Whats so great about expensive knives?

This is a discussion on Whats so great about expensive knives? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No,im serious.I have always bought knives from pawn shops,Walmart and such.What is the big deal about $150 knives? If its the sharpness aspect of it,i ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Whats so great about expensive knives?

No,im serious.I have always bought knives from pawn shops,Walmart and such.What is the big deal about $150 knives? If its the sharpness aspect of it,i dont understand either.You can sharpen knives you know.

The type of steel used the quality of the workmanship.The over all quality of the knife.Kind of like a Wilson Combat to a Hipoint.They both do the job but one of the two is better than the other.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I too have bought several cheap knives which dont ever seem to last. My first knife was a S&W SWAT with an ivory insert that has the old faithful geyser engraved on it. My dad bought it for me when i was 11, it cost around $70 and i still have it now. I am looking right now at three other knives i have which all are broken and were cheap. I recently spent $110 on a Benchmade Griptilian and I'm interested in seeing how long it lasts.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    What's so great about your expensive SA TRP? I've bought 1911s that cost a third as much and still shoot fine.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Knives have basically one integral piece,the blade.And my Walmart knives work just fine you know,i dont see how you broke them doing anything less than trying to behead a live crocodile.

Guns have several,several working parts.And i think my TRP is the best looking 1911,and also think that the crazy looking Benchmade knives arnt all that pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocksin View Post
    Knives have basically one integral piece,the blade.
    Not true, Knives basically have three integral pieces. The blade, the handle, and how the blade is attached to the handle. If the blade snaps in two under heavy use, it is now worthless. If the handle breaks and you have nothing to hold onto the blade with, it is also useless. If you have a folding knife and the lock fails allowing the blade slam closed on your fingers, the knife has failed.

If you are happy with cheap inexpensive knives, no one is forcing you to buy anything else. Not all inexpensive knives are cheaply made and will work just fine. Many $2 knives have killed many people. Many $2 knives have also failed and caused injury to the owner as well. But then again, so has expensive knives.

Some knives I know for a fact will work better than others, and I choose to buy knives I know are not likely to fail at the worst possible time.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

My biggest issue are the clips. I have two with broken clips and yes they still work fine, but they dont clip to my pocket. They are now not useful for me on a daily basis. Did i throw them away? No. I still use them occasionally. The other one...well the blade is destroyed from when i tried to cut off the crocs head.

Lolz i dont think my Griptilian is "crazy looking" it looks like a basic folder to me. Mabye i think you are crazy looking.

What is so great about expensive knives?

If you need to ask, you can't possibly understand. I'm going to go hug my Emerson Commander with a Titanimum Framelock & CF insert now.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    If you have a folding knife and the lock fails allowing the blade slam closed on your fingers, the knife has failed.
    .... And your friends call you "Stubby" or "Lefty"!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I like my $180 Benchmade 520 Presidio for many reasons: It's beautiful in a function-over-form way. The size/heft/balance are outstanding for my hand. Quality blade steel (154CM in this case). The Benchmade Axis lock (which I prefer over all others - this coming from someone who's had a liner-lock break and had the blade in question slice through my palm down to the bone).

The knife reeks of quality. The oversized brass washers between the blade and liners make deployment a glass-smooth operation. Whether deployed or not, the knife is bank-vault tight with no play anywhere between the blade and handle. The blade is perfectly centered between the liners - I mean perfectly - this has always been a pet peeve of mine with knives - I want everything to be true and aligned. A good amount of thought went into the handle on this knife - it is equally comfortable and secure (very secure) in the Hammer, Saber, Reverse Blade-In, and Reverse Blade-out grips/techniques.

From a customer-service perspective, I also like dealing with the higher end companies because they stand by their products. Both Benchmade and Spyderco for example offer free sharpening service (just include $5 for the cost of shipping) ... to someone who is sharpening-illiterate like me, that's a plus. I once tried sharpening my Spyderco Salsa and was successful in not only dulling the blade, but putting two nice scratches into it as well. This was approximately 8 years after I'd bought the knife. I sent the knife into Spyderco with a note asking them to sharpen it and to see if they could do anything with the scratches. I got the knife back around two weeks later with a razor-sharp blade that had been polished again to remove my idiot scratches, as well as new bushings, a new belt clip, and they re-anodized the blue handles because of scratches that had come up over the years. It was a new knife again. I even got a personalized note back with the knife thanking me for using their products as intended and hoping that the results were to my satisfaction ... total cost ... $5 return shipping. Thank you very much Spyderco.

I've had many many knives over the years .... far too many in the sub $50 range .... I either don't know where they are or have thrown them all out. The only knives that remain are my Benchmades and two Spyderco's - they are the only ones that have lasted and the only ones I trust.

My presidio:
    .45acpguy likes this.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

My custom commander with the framelock done by reese weiland has been through hell, and it's still a tank.

I hacked a bumper off my car with it after a traffic accident and it didn't bother the knife.

When I mentioned the $600 folder to my insurance adjuster he said "Yes...$600 for a pocket knife...aren't they all...did the Rembrant get damaged in the trunk as well?" then I showed it to him.

He changed his tune and was like "Eh...I don't know if the policy will cover damage to that..." but as their was no damage, I never needed to make a claim.

My knife is beat to hell. If I sent it back to the guy who did the framelock for me, he'd either smile...or cry.

It's not a toy. It's a tool.

same difference between a fake sword and real sword...one will cut less, dull on you easily and fracture more easily...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    I think I see your point Glocksin. Perhaps what shapes my opinion is that I do not carry a knife as a defensive weapon (since I don't train with it, I couldn't complain if somebody gutted me with it, so it stays in my pocket).

However, I have upgraded my old Barlow to an $80 Spyderco, and I do notice and appreciate the quality. I dug out a cord that was wrapped around the clutch of my dad's chainsaw last weekend, and that would have likely snapped the tip off any of my drawer full of cheapos. It was still sharp enough to shave with, when I was done.

Just like firearms, I think there's a happy medium.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I got tired of going through cheap wrenches and finally spent money on something well-made that would last for a while.
    I suspect knives are the same way.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links