Going to NYC Tuesday, need some help (knives)

This is a discussion on Going to NYC Tuesday, need some help (knives) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife handed me a surprise week in New York City for Christmas as our first year of marriage anniversary present. I've never been to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to NYC Tuesday, need some help (knives)

My wife handed me a surprise week in New York City for Christmas as our first year of marriage anniversary present. I've never been to NYC, and she grew up going there often with her family. I know that I can not take a pistol to NYC, but I was wondering what their knife laws are? Not that I am a master of self defense with a knife, but I do like to have a blade on me for all kinds of reasons besides defense.
    What are their knife laws in NYC? I saw on handgunlaw.us that a knife 4" or less is legal, but does that mean a fixed blade knife under 4" is acceptable? I have a Ka-Bar TDI 3.75" fixed blade knife with a belt sheath (link below) and was wondering if something like that is legal? I will be flying and will have it in my checked baggage so any and all information will be greatly appreciated, and I thank you.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=857888

Merry Christmas!
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

VIP Member
    I don't know the technical answer to your question, but I would tend to assume that almost nothing is legal in NYC--

With that in mind, I'd look for something that can be used for self defense which does not resemble an actual (what folks normally think of) weapon.

Mercop recently posted some nice SD pics using an inexpensive comb. You can get a better quality one with some real steel. A flashlight with some heft. Be imaginative.

Maybe get yourself a man's bathroom mirror (like a woman's compact for shaving) break it in half to get an edge, put some tape on. I'm just thinking out loud, but you want a non-weapon weapon that you can have a plausible reason for keeping on your body or in a small carry on-- man purse. Your wife's metal nail file might work, especially if it is the kind that has a pointy edge you might want to sharpen a tad. Some nail clippers come with a blade like file. Small nail scissors. Hair tweezers. Look around your bathroom, your workshop, your kitchen, and let your mind be flexible. You can poke a hole and take a slice, poke out an eye, with lots of stuff besides knives, and have less potential trouble when they are found on your person while you were carrying them innocently.

I once knew a guy who was an ex-sheriff. He apparently also was at one time a welder. Though this isn't what you are looking for, it will give you an idea of what I mean by imaginative. They guy welded together a beautiful looking flower bouquet for his wife. Each flower had multiple points and sharpened edges. They were all held together at a sturdy base which could be gripped with one hand and swung. I guarantee you, no man could get past that thing without being sliced and diced; but it was a work of art and not a weapon.

Use your mind.

And NY is pretty safe if you stay in mid-town and do the tourist stuff. There are plenty of worse cities in the US these days as far as crime and violence go.

I generally keep a small flashlight in my pocket. I bought it for EMS uses but it can be used for self defenses. it has some pretty bright settings and one is a bright as hell strobe. Anywise the city is pretty safe, and loads of fun. Enjoy yourself. Depending what you like there is the Christmas market at Columbus circle which is pretty neat. Lots of crafty stuff and lots of people selling homemade Jewry, cloths, and such. as for the knife I would advise ageist it. the rule of thumb is you need a specific reason for the blade, and a specific reason why it is on you when on the street.

VIP Member
    For claybreaker0--- Ever open a champaign bottle? I wish I had a pic of what I have in mind. There are bottle openers which have a pointy spiral thingy that gets screwed into the cork, and handles which get pushed downward and in the process provide leverage for pulling the cork out.

One of those held in your hand would make a pretty good poker. An upper cut to the chin would drive it right through the tongue-- and there's be plenty of plausible explanations for why you had it on you--- going to, coming from, a Christmas party, a friend's home for champaign-- whatever.

Alex wrote: " the rule of thumb is you need a specific reason for the blade, and a specific reason why it is on you when on the street." Arrgh.

Glad I have a specific reason to not be there. Sorry Alex.

Youcan't have anything that can be used as a weapon. Even if you manage to find something that is actually legal to carry, any NYPD that sees you with it will find an excuse to bust you down, and find (or make up) something to charge you with. If you plan on carrying something, make sure no one can see it.

A friend who was a cop there says that the only thing you can legally carry is..

.......... A LOT OF LIFE INSURANCE.

He wasn't joking either.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Let me double check my law book but IIRC in NYC it has to be less than 4" and it can't be publicly displayed or worn outside of their clothing, that would also mean knives clipped onto pockets would be illegal.

edit: Yup thats correct. Here is the full text of the statute with pertinent details in bold.

New York City Administrative Code Section 10-133

a. Legislative findings. It is hereby declared and found that the possession in public places, streets and parks of the city, of large knives is a menace to the public health, peace, safety and welfare of the people of the city; that the possession in public places, streets and parks of such knives has resulted in the commission of many homicides, robberies, maimings and assaults of and upon the people of the city; that this condition encourages and fosters the commission of crimes, and contributes to juvenile delinquency, youth crime and gangsterism; that unless the possession or carrying in public places, streets and parks of the city of such knives without a lawful purpose is prohibited, there is danger of an increase in crimes of violence and other conditions detrimental to public peace, safety and welfare. It is further declared and found that the wearing or carrying of knives in open view in public places while such knives are not being used for a lawful purpose is unnecessary and threatening to the public and should be prohibited.

b. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry on his or her person or have in such person’s possession, in any public place, street, or park any knife which has a blade length of four inches or more.

c. It shall be unlawful for any person in a public place, street or park, to wear outside of his or her clothing or carry in open view any knife with an exposed or unexposed blade unless such person is actually using such knife for a lawful purpose as set forth in subdivision d of this section.

d. The provisions of subdivisions b and c of this section shall not apply to (1) persons in the military service of the state of New York when duly authorized to carry or display knives pursuant to regulations issued by the chief of staff to the governor; (2) police officers and peace officers as defined in the criminal procedure law; (3) participants in special events when authorized by the police commissioner; (4) persons in the military or other service of the United States, in pursuit of official duty authorized by federal law; (5) emergency medical technicians or voluntary or paid ambulance drivers while engaged in the performance of their duties; or (6) any person displaying or in possession of a knife otherwise in violation of this section when such knife (a) is being used for or transported immediately to or from a place where it is used for hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, picnicking or any employment, trade or occupation customarily requiring the use of such knife; or (b) is displayed or carried by a member of a theatrical group, drill team, military or para-military unit or veterans organization, to, from, or during a meeting, parade or other performance or practice for such event, which customarily requires the carrying of such knife; or (c) is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening or repair, packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to such knife while it is transported; or (d) is displayed or carried by a duly enrolled member of the Boy or Girl Scouts of America or a similar organization or society and such display or possession is necessary to participate in the activities of such organization or society.

e. Violation of this section shall be an offense punishable by a fine of not more than three hundred dollars or by imprisonment not exceeding fifteen days or by both such fine and imprisonment.
    Last edited by fastk9dad; December 19th, 2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: added law statute

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    Youcan't have anything that can be used as a weapon. Even if you manage to find something that is actually legal to carry, any NYPD that sees you with it will find an excuse to bust you down, and find (or make up) something to charge you with. If you plan on carrying something, make sure no one can see it.
    You can't have car keys?

VIP Member
    For Claybreaker,

Seriously, I lived in NYC for 24 years. I rode the subway at all hours of day and night. I rode the bus system as well, and of course walked the streets. I routinely traveled among the boroughs using public transportation, except for Staten Island. That was at a time when crime in NYC was way way higher than it is today. My mom let me start going around by myself when I was 11-12. Nothing bad ever happened to me.* It is safer than we all make it out to be, and as an ex-New Yorker I get a certain perverse pleasure out of knocking the place, but it is OK.

Have a good time.

*And no, I didn't look like a tough kid and I wasn't a tough kid. I was a nerd's nerd before the word 'nerd' was invented. My interest in martial arts has come only very late in life, after I turned 60, and though I probably by now am a genuine tough guy, I don't look or act the part, and appear more like a mellowed out old cowboy. (Its not easy to do that act either if you aren't born to it.)

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    There is something occurring now in NYC related to this topic. From http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...s?render=print : "..in New York City, where Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. has declared war on pocket knives. We are not talking about switchblades or butterfly knives, gravity knives, daggers or stilettos, but the kind of one-hand-opening pocket knives that have become popular with the majority of shooters, hunters, and other outdoorsmen and women."

Vance is basically charging anyone arrested with a knife clipped to a pocket, regardless of whether it's legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Vance is basically charging anyone arrested with a knife clipped to a pocket, regardless of whether it's legal.
    - This is most likely the reason that a several online knive retailers (Knifecenter) and manufacturers (Emerson) will no longer ship to New York.

NYC is not an unsafe place ... much safer that most of the other places I've been in the country. Everything is well-populated at all hours of the night - all the touristy places you'll end up being anyway. No, I wouldn't be strolling around Bushwick at 4AM if I were you, but then again, the only reason you'd be in Bushwick at 4AM is because you wanted to go to Bushwick at 4AM which means you wanted something illegal ... all bets are off then.

My wife and I lived in Manhattan for a few years then Brooklyn for a few more - nothing ever happened to us and we were out till all hours of the morning many weekends. Just relax and enjoy your trip to you NYC, don't worry about what felony you should carry while you're there.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

For the Law Abiding Citizens that don't want to feel super-edgy, your best defense is situational awareness. Sounds like it's too late to get a Cold steel Defensive Hairbrush/Comb delivered, but I wouldn't worry and enjoy the sites and sounds and remain alert.

I'm a life-long New Yorker, now live in Westchester. I too was a super-nerd until late high-school, and rode the superbad subways since age 13 alone. I did encounter trouble a couple times. For the last say, 20 yrs., NYC has been *way* less dangerous unless you put yourself in trouble's way as HiFreq stated.

If you eed to feel secure, then make sure whatever you choose to carry is hidden--which may defeat its purpose--because there's no end to the lengths a prosecutor will go to to prove you're the Bad Guy.

I used to carry a 12" FairB stiletto in my boot on my bike, until a nice Bronx cop pulled me over and explained The Law. I carry an Emerson CQC7 now, but not openly clipped on in NYC. Even a Leatherman will make a cop look twice. I'm a competent martial artist (yes, since high school) and turn up my senses whenever I'm in the city.

You'll be fine, enjoy the city at Xmas, it's great. But expensive

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko View Post
    For the Law Abiding Citizens that don't want to feel super-edgy, your best defense is situational awareness. Sounds like it's too late to get a Cold steel Defensive Hairbrush/Comb delivered, but I wouldn't worry and enjoy the sites and sounds and remain alert.

I'm a life-long New Yorker, now live in Westchester. I too was a super-nerd until late high-school, and rode the superbad subways since age 13 alone. I did encounter trouble a couple times. For the last say, 20 yrs., NYC has been *way* less dangerous unless you put yourself in trouble's way as HiFreq stated.

If you eed to feel secure, then make sure whatever you choose to carry is hidden--which may defeat its purpose--because there's no end to the lengths a prosecutor will go to to prove you're the Bad Guy.

I used to carry a 12" FairB stiletto in my boot on my bike, until a nice Bronx cop pulled me over and explained The Law. I carry an Emerson CQC7 now, but not openly clipped on in NYC. Even a Leatherman will make a cop look twice. I'm a competent martial artist (yes, since high school) and turn up my senses whenever I'm in the city.

You'll be fine, enjoy the city at Xmas, it's great. But expensive

Hello neighbor!

I was there last month for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade out of 5 days of sightseeing with my Grandaughter. Situational awareness is first, and what to do incase of second. I carried a Kershaw spring assisted knife in my right coat pocket and two bottles of hand sanatizer one in each coat pocket. These are the 3 oz sizes that you can carry on an airplane. Flip the top and squeeze real hard and the mostly alcohol solution will squirt a few feet. Imagine that in someone's eyes. I walked all over Times Square and 5th Avenue with no issues and no incidents. Saw lots of NYPD as well. Good luck on your trip and anniversary!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links