Ka-Bar TDI

This is a discussion on Ka-Bar TDI within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going to put this in an older TDI thread, but it was closed. I received a Ka-Bar TDI as an early Xmas gift. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ka-Bar TDI

Ka-Bar TDI

I was going to put this in an older TDI thread, but it was closed.

I received a Ka-Bar TDI as an early Xmas gift. As per request if is the standard size with a plain blade.

The overall quality of the knife is good for a modest cost knife. The design is excellent for its intended use. I have one complaint. The edge was course and rough and looked like it was done with a 60d grinding wheel. To me, it was more like a saw than a knife. Even at that it was reasonably sharp, albeit rough. About forty-five minutes work and it had a mirror like, smooth edge that will shave an arm. I believe that is the coarsest edge I have received on a new knife.

I am exploring carry and deployment methods via tips in the earlier thread and my own innovations and expect it will become part of my edc.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

2. Remove Ads

I got a partially serrated model a few years back. I was carrying it on the under belt of my duty belt on the off side knife handle facing forward. It worked OK there until we were issued Taser's and I started running out of space on the belt. I now carry a Cold Steel Voyager clip point just infront of my duty gun clipped to my pants behind the underbelt and concealed by the outer ballistic vest cover. My TDI is finished well for an inexpensive knife but it now sits in the gun cabinet. My off duty knife is also a medium Cold Steel Voyager tanto point.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I hear you re space on the SB. I carried everything from a Buck 110 to a Gerber MKII.

I am fairly certain I am getting one for Christmas also. I will make sure I throw in my sharpening kit! It will give me something to do while I am hanging out at my in-laws. Thanks!
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

I've had one for several years...the blade will touch nothing except a dirtbag. It was (and obviously still is) razor sharp.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I received a Ka-Bar TDI as an early Xmas gift. As per request if is the standard size with a plain blade.

The overall quality of the knife is good for a modest cost knife. The design is excellent for its intended use. I have one complaint. The edge was course and rough and looked like it was done with a 60d grinding wheel.
    I've had mine for several years. Mine had a good edge out of the box and didn't require any extra work. Mine spends most of its time in my knife drawer as I never got much into knives for SD although I do think the TDI is a dandy little tool for its intended use and could certainly discourage someone up close trying to get too personal.

I've been looking at those and have some interest. Although, reading through what I can find on UT knive laws....I'm not so sure it would be allowable as a concealed EDC knive. Anyone here from UT that carries one or knows if it is allowed?

I like mine, but i really dont like the sheath. Anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket sheath?

3D
    Curious that. I just received mine in the mail last Thursday. Blade edge was rough but sharp. Been carrying Cold Steel Recon folder (Tanto point). Best I can find for North Carolina knife law is that it has to be a folder - the handle must completely cover the cutting edge. I like the speed of deploying the one-piece tool, like the TDI - LE, from the belt.

A. Carrying Concealed Weapons
    North Carolina law strictly controls the ability of individuals to carry weapons concealed. Except under the limited concealed handgun permit provisions of state law, described in Sections III. B and III. C of this publication, it is unlawful for any person in North Carolina, except when on his or her own premises, to willfully and intentionally carry concealed, either on or about his or her person, any "Bowie Knife, dirk, dagger, slingshot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles, razor, shurikin, stungun, or other deadly weapon of like kind.” Specifically exempted from the requirements of this law are ordinary pocket knives carried in a closed position. An ordinary pocket knife is defined as being "a small knife, that is designed to be carried in a pocket or purse, which has its cutting edge and point
    entirely enclosed by its handle.
    The knife must not be capable of being opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action." N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Interesting wording, in that I can open almost any folding knife with an "explosive" flick, which would seem to thereby make them not qualify as a pocket knife.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by johniac7078 View Post
    I like mine, but i really dont like the sheath. Anyone have any suggestions for an aftermarket sheath?
    Check out Invictus Kydex, I've got a few sheaths from him, he's a member here that goes by "Unloved" very nice quality work.

Cool

P18210542.jpg

This is the model that I have and the sheath worked well for me behind the duty belt. In CCW mode on a single belt it is a tad large and the slots would not fit on my double thickness gunbelt.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

Right now I am looking at off side 9 o'clock iwb using the belt clip. That provides three options. Cross draw, conventional grip, strong hand. Cavalry draw, conventional grip, off hand. Conventional draw, reverse grip, off hand.

The belt clip sheath does sound like an option that I should consider for IWB concealed carry. I do like the blade and handle style of the knife.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    They also have a very nice ankle rig for the TDI Knife. I just bought a very cool knife similar to the TDI called the Böker Plus MPT designed by Chad Los Banos. It comes with a Kydex sheat with a Tek-Lok system which allows you to use the knife in several different positions. I highly recommend it for concealed carry or for LEO. Here's a pic:

I also got the Böker Plus CLB neck knife which is fantastic for concealed carry. It comes with a Kydex sheath but with a military style "steel balled" necklace to hang around your neck. Sometimes I wear it and it is so light and comfortable that I forget I have there. Here's a pic:

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links