German Knife Law

German Knife Law

This is a discussion on German Knife Law within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am likely going to Germany in a couple or three months and don't plan on going without a blade of some sort. I'm looking ...

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

German Knife Law

I am likely going to Germany in a couple or three months and don't plan on going without a blade of some sort.

I'm looking for reliable information on what sort of knife that I can carry into and on my person in Germany and still be able to get back on the plane ten days later.

I've read that I can't have a folder a blade over 8.5cm (3.34 inches). Also the knife can have one of two features: a locking blade OR a one handed opening feature.

Does anyone know how I can know about the knife law in Germany? Also, what would be a good knife that meets the German requirements?
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

You could always buy one when you get there. This way the seller/retailer can help with the laws of the land.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    That would be good, except that I am not certain that I would be afforded the opportunity to actually shop for one.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

There is some relevant information in this thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ferrerid=39134

Couple years ago, I was in the Frieburg train station. There was a kiosk selling knives and multi-tools. Several of the knives were one-hand opening with liner locks. None seemed to have blades longer than about 4 inches. During many trips to Switzerland, I've seen lots of knives for sale, also one-hand opening with liner locks.

I had a friend go to Europe within the last year or so, not sure about Germany. He purchased a model of Swiss Army knife over there at a knife shop. Some of the VICTORINOX models now have a locking blade, while still being benign in appearance. I will check with him and see if I can get the model.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    are you going with the military or on vacation, that makes a difference especially if you plan on being on base all the time or in the countryside
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    I am likely going to Germany in a couple or three months and don't plan on going without a blade of some sort.

I'm looking for reliable information on what sort of knife that I can carry into and on my person in Germany and still be able to get back on the plane ten days later.

I've read that I can't have a folder a blade over 8.5cm (3.34 inches). Also the knife can have one of two features: a locking blade OR a one handed opening feature.

Does anyone know how I can know about the knife law in Germany? Also, what would be a good knife that meets the German requirements?
    Agave, you are in luck since I just moved to Germany about 4 months ago and I did my research with regards to the knife laws. You can find all you need HERE.

Basically, the German government states the following with regards to EDC knives:

• All butterfly, gravity, out-the-front and push dagger knives are illegal.
    • All switchblades, even those formerly allowed for carrying are illegal for concealed carry.
    • All locking folders with one-handed opening mechanism are illegal for concealed carry. If the knife has just one of these two features and is not longer than 8.5 cm in length, then it is legal for concealed carry (slip-joint knives are legal).
    • All fixed blades over 12 cm (4.72") are illegal for concealed carry.

You have the following options to conceal carry a knife in Germany:

• Fixed blade less than 12 cms in length.
    • Slip-joint knife (no locking mechanism) less than 8.5 cms in length.
    • Victorinox Swiss Army knife

I currently have several knives that I often conceal carry in Germany:

If you want to carry a knife for self-defense, you should bring a fixed blade with a length of less than 12 cm. Nonetheless, if you want something for utility purposes then bring a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife, Böker Subcom 42, a Spyderco UK Pen Knife or any kind of slip joint knife.

They do sell knives here that are illegal for concealed carry but they are sold for home use only, collectors or for tourists and thus are just not meant for EDC. Therefore, just bring a knife from home that complies with the above specs and use it here without a problem. Just don't take it to public events, government offices, police stations, hospitals or such and you will be fine with the police. I don't think that you will have to use anything for self-defense in Germany since it is very safe here, but it is always good to have a knife just in case SHTF or you need to open some boxes, peel a fruit or cut something. The police in Germany is abundant, well trained and armed. I honestly feel safer here in Germany than I ever felt during the 5 years I lived in San Antonio, Texas and from various trips around U.S. cities like Miami, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York City, Detroit and others. Just use common sense, avoid poor lit areas, bad neighborhoods (haven't found one yet) and avoid some areas in cities of Eastern Germany such as Leipzig and Berlin where there are some radical neo-nazi groups.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Links