Ka-Bar TDI - Page 2

Ka-Bar TDI

This is a discussion on Ka-Bar TDI within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is the ankle rig for the Kabar TDI...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ka-Bar TDI

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    This is the ankle rig for the Kabar TDI

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I have a knife that is similar in design to the TDI called the TOPS Knives Scorpion's Tail. I carry it at my 1100-1130 on my belt for easy access from either hand, if I'm on my back, and/or in a "bearhug" style hold. Without a doubt, the TDI is a great knife. Many of my buddies in the service carried them and swore by their reliability.

Sorry to hear your's came "some assembly required".
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

I tend to be particular about the edge on my knives. In addition to other methods, I use a 30x jewelers loupe to check the edges.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Sponsor
    Guantes,
    I just picked up the same blade and was also disappointed with the factory edge. I have to say that I consider (any) Ka Bar to be a utility blade, not a high end tool. Working the edge a bit is not a big deal for me, especially on a $30.00 knife.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Luvmy40,
    That is very true, I was just somewhat surprised.

Tagged for future pic of my setup.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    An Austin, TX officer was almost killed recently when a suspect grabbed his TDI from his belt and stabbed him in the throat after a foot chase. Just a reminder that your pistol isn't the only thing you need to defend against a grab by an assailant.

The retention and control of any personally carried tool or device are the opposite of the deployment and application of that device or tool. It is the other side of the coin.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    An Austin, TX officer was almost killed recently when a suspect grabbed his TDI from his belt and stabbed him in the throat after a foot chase. Just a reminder that your pistol isn't the only thing you need to defend against a grab by an assailant.
    I would not carry this knife on duty. That is why I always carry folders. Kershaw makes good pressure release blades that you can deploy with one hand.
    "You fight the way you Train"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    I would not carry this knife on duty. That is why I always carry folders. Kershaw makes good pressure release blades that you can deploy with one hand.
    Although I have no issue with officers or anyone else carrying a knife for SD, I have a question for officers who do carry knives.

In a lifetime of reading news stories I have seen stories of BGs getting whacked with batons, beaten with fists, sprayed, tazed, shot with a primary, shot by a BUG, but I honestly don't ever remember reading about an arrestee being stabbed during a scuffle.

Have any of the participants here actually cut a suspect, held one at knife point, have first hand knowledge of an officer needing to use a knife? Just curious. And, if you don't have first hand knowledge of it, are there any good documented news stories about it happening?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    I've been looking at those and have some interest. Although, reading through what I can find on UT knife laws....I'm not so sure it would be allowable as a concealed EDC knife. Anyone here from UT that carries one or knows if it is allowed?
    Snowman, I carry this knife on and off duty, it's awesome. I found nothing in Utah code forbidding such a knife, where are you seeing that it may not be allowed?

Guantes, sorry to hear about your edge quality. When I purchased mine, the edge was great, now it's even better. (I like to sharpen knives....what can I say?)

On duty I carry mine at 9:00 on the inside belt, inside my flashlight. (I hope that makes sense) Very easy to access with either hand. Off duty I carry it OWB at 7:00 always under an un-tucked shirt.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

SML,
    I hear you, I'm a "sharpener" too.
    Why the switch from 9:00 to 7:00 when off?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Good point and that's my feeling too.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    SML,
    I hear you, I'm a "sharpener" too.
    Why the switch from 9:00 to 7:00 when off?
    I prefer to OC my gun, but ALWAYS CC my knife (off duty). I have a really hard time concealing the TDI at 9:00, but it's invisible at 7:00. The accessibility drops with the position change, but the knife is a "last resort" weapon for me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Gotcha, thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links