Deploying a Thumb Stud Folder From Front Pocket

This is a discussion on Deploying a Thumb Stud Folder From Front Pocket within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking into "waved" knives today and saw a lot of ways to modify your current knife to make it open the same way. ...

Thread: Deploying a Thumb Stud Folder From Front Pocket

Deploying a Thumb Stud Folder From Front Pocket

I was looking into "waved" knives today and saw a lot of ways to modify your current knife to make it open the same way. I'm considering the c-clip tightened under the thumb stud until I can afford a new knife.

Before I did that though, I messed around with it, seeing if I could get the thumb studs to be used to deploy it from the pocket. I found I can push the knife against my leg and pull back.

With a little practice, I was able to get a fairly good success rate with it. It isn't as good as a real wave, and I wouldn't want to try it in a self defense situation without a lot of practice. I did end up wearing a hole inside the pocket of my jeans after doing it for about an hour. When I realized this I smoothed off the thumb stud and tried it in a different pair of jeans. It didn't seem to show any wear in those jeans.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

2. Remove Ads

It looks like it works well for you with that particular pair of pants. Have you tried it wear pants of different materials?
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

It works very well with my Gerber F.A.S.T. Draw also.

This is not my photo - got it here:
    http://www.ddoffer.com/images/gerber%20fast%20open.jpg

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

I've had my FAST jump open from catching the stud. Never got serious about doing it on purpose though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Somehow the scene from Indiana Jones comes to mind.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    In general, this seems like a goofy gimmick. So when I got the Ti-Lite, naturally I wanted to try it out (and did with both the 4" and 6" models).

Pros: Fast. Looks cool.
    Cons: Need the right pair of jeans. Will wear pocket area ragged. If you miss, you have to change your grip to deploy manually. Unreliable deployment.

Now, maybe there's some clown out there who will argue with me, and say "My Emerson wave is 100 percent reliable and always opens when I snag it," but I wouldn't believe him.

On the other hand, manual deployment is equally fast and guarantees open every time and is easier on your wardrobe. Of almost equal importance is the need to practice manual blade deployment because that skill gets better over time and is transferable among your knives.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Any knife with a thumb stud can open like an automatic. Flicking the stud with your thumb, holding the knife firmly in your other fingers and quickly supinating the wrist will make any folder open.

If you want to see a video, let me know. I can put up a link.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Any knife with a thumb stud can open like an automatic. Flicking the stud with your thumb, holding the knife firmly in your other fingers and quickly supinating the wrist will make any folder open.
    +1 A lot more reliable than snagging it on the pants IMHO. I wear different pants at different times, so I prefer a method that works regardless of what I'm wearing.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    +1 A lot more reliable than snagging it on the pants IMHO. I wear different pants at different times, so I prefer a method that works regardless of what I'm wearing.
    A Navy Corpsman taught me that any knife can flip open like an assisted knife.

After that, I realized that I didn't need all of the "gimmicks" of assisted openers and automatics. However, I have a Microtech Combat Troodon. I gave my corpsman a knife since he was deploying.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Links