pics so you can see that it does get used.

And if I need a knife bigger than that for whatever reason I'll just use the bayonet that came with my AK-47. If it was good enough for the Soviet military it's good enough for me.

I personally doubt it will ever fail, but if for some reason it does I'll buy another Boker automatic or another S&W auto...

That's not to say that expensive knives don't have their place. I have a few expensive ones that are very nice looking but they are novelty items, for display purposes only. I simply can't see spending that much on a knife for daily beat-em-up, cutting anything I need to pocket carry.

Someone earlier used a car analogy saying the more expensive knives were like Benzes whereas the less expensive models were like Chevrolets...that may be true, but would you really use a Benz for hauling heavy equipment, or dirty and rough construction jobs? That's how I expect my knife to perform. I don't see the need for a Mercedes G-Class when a heavy duty Chevy pickup/SUV will do the job just as well with no need for concern over dinging up the fancy tool during the rough treatment that will inevitably happen, or feelings of a major sense of loss should the knife become irreparably damaged or lost. It happens. It happened to me with my S&W, I'm very glad it wasn't a $100+ knife or I would have been a lot madder than I was.

This was not meant to be an inflammatory post, only my thoughts. If you've got an expensive knife that means the world to you, that's great. Carry it with pride and rock on. I'm a strong believer in performance and value in the same package. I don't believe that a $180 or more Benchmade, Microtech, or the like would have held up any better than my Boker these past few years, and the money I saved helped me buy other things to enjoy life with...like beer.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by mlkx4 View Post
    Spending that much money on a knife makes sense from an elitist standpoint only.
    Not really, some people spend $150 on shoes, some people spend $300 on sun glasses or $40,000 on a car or truck. I paid $500 for a knife I use it everyday. That is something enjoyed spending my hard earned money on. I also recently spent a grand on an EMP .40. However I am far from elite I reserve that term for people who don't understand that other people, have different wants, needs or desires, and that is o.k.

Trying to understand another person's preferances or financial priorities is a lost cause. I know a guy who carries a high dollar Kimber because, according to him he can't put a value on his or his family and wants the best to protect them. However, the family truckster that he hauls them around in is in desparate need of new tires and other general maintenance attention. I realized pretty quick that he and I didn't see eye to eye on financial priorities when it comes to personal protection.

I see nothing wrong with someone using a really fancy, really expensive, special, custom or whatever knife for every-day dirty jobs... if that's what they choose to do with their money, that's great and nothing wrong with it at all.

But I don't see any need, personally, to spend more than $50-$100 for a great knife that offers wonderful utility and long life. I can afford the expensive knives and do have a few of them, but they don't see much use from me... I'm actually happier using more reasonably priced knives for my day-to-day carry and cutting needs.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links