Gerber Knife Sharpening?

Gerber Knife Sharpening?

This is a discussion on Gerber Knife Sharpening? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Gerber Guardian I that my father gave to me. It is almost 30 years old and I want to take it to ...

Thread: Gerber Knife Sharpening?

Gerber Knife Sharpening?

I have a Gerber Guardian I that my father gave to me. It is almost 30 years old and I want to take it to Iraq with me here in a few weeks. I know the basics of knife sharpening, however this blade is special to me and I would like to have a professional do it so I don't muck it up. I was told I could send it in to Gerber and they would sharpen it for a nominal fee, but I'm concerned about the turn around time. Has anyone done this or have any experience with their sharpening service? Just wondering mainly about the turn-around time and how sharp your knife was when it returned to you. Thank you!

I would call Gerber and explain your situation and see if they can give you a, possibly preferred, turn around time. They state that resharpening is to a factory edge, which should be pretty fair.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Administrator
    Great & wicked bad knife.
    Just curious - Which Gerber Guardian do you have? There were originally 3 lengths. A large, a medium, & a small one.

I have the small one. It's the perfect size IMO. I'm not sure I even want to put it in the mail, but I do want to get a nice edge on it before I leave and don't think I have any other options.

EDIT: Looks exactly like this one with the same sheath, except of course it's not in as good of condition since it was used and not a collector's piece. :)

Administrator
    That's a nice little gem.

I'd call Gerber and explain the situation.

Honestly I'd be hesitant to take a knife like that with me to a combat zone, I have noticed that knives have a habit of walking away while on my deployments, or falling out of pockets when I was jumping canals, or just getting lost in other ways. If you do take it, make sure you have a very good sheath, and keep it on your person pretty much at all times.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Regarding calling Gerber.

Sadly...............Gerber knives are all actually MADE IN CHINA now.

"GERBER LEGENDARY BLADES" are now Gerber Imaginary Legendary Blades.

So...would Gerber be sending his knife off to the Commies to get sharpened?

BTW Cold Steel is Red Steel now & also Made In China.

I'm thinking about buying Rosetta Stone to learn the Chinese language since they will probably own my street before too very much longer.

I'll will need to be able to ask in Chinese if they can fix the pothole in the street in front of my house.

Or maybe they will try to make me fill the pothole in at gunpoint.

"Lazy, Stupid, American! We No Fix Potholes.....You will fix PotHole or you will get hole in back of your head!!!!" but, not until you build NEW WalMart on your street!!!!

Sorry I'm no good on answering the OP question. Just wanted to add a vote to becareful what you take. Really is an item that would walk off.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ...I'm thinking about buying Rosetta Stone to learn the Chinese language since they will probably own my street before too very much longer. I'll will need to be able to ask in Chinese if they can fix the pothole in the street in front of my house. Or maybe they will try to make me fill the pothole in at gunpoint...
    Nice one. I've given up worrying where something is made (well other than cars/ trucks). I just try to buy everything used, but still in good condition. Just cameback from an estate sale today. So much junk, but 2nd hand junk is easier on the wallet, and fills the need. Good knives and tools can almost always be found at a pawn shop or estate sale, sometimes better quality then new (maybe a bit less pretty) .
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I had a blade re-sharpened by Gerber many years ago (in Oregon) and it came back better than new...

I would look in the phone book for a local knife sharpening, cutlery shop... which is what I use here in Kansas City.

Many of these shops will sharpen 1 knife while you wait and you can probably watch. These shops due a lot of custom sharpening, high-end kitchen knives, knives for restaurants or local butcher shops.... and some even sell quality pocket knives and the like.

I would call them first and get a few names (here in KC there is really only 1 or 2 that come recommended... so your options could be limited)... but it will save you a lot of time and shipping costs.

Good luck.
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Thanks for all of the info everyone. I ended up taking it to my local range and found a guy there who was able to do it for me. I'm sure Gerber would have done a fine job, but I just couldn't justify putting it in the mail. I head out to the sandbox in a few days, but at least I get to spend Christmas at home. :)

Glad you found a satisfactory solution. Enjoy your Christmas and keep your head down on your deployment.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Unkind213 View Post
    Thanks for all of the info everyone. I ended up taking it to my local range and found a guy there who was able to do it for me. I'm sure Gerber would have done a fine job, but I just couldn't justify putting it in the mail. I head out to the sandbox in a few days, but at least I get to spend Christmas at home. :)
    Glad it worked out for you.

Thank you for your service to your country... I am sure your family is very proud of you. I do not know you, but I am proud of you for your service. Stay safe and hopefully we will still hear from you on the forum from time to time.

Merry Christmas,
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

good luck over there keep your head low

Sponsored Links