Whats so great about expensive knives?

This is a discussion on Whats so great about expensive knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by NCSoxFan I know a guy who carries a high dollar Kimber because, according to him he can't put a value on his ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Whats so great about expensive knives?

Quote Originally Posted by NCSoxFan View Post
    I know a guy who carries a high dollar Kimber because, according to him he can't put a value on his or his family and wants the best to protect them.
    It could easily be argued that if he wanted "the best" to defend his family with, he might want to reconsider that choice. But this illustrates your point well. If someone perceives something as being a great choice, whether it actually is or not, that is the belief of that individual and what they based their personal decision on and usually, there's no accounting for such.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

2. Remove Ads

I have some knifes; I can tell you that there is a difference from carbon steel and stainless. To each there own, I prefer carbon Schrade USA 498, Schrade USA UH 172 .The down side they will rust if not oiled.

I have several girlfriends: cheap ones and not so cheap ones.
    They all serve a similar purpose, but only to a "point".
    The cheap ones don't get things done as nice "all the time" as the not so cheap ones.
    Therefore the cheap ones get the daily type tasks
    i understand the practical standpoint and that's why i'll always have a use for several cheap ones
    But i still like my not so cheap ones better because when it gets down to the serious tasks they perform.
    There is something to be said for quality
    And when the blade confronts many different surfaces, materials, and hardness quality will be cheaper in the long run
    Maybe it's just me but i take better care of the things i have a reason to like better.............

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Since this thread got revived - and since I'm still a knife-nut to some extent - I'll add my two-cents.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    There are some diminishing returns to consider. I think the difference between a $10 knife and a $50 knife is likely to be pretty obvious. If you can get up into the $80-$90 range, you'll probably see even more quality. But the difference between a $120 blade and a $500 model is likely to be less obviously dramatic.

To the collector, having a knife from a specific maker might justify the expense. To the workman, a high-priced safe queen might well be a waste of money.

When I'm at home and need to open a box or something like that, I'll grab one of the cheaper (albeit sharp) models. If I'm heading out the door and want a defensive tool, I'll grab one of the higher-end items. For me, "higher end" means something that retailed for around $80 or so MSRP - which I got for maybe half that.

Look, at the end of the day, we're talking about a sharp piece of metal. A solid knife from a good maker and designer made from good materials doesn't have to be in the high 3-figures to meet the needs of the general owner. If you shop aggressively and wait patiently for a bargain, you can get a very good knife for a reasonable price.
    At least one other member quoted/highlighted this post. I'm doing the same.

I'm a self-removed knife collector. I still maintain a decent collection of interesting pieces, but I'm no longer active in the hobby.

With what little knowledge and know-how I have, from those days, I agree 100% with shockwave's sentiments. There was a recent thread in my local CCW community, someone asking for advice for a EDC folder, something that he'd spend some good money on, and you can see that my replies pretty much overlaps with the basic recommendation that shockwave puts forward: Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums • View topic - Knife for EDC - Suggestions?

I been very lucky. I've met some very good people in my time in that hobby, people who were selfless with their collections and mentored me. I've been lucky to have owned - and still own - some very desirable pieces.

My recommendation for someone who is simply looking for a nice, durable user is to have a budget of about $100. That's going to guaranty a solid buy, both in terms of the product as well as, usually, the company behind the product (yes, there's plenty of good stuff in the $50 range, but you'll need to know what you're looking for). If you want to spend more for something with a little more sentimental value, $250 to $350 will usually net you some really nice hardware. If you're looking to break into the custom world, $500 is a generous budget, particularly if you can get to a larger regional knife show and/or if you can sit on that money and take your time to research your purchase, joining a couple of online knife-hobby communities to wait for the many good deals that can be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    No,im serious.I have always bought knives from pawn shops,Walmart and such.What is the big deal about $150 knives? If its the sharpness aspect of it,i dont understand either.You can sharpen knives you know.
    All u need right here and at a $34 price point! Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty!

IMG_20110618_013402.jpg

All the cheap knives I have seem to lack the ability to "cleave flesh" like a good quality blade will do.
    I would rather die standing up than live life on my knees.

My MicroTech HALO V will do the job at hand anytime,and it was well worth the $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by lpd226 View Post
    All u need right here and at a $34 price point! Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty!

IMG_20110618_013402.jpg
    I love the skyline :D Good knife :D
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Yes, a good blade is worth the extra money

I must use my pocket knife 20-30 times a day on a slow day. I am a cabinet maker and use it for everything from sharpening pencils to cutting my meat. I have used them for cutting heavy straps on bundled lumber, plastic sheating, pape,r cardboard and, of course, as a chisel. Hammer on the back of a folding knife if you want to see if it is well made or not. My Kershaw was up the task. If you watch some of the things nuttin' Fancy does to fixed blades you might not be impressed till you try the same things with a cheap knife. I will admit that I have a few cheap knives that I like. I also have a couple of medium priced, $50-$70 knives that I am not impressed with. My most expensive knife is a Cold Steel Military Classic San Mai III. It is a great looking knife and it comes with a great sheath. It also takes an edge like a Razor. I have two Buck Night Hawks that I consider to be great buys. I recently picked up a Boker Dozier for $40 and I think it will make a great EDC knife as soon as I get a proper sheath for it. My largest knife is a Ka-Bar large bowie. It is not expensive for a knife of this size but it will stand up to a lot of punishment. My next folder will be a ZT 0350 and my next fixed blade will be a Cold steel Recon Scout. These are not overly expensive knives but are certainly way above being called cheap.

I tend to find higher priced knifes better made but there are exceptions to that rule. For instance Kersaw Junk Yard Dog, I purchased one for $40 and believe in many ways can stand up to some $200 folders. One of my recent purchases was the Benchmade Bedlam for $180 and can say easily worth every cent dished out for it. One company, Emerson might appear to sell knifes that are overpriced yet if you look closely this company does excellent work and worth shelling out the price Ernie sets for them.

Benchmade Bedlam, Kersaw Junk Yard Dog over a Kimber
    Bedlam_JunkyardDog.jpg
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Just posted this thread on another thread
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    A few months ago the wife and I went on a putt to the ocean, and stumbled across an Arts & Crafts fair. We window shopped visiting with craftsmen, seeing what they create with their hands. In one booth a one off hand made knife caught my eye. It was just beautiful and it fit my hand perfectly. After talking to the maker Michael Igo while admiring his work for a bit, I got his card. Maybe I would get one of his knives for myself at someday.

Unknown to me my wife contacted Mike after we got home and asked Mike to hold it for her. Than each time she was to send payment life happened. The car died, the water pump to the well went out, a payment to us was delayed. According to my wife Mike was understanding, courteous and patient. A real gentleman to deal with. He even held the knife for her at a show he did in Vegas.

Last month the knife arrived here a belated birthday gift. It is more beautiful than I remembered. Simple elegant lines gracefully flow from the blade tip to the butt of the handle. The blade is hand forged Damascus with 416 layers of high carbon tool steel, 52100, 5160, 15N20. Full tang construction.
    Over all length of 7.5 inches.
    Blade is 3 7/16 inches long,
    1 inch wide at its widest point
    3/16 inches thick at the spine.
    The cutting edge appears to be ground at 23 degrees.

You really have to hold it to appreciate it. Center balance point is where the bolster meets the handle which gives it a neutral balance in my hand. The Mammoth Ivory scales feel warm to the touch. The handle fits perfectly in my hand providing a solid comfortable grip in a forward, reverse or over hand grip. It feels like and extension of my hand. Like it wants to cut something.
    The sheath is a unique cross draw design that lays flat against my body appendix carried and slightly off body in the 9 O'Clock position. Set at a perfect angle for a comfortable natural draw, at least for me. The knife sits deep in the sheath so that a two finger grip is required to pull it free before getting a full grip on the handle. Not ideal IMO for a primary defensive blade. Not at big deal, as I have no intention on using this as my primary defensive knife.

I re profiled the edge to 21 degrees on my Edge Pro. Finishing with 7000 grit mylar tape to give it a polished edge before a quick swipe on a clean Russian Leather strop and wipe down with some olive oil. That was a month ago I have carried and used it daily. I have not batoned fire wood, hacked through cinder blocks or fire doors nor opened up #10 cans with it. I have sharpened pencils (a wood writing instrument with a lead core once commonally used to write words on paper), feathered fire sticks, opened boxes, sliced all kinds of paper testing sharpness. We did have an accident and my S10 Chevy bumper was dragging, so I cut it off. The knife sliced through the bumper like the proverbial hot knife through butter and has held its edge to slice steak, open up Dungeness and King crab shell, slice tomatoes, open boxes, cut rope, string, web straps whatever day to day cutting tasks have come along. Edge retention has been excellent. It has stayed as shaving sharp as the day I first sharpened it. As my bald left leg can attest. No doubt this will be an excellent skinner and more than capable of dealing with any task put to it.

Do I really need a knife like this? Probably not. That really is not the question. Other less expensive knives will do all those mundane tasks almost as well, but none of them will bring the smile and pride of ownership that this one does every time I unsheathe it. This is a gentle mans knife. A thing of beauty that is sure to become a family heirloom, but not a safe queen. I feels to good in my hand more than capable of dealing with whatever I will need it for. It will work every day of its life. At a price that is less than what I have paid for some production knives.

If you too want a top quality custom hand made knife from hand forged Damascus steel, with an included custom sheath.
    Michael Igo at Igo Knives
    Phone: number is 5092510552
    or mail: IgoKnives@Hotmail.com

You can do a lot worst than this. Truth is I do not think you can get a better deal anywhere else. Michael is a great guy to deal with. He also makes some excellent kitchen cutlery I am sure he can put together whatever you need.
    BladeSpine.jpgBladeinHand.jpgBladeR.jpgBladeL.jpg
    Maybe its like that old Biker saying. If I have to explain it to you you'll never undertsand
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Nice. That's a beauty. I'm even happier, as a fellow knife-nut, that it's been put to good (all kinds!) of use.

I sold this recently for more than I paid for it. I enjoyed its beauty for many years.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by lpd226 View Post

IMG_20110618_013402.jpg
    Excellent budget knife. One of my faves.

A few months ago the wife and I went on a putt to the ocean, and stumbled across an Arts & Crafts fair. We window shopped visiting with craftsmen, seeing what they create with their hands. In one booth a one off hand made knife caught my eye. It was just beautiful and it fit my hand perfectly. After talking to the maker Michael Igo while admiring his work for a bit, I got his card. Maybe I would get one of his knives for myself at someday.
    Lovely post, and quite a complement coming from you, sir!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links