Ka-Bar TDI

This is a discussion on Ka-Bar TDI within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Although I have no issue with officers or anyone else carrying a knife for SD, I have a question for officers who do carry knives. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ka-Bar TDI

"Although I have no issue with officers or anyone else carrying a knife for SD, I have a question for officers who do carry knives.

In a lifetime of reading news stories I have seen stories of BGs getting whacked with batons, beaten with fists, sprayed, tazed, shot with a primary, shot by a BUG, but I honestly don't ever remember reading about an arrestee being stabbed during a scuffle.

Have any of the participants here actually cut a suspect, held one at knife point, have first hand knowledge of an officer needing to use a knife? Just curious. And, if you don't have first hand knowledge of it, are there any good documented news stories about it happening?"

I know a guy that got physical with a suspect and after ending up on the ground he was kind of stuck underneath the guy with his gun facing the ground and could not pull it out. He was able to place his left arm around the suspect's neck and control him but he said he was so freaking tired, so he pulled out his knife and placed the tip against the guy’s neck and told him if he moved he was going to stab his neck. The suspect froze and did not move until back up arrived.
    "You fight the way you Train"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    "Although I have no issue with officers or anyone else carrying a knife for SD, I have a question for officers who do carry knives.

In a lifetime of reading news stories I have seen stories of BGs getting whacked with batons, beaten with fists, sprayed, tazed, shot with a primary, shot by a BUG, but I honestly don't ever remember reading about an arrestee being stabbed during a scuffle.

Have any of the participants here actually cut a suspect, held one at knife point, have first hand knowledge of an officer needing to use a knife? Just curious. And, if you don't have first hand knowledge of it, are there any good documented news stories about it happening?"

I know a guy that got physical with a suspect and after ending up on the ground he was kind of stuck underneath the guy with his gun facing the ground and could not pull it out. He was able to place his left arm around the suspect's neck and control him but he said he was so freaking tired, so he pulled out his knife and placed the tip against the guy’s neck and told him if he moved he was going to stab his neck. The suspect froze and did not move until back up arrived.
    OK, that answers my question. I think if I had just tussled with someone on the ground I'd not have the self control to keep from sinking that knife.

Was just curious really because I don't recall hearing or reading stuff like, "officer held the suspect at knife point." Apparently it happens. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    They also have a very nice ankle rig for the TDI Knife. I just bought a very cool knife similar to the TDI called the Böker Plus MPT designed by Chad Los Banos. It comes with a Kydex sheat with a Tek-Lok system which allows you to use the knife in several different positions. I highly recommend it for concealed carry or for LEO. Here's a pic:

I also got the Böker Plus CLB neck knife which is fantastic for concealed carry. It comes with a Kydex sheath but with a military style "steel balled" necklace to hang around your neck. Sometimes I wear it and it is so light and comfortable that I forget I have there. Here's a pic:

I've been planning on adding a Kabar TDI to my collection for awhile but now you've caused me to add another to the list ;p That MPT is sweet, I just wish the plain edge also came in black.

Quote Originally Posted by johniac7078 View Post
    I like mine, but i really dont like the sheath. Anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket sheath?
    Leather
    http://wethearmed.com/index.php?topic=8250.0

other option:
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=589098

This is how I carry my Kabar TDI up front AIWB.
    Live in yellow or die in white.

I have always carried a "fixed blade" as well as a "folder" "on-duty" and I like the "TDI's", but would never carry one visible on my duty belt for the very possibility of what happened to the Austin Officer. What is easy for you to access is also easy for the suspects to access. Most of the encounters with suspects are "up close and personal" and that just gives the perp's an unjustifiable possibility and access to my blade.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    They also have a very nice ankle rig for the TDI Knife. I just bought a very cool knife similar to the TDI called the Böker Plus MPT designed by Chad Los Banos. It comes with a Kydex sheat with a Tek-Lok system which allows you to use the knife in several different positions. I highly recommend it for concealed carry or for LEO. Here's a pic:

I to am a fan of Chad's knife designs. My Subcom

is with me daily as my money clip. There are several great threads about it here. Deceptively small but his unique handle design provides a rock solid grip. Re profiled with a convex scalpel sharp edge intended for meat cutting only.

I do not like the Tek Loc system as it is just plain bulky. For now my MPT is my boot knife and just lace it up with the boot lace. Once I get some ironwood scales and a leather sheath I'll carry it as a belt knife as the small handle makes it look fairly innocuous. Again the design provides a rock solid grip. Another option I often carry as a boot knife is the BK11 aka the Becker Necker.

Also re profiled with a convex scalpel sharp meating cutting only edge. Though I have been known to use the bottle opener on occasion.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I used to have one of the small TDIs and carried it at the seven o'clock position as discussed above. I never had opportunity to use it. I handed it off to my USMC Corporal son prior to his over-seas deployment but never heard whether or not he was authorized to carry / wear it. I know that prior to leaving the CONUS he used to wear it concealed, much in the manner shown above. As skinny as he is, it's easy to hide under a shirt - BUT he has to worry about the legal considerations during his travels. (It is an observable oddity of life that he can carry a gun with an NC carry permit but the knife is still illegal to carry concealed).

While the TDIs are the ultimate in simple to deploy, from the police perspective I wouldn't want my cops (brother officers on my agency) to carry UNLESS the knives are properly administrated - that is to say that training and policy are in place to support them. Can you imagine being the first cop in the country to make it into the mainstream media for stabbing or slashing a suspect? Even if it's 100% justified you'll be crucified. Why? Because being cut is something almost everyone knows (even if by accident) and having our flesh cut to create bloodflow is a visceral fear we cannot escape without serious conditioning.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not arguing against knives. As I posted elsewhere, I never leave my house without two - and a flashlight... and (when and where legal) a gun... but I'd like to always be covered legally and administratively and I'd do all I can to insure that my carry / use is 100% articulable. Make Sense?
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

I don't see a difference between cutting someone and shooting them.......can't say neither one is more civilized that the other. However perception is the key factor and no LE agency in this country is going have its officers trained in the use of a knife for defensive purposes. When I worked as a LEO I always carried a knife and had been trained on how to use one. I never carried a back up pistol so I trained myself to use my knife as an alternate weapon....mostly as a means to defend against someone grabbing my gun.

I just ordered my TDI and plan to carry it on my right side with the handle facing forward. I can easily deploy the knife in a reverse grip and apply certain techniques with it. In California we have to carry fixed blades openly in a sheath that is attached to our belt so I don't plan to carry it all the time just once in a while.
    "You fight the way you Train"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links