Cane

This is a discussion on Cane within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been using a cheap metal cane for the last year. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one from Canemasters not cheap but worth it I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cane

Cane

Been using a cheap metal cane for the last year. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one from Canemasters not cheap but worth it I hope. Anyone hear have one that they've had for awhile with any issues I should watch for. Thanks for any input

2. Remove Ads

I will be looking for a cane soon. I will be moving to Europe for a bit and with their crazy gun and knife laws I see myself best equipped with a cane. Sorry OP to not answer your question, but I will be following this thread as well as asking if anyone has good free video of cane techniques.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

I've had a Canemasters Hickory cane for a couple years now that I take anywhere I can't carry my gun. I've had no problems with it, seems to be a well made and very sturdy piece of wood. Looks good too. With a little practice, it could be a formidable self defense tool. And, I'm of an age that no one will question why I have it.
    How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy & productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised and taken care of.
    Suzanna Hupp

JD
    Administrator
    I picked up a TDI Cane, word is that KA-BAR is going to start carrying them. Very sturdy aluminum and will lay down a beating for sure.

VIP Member
    I had to make a couple of trips in '08 and '09 one to Chicago. I bought a Cold Steel City Stick. I never had any problems. I sent it through with everything else when I passed through security. They viewed it and saw no sword in it and never said a word. I like it because the head weighs 8 oz. and is made of 6160 aluminum. It would do great damage if used. The cane itself is made of 11 layers of fiberglass. This gives it some flex like a golf club which would make a blow from the head even more devastating. I did replace the hard plastic cap on the base because it would slip on tile. I went to the drug store and bought a real rubber tip for a cane.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I had to make a couple of trips in '08 and '09 one to Chicago. I bought a Cold Steel City Stick. I never had any problems. I sent it through with everything else when I passed through security. They viewed it and saw no sword in it and never said a word. I like it because the head weighs 8 oz. and is made of 6160 aluminum. It would do great damage if used. The cane itself is made of 11 layers of fiberglass. This gives it some flex like a golf club which would make a blow from the head even more devastating. I did replace the hard plastic cap on the base because it would slip on tile. I went to the drug store and bought a real rubber tip for a cane.
    I did exactly as did George, and TSA has never blinked.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I sand my Canemasters every couple of months as recommended by the manufacturer and oil it with mineral oil and it gets a darker, richer look to it. Never a problem going through TSA.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Member Array Invisible Swordsman's Avatar
    JD, what was the cost of the TDI cane?

Mark

I've been using a cane for about 15 years now.
    My "everyday" cane is made like a standard aluminum cane only in steel and weighs right at 2lbs.
    I have two custom wooden canes.
    One is Rock Maple with a simple round brass head, 1lb 9oz, very strong, but hard on the hand if doing a lot of walking.
    The second is Coca bola with an oak head shaped to fit my hand, 2lb 4oz, hard and heavy and comfortable to use all day.

I recommend getting some type of instruction in using a cane for self defense. Without it, the cane can become another weapon that may be taken from you and used against you. The reason behind that statement is that the cane is a "contact weapon" which means the BG is @ bad breath distance.

I have had some martial arts training with the bo-staff and also have used some of the techniques in the training videos from http://www.canemasters.com/. The nice thing about their training techniques are that they are designed for people with some from of physical disability.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Swordsman View Post
    JD, what was the cost of the TDI cane?

Mark
    I think around $90.00, if KA-Bar starts selling the, there may be a price increase or decrease.

You guys have given me a few things to look in to and think about. With my knees and refusal to stop training in Martial Arts I have a feeling I'll need a cane in the future and I want one that is better than the grocery store pharmacy cane I have now.

I really like the look of the Cold Steel City Stick, distinguhed but can deliver a beating if needed.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

Found this video to be very helpful with easy to use techniques.

http://www.paladin-press.com/product..._/Self_Defense
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

The Best Defense episode tonight is on wheelchairs and canes.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Google "cane holders" they come in handy when going out to eat.. A good wrist strap is also handy for retention in a fracas.

bosco

I have two canes that I use fairly regularly. One is a "faux" blackthorn stick from Cold Steel. The thing is really massive, almost more of a club than a stick and the best part is that it's made out of some polpro resin so it's almost indestructable. The cane that I use for travel is a malacca "trekking" stick that unscrews into two parts. When unscrewed the handle part makes a very nice Tonfa substitute with a 20" stick left over. I recently took it to Curacao where it not only bolstered my confidence but also got me better service/seats and sympathy on several occasions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links