Question about legality of concealed baton

This is a discussion on Question about legality of concealed baton within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I live in maryland, and I recently purchased a 26" expandable steel baton. It came with a belt-holster. I went to a local hardware ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about legality of concealed baton

Hello
    I live in maryland, and I recently purchased a 26" expandable steel baton. It came with a belt-holster. I went to a local hardware store and bought a few feet of plastic strap and a few buckles.. I don't really know how to describe it. Like a backpack strap.

Anyway, I'm building this with the intent of being able to strap the baton onto my leg, by the shin, under my pants leg.

It dawned on me that this /may/ be illegal.. which would be.. you know. Bad... :p

Anyway. I've been doing a bit of research, and I'm trying more, but could anyone tell me/link me to a place that would tell me if this is legal? I find plenty of information on handguns, and a decent amount on knives, but nothing so far that's specific about, what I guess would be a blunted weapon?

I'm looking for information predominantly in Maryland, but I'm moving to New York (State) soon, and so information there would be good to know as well.

Thank you!

I would check you states website and see. Michigan lists what you can carry and what you can't

All else fails as the local pd

Assuming you meant Maryland, not Michigan, I tried that, and I found a lot of information about guns, but nothing about batons or other non-firearm weapons.

1943 - 2009
    Since neither Maryland or New York are gun friendly states, I believe they frown on many other types of offensive weapons also, like your baton.

I'm just guessing here, but you might get into some serious trouble if you're caught with the baton in New York.

Just my opinion.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Not only is it illegal in many states to merely own an expandable baton, strapping it to your leg under your pants would make it very difficult to get to, especially in a self-defense situation. (Which, by the way, is why many guys do not use an ankle holster for a gun.)

Just call your local police station and ask them. They'll tell you whether or not you can own a baton.

Wes.

post edited by QKShooter ~ please check your private mail message.
    Always remember: 3 can keep a secret, if 2 are dead!

Just call your local police station and ask them. They'll tell you whether or not you can own a baton.
    That's not what I would suggest. Unfortunately, many police officers are not that well versed in the law. Instead I would suggest a call to competent attorney.

State law will usually have a definition of "weapon" and, unless other statutes specify which type of weapon, then the original definition is applicable across all of it as far as what you can and can't carry.
    Meanwhile, if the state has a CCW law, that should say what it's applicable to and what it isn't.
    I'm confusing myself..... If your law #1 says a weapon is a stick and you can't carry weapons, but if you get a CCW you can carry a gun, then a stick is still illegal for carry. If your CCW says law #1 doesn't apply to you with a license, then you can carry a gun or a stick or whatever.
    I am not an attorney, etc, etc, but part of my job involves firearm law, so I pick up lots of odd info.
    And, I agree with M1911, you should likely check with an attorney and/or research it. Sometimes, local LE won't know or will just tell you NO you can't do it. They sure wouldn't want to advise you that something is fine and then later find that it's illegal.

Administrator

Post happydud - Baton Not Legal In Ocean City

Ocean City
    Sec. 58-123. Prohibited acts.

It shall be unlawful for any person to display, possess, sell, barter, offer to sell, distribute, manufacture, give away, transfer or dispose of nunchaku, a fighting knife, a throwing star, a spiked wristband, a spiked fistband, a spiked glove, a flail mace, a butterfly knife, a spiked belt, a spike ring, metal knuckles, baton, fighting ax, fighting sword, pistol crossbow, stun weapon or any part thereof, assembled or unassembled. As used herein, "person" includes individual, partnership, corporation or any other entity.

The prohibition relative to baton and stun weapon does not apply to officers of the Ocean City Police Department.

I guess a tire iron is ok then!

Springfield XD Service 9MM
    Sig Mosquito w/Red Dot
    Taurus 22 Auto Pocket Pistol
    S&W Chief's Special
    Remington 870
    Enfield Mark III
    SA Black Stainless PX9152L
    Browning BPS 12 ga Upland Special

VIP Member
    I would recommend contacting the state prosecutor's office (Attorney General, Solictor General, not sure what they are called there) in writing. They will eventually write back, but it may take some time. However you will have the definitive opinion of the state prosecutor.

Until you get the response I would not carry or transport the baton outside your home. For example, in VA you may possess a baton but carrying it is a definite no and transporting it in a vehicle is a gray area you may not want to venture into.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by majordad
    I guess a tire iron is ok then!
    There ya go. Many common tools that are perfectly legal to possess and carry have other uses. Go figure. My truck driver BiL told me a length of weighted hose or cable cut to length would get you in big trouble, however the tire iron or a "thumper" used to check caps is just fine and dandy.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I've travelled to MD several times, dud, and as far as SD options, it is a pit. Much like DC, you're expected to bend and spread.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    I've travelled to MD several times, dud, and as far as SD options, it is a pit. Much like DC, you're expected to bend and spread.
    Hence the reason Maryland leads the States in Robbery per capita.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

DC Founder
    I would suggest a 4 cell MagLight....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I would suggest a 4 cell MagLight....
    Years ago before PA had an accessible CCW program, my wife and I carried MagLights all the time. Those big 6-D cell ones would definitely be a formidable "flashlight."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links