Balisong Knives

This is a discussion on Balisong Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think your line "From the view of your potential assailant, however, seeing a smooth butterfly knife draw can be intimidating" is loaded with mystique. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Balisong Knives

I think your line "From the view of your potential assailant, however, seeing a smooth butterfly knife draw can be intimidating" is loaded with mystique.
    Heh. Well in this case I have only personal experience to draw upon. It did make a good impression on the other fellow who did decide at that point that there was something else more urgent for him to be doing.

To CDRGlock: Sure they can be opened quickly. But not "just as fast." Why bother trying to make the case? Nobody has ever suggested that you get a butterfly knife because of speed of deployment.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    To CDRGlock: Sure they can be opened quickly. But not "just as fast." Why bother trying to make the case? Nobody has ever suggested that you get a butterfly knife because of speed of deployment.
    RE: EDC. I agree. Deployment is slow comparatively, given the other technology out there. I had a large latchless which I wanted to buy a holster for EDC but the guy I asked, never made it for me so I sold it (Chili Brothers Habanera). I have carried some larger Balisongs but they serve as backups to my Glock 23/27/30 or 357. Nowadays, I just carry my Microtech Troodon OTF.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    http://lawfuel.com/show-release.asp?ID=11640

Remember when Spyderco was fined for shipping these knives.We have so many laws,how do we not break at least one per day?Sad
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Heh. Well in this case I have only personal experience to draw upon. It did make a good impression on the other fellow who did decide at that point that there was something else more urgent for him to be doing.
    So you're sure it was the flip and not just the fact that you had a knife that caused him to back off? You read minds also.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    There is actually a federal law that states that you can be convicted for doing an action that isn't illegal here in the US, but is illegal in another country. And US citizens have actually been convicted for this "crime"!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    There is some past PA court precedent set when a judge ruled that Balisong/Butterfly knives would not be considered to be a prohibited weapon in Pennsylvania.
    AKA NOT in the switchblade category. So...I'm best guessing that they are PA OK.
    That having been said the knife style just doesn't do much for me personally.
    But, it's always whatever floats your boat. This is America.
    The court decision you're thinking of is Commonwealth vs. Miles, in the PA Superior Court. The issue was whether the knife carried by the defendant was legal or not; it was one of those cheap brass knuckle balisong styled knives. The judge considered it to be a brass knuckle knife, not a balisong, and that balisongs were not prohibited offensive weapons.

Of course, they can still be banned by municipalities. Where I live, martial arts type weapons, like nunchuks and kamas, are illegal. Knives are perfectly legal, all types. all sizes.

I own a few balisongs. i prefer them for work/utility use. For defense, I prefer a fixed balde. Balisongs have too many steps to deploy it efficiently, unless you've been doing it for 30 years. I've only been doing it for 20, so I'm not ready yet.

Administrator
    Great clarification post. Much appreciated. I was not clear on any of the details.
    Yes, we seem to be fortunate that there are no "blade length" restrictions in PA & I do take full advantage of that & carry a SOG Pentagon Elite II.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hill View Post
    The court decision you're thinking of is Commonwealth vs. Miles, in the PA Superior Court. The issue was whether the knife carried by the defendant was legal or not; it was one of those cheap brass knuckle balisong styled knives. The judge considered it to be a brass knuckle knife, not a balisong, and that balisongs were not prohibited offensive weapons.

Of course, they can still be banned by municipalities. Where I live, martial arts type weapons, like nunchuks and kamas, are illegal. Knives are perfectly legal, all types. all sizes.

I own a few balisongs. i prefer them for work/utility use. For defense, I prefer a fixed balde. Balisongs have too many steps to deploy it efficiently, unless you've been doing it for 30 years. I've only been doing it for 20, so I'm not ready yet.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Www.pinoysteel.com for FHMs.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Thanks Rick! I enjoyed reading this thread. Lots of very knowledgeable folk here!

We carry the finest balisongs made in the Philippines today. I'm doing what I can to keep traditional balisong making alive!

One way Filipinos get around the fumbling aspect is by using two hands to get em open. You don't always have two hands free though.

The other way is through practice: lots of it. There's still always a possibility of fumbling though. More so with a bali than other types of knives.

I'd personally rather have a good balisong that a liner lock. If it's open, and the tang pin fails, it still won't close on your hand. Even if it's unlatched, you're holding on, so it won't fail. If a liner lock fails, you're in trouble! Pins are perhaps a little more secure than screw construction: peened pins don't back out as often as screws do IMO.

I carry one of my balis, a flat sap/blackjack and a few other blades. I'd like to be able to carry a pistol legally, but I can't. :( If I could, I'd pack a 1911 Commander and a S&W .38 snub. Maybe some day soon!

I own a few and own a few cheapies and a benchmade older model.

They are part of my collection to show different qualities between the better ones and cheaper ones. A few guys from Kershaw made a bali line under the name Bradley "The Kimura's" beautiful knives would love to have one of these as a EDC. Under 100 and you can take it apart if need be.

Comepletely illegal in texas though.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

I started carrying a Kimura last week. It's taking some getting used to; the only balisong I've ever carried on a regular basis has been the BM 42, and their profiles are very different. The Kimura feels sturdier, and it's much heavier. That can be risky for people who like to flip them, like I do. When they cut, they tend to cut deeply. It's definitely a "user" balisong. The Benchmades were, too, but I'm afraid of using them too much. Since the Kimura was so much cheaper, I feel okay to actually use it for mundane cutting tasks.

Just to remind everyone: the importation of balisongs into the US is ILLEGAL. US Customs considers balisongs the be switchblades, for some reason, so it's restricted by The Switchblade Act, (Pub.L. 85-623, 72 Stat. 562, enacted on August 12, 1958, and codified in 15 U.S.C. 12411245). Federal law controls federal aspects only, and does not mandate prohibition within an individual state. It does say specified knives can not be mailed through the U.S.Postal Service, and provides penalty exceptions for other common carriers/shipping companies doing normal business

Administrator
    OK...I cleaned this thread up and I am opening it back up. If I need to hit the DELETE button on one more member post the entire thread will be gone from the forum permanently.

No more importation of BaliSong knives talk unless it is to reaffirm the illegality of doing so.

Rule #10 DC Forum Rules Page.

10. Discussion of illegal activities, except in reporting the actions of others, is not allowed.

Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned.

Admission of illegal activity on your part will be removed. Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well.

In short, DO NOT use this forum to admit to breaking the law, even in your distant past.

Administrator
    Notice to members to pay close attention to my post #28.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Anyone know what the laws are in Virginia? I may be moving up there.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links