Defensive Carry banner

Deploying a Thumb Stud Folder From Front Pocket

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  CDRGlock 
#1 ·

I was looking into "waved" knives today and saw a lot of ways to modify your current knife to make it open the same way. I'm considering the c-clip tightened under the thumb stud until I can afford a new knife.

Before I did that though, I messed around with it, seeing if I could get the thumb studs to be used to deploy it from the pocket. I found I can push the knife against my leg and pull back.

With a little practice, I was able to get a fairly good success rate with it. It isn't as good as a real wave, and I wouldn't want to try it in a self defense situation without a lot of practice. I did end up wearing a hole inside the pocket of my jeans after doing it for about an hour. When I realized this I smoothed off the thumb stud and tried it in a different pair of jeans. It didn't seem to show any wear in those jeans.

#4 ·
I've had my FAST jump open from catching the stud. Never got serious about doing it on purpose though.

#6 ·
In general, this seems like a goofy gimmick. So when I got the Ti-Lite, naturally I wanted to try it out (and did with both the 4" and 6" models).

Pros: Fast. Looks cool.
Cons: Need the right pair of jeans. Will wear pocket area ragged. If you miss, you have to change your grip to deploy manually. Unreliable deployment.

Now, maybe there's some clown out there who will argue with me, and say "My Emerson wave is 100 percent reliable and always opens when I snag it," but I wouldn't believe him.

On the other hand, manual deployment is equally fast and guarantees open every time and is easier on your wardrobe. Of almost equal importance is the need to practice manual blade deployment because that skill gets better over time and is transferable among your knives.

#7 ·
Any knife with a thumb stud can open like an automatic. Flicking the stud with your thumb, holding the knife firmly in your other fingers and quickly supinating the wrist will make any folder open.

If you want to see a video, let me know. I can put up a link.

#8 ·
Any knife with a thumb stud can open like an automatic. Flicking the stud with your thumb, holding the knife firmly in your other fingers and quickly supinating the wrist will make any folder open.
+1 :yup: A lot more reliable than snagging it on the pants IMHO. I wear different pants at different times, so I prefer a method that works regardless of what I'm wearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.