Can anyone tell me anything about this knife?

This is a discussion on Can anyone tell me anything about this knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I randomly got 3 new knives the other day, the smith and wesson cuttin' horse, frost cutlery hurricane and one that has a stamp that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can anyone tell me anything about this knife?

Can anyone tell me anything about this knife?

I randomly got 3 new knives the other day, the smith and wesson cuttin' horse, frost cutlery hurricane and one that has a stamp that reads "Tiger USA". The tiger usa is the one I'm most curious about, I figured it would be cheap junk but I have been really impressed with it. Good tool steel, nice laser etching on the blade, spring assisted and remarkably sturdy. It holds a great edge and there's really no blade play to speak of when locked open. The problem is I can't find anything at all about who makes them, a model number or even a picture of mine. Does anyone happen to know anything about the Tiger USA brand? Thanks in advance and sorry for the phone picture. (Its the knife on the bottom btw)
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Apparently they are made in China.

http://store.security-wizard.net/7drststtusfo.html
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Well, good thing I'm getting into journalism, so I found SOME things for you. Here is a site that sells the brand:

http://cuttingedgeknives.mybisi.com/...ts/tiger-brand

Interesting that they have a Service Logo knife or two. I thought you needed a permit to do so. Maybe, maybe not...

Here's two links to other forums (sorry to the mods if this violates some internet taboo...) that basically show that you're not the only one asking where they came from:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=725793
    http://forum.blademag.com/tm.aspx?m=3442

Interestingly, they seem to have the same generally positive review of the knives as well.

This appears to be their logo(?).

Not the knife, but the kitteh...

Here's a Canadian student asking roughly the same question, but not getting much in the way of an answer. Okay, he doesn't get anything in the way of an answer, but there it is:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...O4us8AbPzNDOCg

In other words, no one knows. They appear to have come out of nowhere (well, China to be exact), and they don't have a website that I can find. Interesting and mysterious. Let us all know how well it holds up. At the prices that they go for, you could easily afford to do some torture tests. We love pictures here at DC of such trials and tribulations, so go nuts and get back to us!

A cheap and reliable knife is always welcome after all...

P.S. Welcome to DC!
    Last edited by EvilMonk; January 21st, 2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Missing letters and sanity...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Thanks for the info, that's pretty much what I found which was not much. I definetly will be doing some torture testing this weekend if time allows. The tests will be well documented and I will be sharing asap. I love testing products

Was at a gun show in TX, disappointed I didn't have the Cash On Hand to buy a beloved Emerson karambit to go with my CQC7. My son came to me at the end of the show and had bought me 2 of these http://www.assistedknife.com/index.c...3319/id/424807 . Although it's deployed differently ( I need to practice!) the *quality of this cheapie is really decent!I'd say that bali is fine if you practice; the karambit is in my pocket, ring exposed, I have to place my hand a bit into the pocket to deploy--the Emerson is Right There--but at my defensive class last week no one thought to look at the pocket, hence no one saw the ring..surprise! I'll give it a 2 1/2 out of 3 for satisfaction. I may drill it to reverse the clip too. Well made for sure.

They're crap. That's about all you need to know about those knives.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    They're crap. That's about all you need to know about those knives.
    What are you basing your opinion on? I have carried it every day since I got it, used it multiple times a day for everything and it hasn't let me down in the least but if you have an educated reason for disliking them id be open to your thoughts, or is it "crap" because it doesn't cost $150.00 and its not a tactical blade? I don't think that's all I need to know about them though. I'm just saying...

I think if you are getting a knife for defensive purposes and are willing to stake your life on it, then you should buy the best knife you can afford which is designed for defensive use and has a reputation as being reliable.

If you are just buying a decent hard working utility knife for everyday use which would only be pressed into defensive use as a last resort emergency, then you open yourself up to a whole lot of decent reasonably priced knives. There is nothing wrong with knives which are priced cheap as long as they do their intended job. As long as the lock doesn't fail (which can severely injure you), and it can stay sharp for a reasonable amount of time and resharpen easily, then you're good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Now personally, I buy Benchmade and few other brands which I have had a personal good experience with. However, I have also had a few pretty decent $25 - $50 knives as well. I did buy a $40 assisted opening S&W tactical knife which turned out to be total junk. The lock failed on it once and it would constantly spring open in my pocket, poking me in the leg. I threw it away. I wouldn't even sell it to someone else.
    William Hill likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Well, good thing I'm getting into journalism, so I found SOME things for you.
    There's a tad bit more to a career in journalism than being able to type the words "tiger knives" into a Google search window. But, it's a good start.

The only thing we need to know about the knife in question, however, is the silly emblem in the handle. Call it an "iron cross" or whatnot, it's basically a Nazi kind of thing, which means the knife is undoubtedly Chinese and probably cost about $16. Depending on quality control at the factory that's mass producing them, it's probably OK. Ken Onion Kershaw and Kai knives are now all Chinese and have a good rep, but the knife in the photo is most likely a few rungs down the ladder.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Administrator

Schrade Cutlery & COLD STEEL knives are Chinese made these days.
    Schrade has still maintained good quality control. I've not checked out any newer Cold Steel knives.

Really there is no secret "trick" to heat treating the most common blade steels AKA the 440 steels and 1095 etc...you follow the S.O.P. and you're done.
    The blades get laser "blanked out"...the grinding is almost always CNC (no matter if done in China or the U.S. the machinery is the same) and then the blades are mass hardened and tempered.
    With regard to "folders" & assisted openers the devil is in the details as far as the quality of the construction/assembly and the additional materials used apart from the blade.

I have seen some absolutely horrific & incredibly cheap looking "FROST CUTLERY" knives.
    On the flip side of the coin most buyers seem to be pleased with Schrade & Cold Steel and others mentioned above.

The Chinese people are talented craftspeople - so it all depends on if the respective company (located in China) just wants to "crank them out" as cheaply as possible or there is real concern for putting out a decent quality product.

Basically though a one piece 440C blade is going to be the same no matter if it's made here or in CommieCountry.

I am not super big on Chinese knives (in general) because I prefer to buy USA.
    Recently I did buy two identical Schrade (one piece) knives because they were small, thin, lightweight, and exactly what I was looking for and the knife checked out OK.
    I bought one to "test beat the crap out of" and to see how well it held an edge...and when it checked out OK I kept that one as a "beater" & I added the other one to my go bag.
    I scrapped the original "sheath" since the sheath was a combination polymer "knucks" and LED light & "knucks" are not legal to carry in PA & I also "dumped" the bead chain.
    The finish on the blade held up VERY WELL but, for my serious SHTF knives...I am staying with BUSSE.
    Nobody makes a tougher blade than BUSSE. That is my opinion.

This is the Schrade SCHF5 that I bought 2 of. I think I got two of them for $16.00 each + Shipping.
    It had a hokey Schrade Survival printed on the blade & I got rid of that with some Nail Polish Remover. <~~
    I figgered what's there to screw up? One piece blade - common basic knife steel - standard proved simple heat treat & it tested out fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I think if you are getting a knife for defensive purposes and are willing to stake your life on it, then you should buy the best knife you can afford which is designed for defensive use and has a reputation as being reliable.

If you are just buying a decent hard working utility knife for everyday use which would only be pressed into defensive use as a last resort emergency, then you open yourself up to a whole lot of decent reasonably priced knives. There is nothing wrong with knives which are priced cheap as long as they do their intended job. As long as the lock doesn't fail (which can severely injure you), and it can stay sharp for a reasonable amount of time and resharpen easily, then you're good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Now personally, I buy Benchmade and few other brands which I have had a personal good experience with. However, I have also had a few pretty decent $25 - $50 knives as well. I did buy a $40 assisted opening S&W tactical knife which turned out to be total junk. The lock failed on it once and it would constantly spring open in my pocket, poking me in the leg. I threw it away. I wouldn't even sell it to someone else.
    I agree, the knife in question is basically a working knife and serves it purpose well so far. As far as defensive blade I also agree that if you are staking your life on a blade then yes a top of the line blade is the way to go. I'm a truck driver and that's why I carry my ka-bar USMC for protection.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    There's a tad bit more to a career in journalism than being able to type the words "tiger knives" into a Google search window. But, it's a good start.

The only thing we need to know about the knife in question, however, is the silly emblem in the handle. Call it an "iron cross" or whatnot, it's basically a Nazi kind of thing, which means the knife is undoubtedly Chinese and probably cost about $16. Depending on quality control at the factory that's mass producing them, it's probably OK. Ken Onion Kershaw and Kai knives are now all Chinese and have a good rep, but the knife in the photo is most likely a few rungs down the ladder.
    The knife is infact made in china, not necessarily a quality issue. Just for the record I have NO affiliation with nazis in anyway shape or form hahaha.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by HARD2KILL View Post
    The knife is infact made in china, not necessarily a quality issue. Just for the record I have NO affiliation with nazis in anyway shape or form hahaha.
    And I'm certain that we're all glad to hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

If you are just buying a decent hard working utility knife for everyday use which would only be pressed into defensive use as a last resort emergency, then you open yourself up to a whole lot of decent reasonably priced knives.
    Well that's one way to look at it...another way to look at it is that a utility knife is going to be used hundreds of times on many different materials, putting it through the torture test of life and being useful to you in countless ways, and is therefore worth investing some money into...because a cheap one will quickly dull and become useless. In contrast, any old piece of sharp metal will be equally effective for a few thrusts in a defensive situation; since it's not being used to cut things on an everyday basis, its not necessary to have a high quality blade steel.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by sentioch View Post
    Well that's one way to look at it...another way to look at it is that a utility knife is going to be used hundreds of times on many different materials, putting it through the torture test of life and being useful to you in countless ways, and is therefore worth investing some money into...because a cheap one will quickly dull and become useless. In contrast, any old piece of sharp metal will be equally effective for a few thrusts in a defensive situation; since it's not being used to cut things on an everyday basis, its not necessary to have a high quality blade steel.
    Point well taken. I tend to spend between $120 - $200 for most my knives, utility knives included. I've also lost three $100 + Benchmades while on the job over the years. Which always bites! Hence my foray into some cheaper knives for a while. I've since learned to carry my Benchmades in a belt sheath while on duty instead of using the pocket clip and haven't lost one since. Off duty, I've never had a problem with losing any utilizing the pocket clip.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links