Pepper spray - cold weather

This is a discussion on Pepper spray - cold weather within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like to keep a container handy in all my vehicles. Stay in the cars 24-7. Will cold and sub-freezing temps pemanently damage them or their ...

Like to keep a container handy in all my vehicles. Stay in the cars 24-7. Will cold and sub-freezing temps pemanently damage them or their efectiveness?

I'd suggest asking the vendor/manufacturer is the best course.

The type we are issued has an anti freeze and is a water solution. An oil base OC clogs easier. So your best bet is a water based with anti freeze solution.

Honestly, I wouldn't believe anything a vendor or mfg told me because of the CYA factor. I was hoping someone had first hand knowledge. I wouldn't expect it to work when frozen, but how 'bout when it warms up? Carry cans of WD40 around in my truck all the time and they seem to work fine hot or cold.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomwalshco View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't believe anything a vendor or mfg told me because of the CYA factor. I was hoping someone had first hand knowledge. I wouldn't expect it to work when frozen, but how 'bout when it warms up? Carry cans of WD40 around in my truck all the time and they seem to work fine hot or cold.
    Well, the effective use under such explicit conditions may well be hard to find under ‘first hand' use. I’d go with glockman10mm’s advise and call it done. The entire time I was a cop I only pulled my spray can out once and even then, I didn’t have to use it. Now, I pulled my gun out and pointed it more times than I could ever remember but that was back then. So many dirt-bags, and so little time...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I'm trying to give you first hand knowledge. What we are issued has an anti freeze in it. It's made bt defense technolgies and I have carried it for years, and am trained and qualified in it's use.

Here's what I got back from Fox Labs. I'm now a loyal customer:

"Thank you for taking the time to make your inquiry. Nothing major should happen, perhaps losing a foot or two in the distance it sprays in extreme cases (the Austrian Army did testing and put the units in a freezer for three days before testing and that was all that was different). Potency and everything else will remain the same. Just make sure it isn’t in direct sunlight, because it is possible, even in winter, that the unit might get hot and pop the top—a most unpleasant experience."

Incidentally, that was the company Pres that got back to me.
    http://foxlabs.com/products.shtml

The only thing the cold could do is exactly what they described. The reason it doesn't shoot as far is because at colder temperatures, the gas used as a propellant is under lower pressure. If there is any water in the spray that could freeze, the lower pressure of the propellant would more than account for that and there would be no risk of it exploding.

I have to say though, this one goes down as the quote of the week in my book:

Just make sure it isn’t in direct sunlight, because it is possible, even in winter, that the unit might get hot and pop the top—a most unpleasant experience.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Links