Whats your best folding fighter?

This is a discussion on Whats your best folding fighter? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Freedz I like my Cold Steel Recon. +1 on the Recon. I Love mine. It is the version with the AUS 8 ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats your best folding fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Freedz
    I like my Cold Steel Recon.
    +1 on the Recon. I Love mine. It is the version with the AUS 8 steel, not the B.S. 440 sub zero quench steel.

2. Remove Ads

You didn't mention if your Emerson was waved. I can't think of a better knife for a backup to a handgun. You may want to look at just getting another waved CQC-7 or perhaps another waved model. I carry a CQC-8 and while it was designed for fighting, it has also taken a beating as a workhorse of a knife for my while on duty. The CQC-10 is also another great knife you may want to look at.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I pretty much stick with Benchmades, Emersons, and Spyderco because I have had nothing but positive experience with them. I like Microtech, but they are quite expensive and tend to be a little bit delicate for my tastes. Anyway, it is awfully hard, in my opinion, to beat an Emerson Commander, a CQC-7, or one of my Benchmade Autos.

I have only handled the "Dark Ops Stratofighter" once, and I will be the first to admit that I did not put it through any extensive testing...or any testing at all, for that matter. But it was just a little too big and thick for what I consider to be reasonable concealed carry in civilian clothes. I don't know how somebody sits down with that thing clipped in their pocket. And, I have to admit, I have trouble getting past the marketing. The whole "fight your way through a mob", "covert deanimation", controlled blood spray", zombie killer approach seems to rub me the wrong way. But, again, that is just my opinion and I have not had any field experience with the knife.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Sponsor
    Gonzo,

Everytime I sit down, I'm sitting on a G26 Glock 9mm

The Strato is not any concern for sitting on if you carry it in your back pocket, which, when I carry it is not in the back pocket, but in the front pocket.

I mentioned people didn't like their advertising, some can't get past it to own one which has been discussed on other forums.

I carry a knife for it's being able to take abuse if necessary and still perform. The Chinooks and Stratos are two knives that fit that bill through the extensive testing I've done on those and others.

I know of NO folder that one can stand on repeatedly both laterally [ and not break the blade or hurt the pivot ] and in line where the full weight of ones body can be exerted on the locking mechanism other than the Strato, and perhaps the Extrema Ratio folding products.

Yes, it is big and somewhat bulky when compared to other folders, but it sits in the pokket without any notice of weight or length, and like anything else, only takes getting used to carrying it.

A few posts back, I listed the criteria for a fighting folder, and most of the folders on the market do not fit the criteria for the most part. When my arse may be on the line with the equipment I carry, I choose to carry the strongest, sturdiest, best materials I can find.

The keltec's, ravens and such fit in my backpocket easier and are lighter and less bulky, but I'll not be seen carrying one of those there either, preferring to go with something more dependable when the SHTF like the g26.

You do not have to compromise, you only have to be willing to adjust for carrying something you can depend on in worst case scenarios, and fighting with a folder would seem to fit into that realm.

The Stratos are not for everyone, anymore than other makers knives are. Besides the hype of the product, the knife lives up to it's advertised strengths.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr

The keltec's, ravens and such fit in my backpocket easier and are lighter and less bulky, but I'll not be seen carrying one of those there either, preferring to go with something more dependable when the SHTF like the g26.

You do not have to compromise, you only have to be willing to adjust for carrying something you can depend on in worst case scenarios, and fighting with a folder would seem to fit into that realm.
    True, but I dont' consider BM or Emerson to be the "Keltec's or Ravens" of the knife world. LOL! And, options are what the world is all about. When the SHTF, I rely on my Sig P239 or Kahr K9, which are heavier and bulkier than the Keltec or the Raven.

I will be the first to admit that I am FAR from a knife expert (or an expert on anything, for that matter). I have not been in a combat theatre since the Gulf War, but I do come across a lof of the current warriors in training events now. Those that carry folders in harm's way seem to all be carrrying Benchmade or Emerson. Heck, I have been told some absolute horror stories by returning troops about what they have done with their Emersons (as far as punishment and abuse of the knife itself) and not one has told me of a failure of the knife's mechanism. As an instructor, I do spend a lot of time with LEO's and other operators and I have yet to come across one carrying a Dark Ops or Extreme Ration knife in the field. Again, let me stress, I'm not knocking the knife itself. I don't have any experience with it, so it would be unfair (and dishonest) of me to do so. Just relaying what I see in the field.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Sponsor
    I hear ya,

One of the criteria the Strato doesn't shine in is the edge geometry.

As to not seeing them, they've been in production just one year, and are not as well known to the world as Emersons, Benchmades or Spydercos, yet.

After hard testing enough makers designs and locking mechanisms, I'll not carry a linerlock myself, though that was all I carried at one time.

When I mentioned the keltecs and ravens, it was not in the context of reliability but size comparisons.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; July 27th, 2006 at 06:42 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    Ok we're down to a few choices. First due to my love of Emerson's I am looking at the Mini-Commander BTS Wave.
    Gets my vote.

im biased but my best folding fighter is a Strider-frame lock SMF
    i also have an AR, GB and an SnG.- they are all awesome tools that many go fast types bet their lives on- they are pricey but whats you life worth?

aj

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ok I'm going to throw a screw ball. Has anyone had personal experience with the MOD knives? One op was talking about the Mark II and had good words for it. I know its an auto but figgured I'd ask and see if anyone has played with or owns one.

Thanks again for all the imput. I wont make up my mind till I personally hold the knife and then will I pull the bucks outta my hidden stash (shame we have to hide play money from da wife, LOL)

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

I have handled a few of the MOD CQD knives, both the Mark I and the Mark II. They struck me as good, solid knives but over-priced.

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    One op was talking about the Mark II and had good words for it. I know its an auto but figgured I'd ask and see if anyone has played with or owns one.
    Steve
    If it will be a user/beater that will be used until it falls apart, or goes back to the factory for service- it might be okay. I've had both manual and auto Dieters. Problems: MOD uses carbon (not stainless) screws-they will rust-, threaded directly into the aluminum frame (MT uses Helicoil stainless steel inserts in their Al frames). The blade bushings are "built-in" (they are raised areas, milled in the frame- again, anodized Al rubbing against tool steel). IMHO, not at all worth the money, unless you're spending someone else's money, and like the design.

Ouch....thanks for the honest eval. Yes the knife will be carried daily and used often. I truly loved the feel and it had good words about it but your eval is not making me have second thoughts. Guess I'll stick with my Emerson for now and take a little more time deciding. Thanks Rob72 from your observations.

Steve
    Steve

Sponsor
    I've also got the large MOD LE auto Dieter folder, sits NIB from 3 years ago. I would not carry that knife as an everyday folder either.

My reasons are somewhat different from Rob72's however. I don't believe the screw issue is the main problem, and have not heard anyone with such an issue on that model. MOD has an excellent warranty behind their products, if something were to strip out of the aluminum frame, etc, they'd take care of it post haste I'm sure.

My problem with the folder is the lock strength being unknown and really untested under hard use. I don't like the somwhat double edge LE blade opened as well, nor do I think it is necessary.

Price point for what it is? Too much money like Rob72 mentions, but I think the same thing about the Strider folders, and I've had a few of those as well.

I got the Dieter for free, thats the only reason it's here in the collection. I've thought about carrying it, but haven't. The lock strength being unknown bothers me on a knife thats supposed to be "tough".

Brownie

I have used benchmade's Auto-Stryker for about 3 years and love it. I have not used many different brands as I am pretty cheap. Spyderco has always been tough for me. The benchmade Strykers aren't cheap but I got them for free and they have been tough!

All my experience has been active duty Army. From Haiti, Bosnia and
    Iraq I have carried both and have never had one fail me yet. I have had ppl use them for screwdrivers(never lend your knife to other soldiers!) and they are all still in on piece and can still carry a nice edge.
    I not an expert by any means, but I am just not a fan of flashy knives and I'm cheap! just my $.02
    "One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them"--Thomas Jefferson

Fordfreek....your type of opinions is the best out there. After 20 years in da Army I have learned that the soldier is the best source for info. I also was issued a Benchmade (mine a Mel Pardue) a S&W Military Auto and a little silver one that was the forrunner of the multi-tools. Your so correct about not letting another soldier "barrow" your blade, and that lesson cost me more than a dull blade. Thanks for your service and keep ya head down.

Steve
    Steve

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links