Balisong Knives

This is a discussion on Balisong Knives within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This should help Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Balisong Knives

When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Wonder if they are Ok in Texas,legal I mean?
    Legal to own and collect, but not to carry. I bought a lovely Benchmade Bali-Song a few years back, and I love to handle it, flip it and play with it. Unfortunately, under Texas law, it is a "gravity knife," and is a prohibited weapon for carry. I know lots of LEOs who think knife laws are stupid and would never pop someone for carrying a Bali-Song, but you should never count on running into one of my cop friends.

I love flipping knives so much I ended up with carpal tunnel syndrome. I got surgery two weeks ago.

I am selling off my large and heavier Balisongs. They made my condition worse.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Anyone know what the laws are in Virginia? I may be moving up there.
    Legal to own and carry, even concealed, with some restrictions (e.g., not on school grounds if it exceeds a certain length). Recent ruling in 2009 confirmed they are not gravity, switchblade, bowie or dirk knives, therefore legal to carry:

July 01, 2009
    Topic: Weapons Charges

In the case of Wayne Thompson v. Commonwealth, the Virginia Supreme Court has reversed, vacated, and dismissed a conviction for illegally carrying a concealed weapon after deciding that he weapon the defendant possessed, a butterfly knife, is not the type of weapon covered by Virginia's concealed weapons law. As the court held,

"[a]lthough the evidence is sufficient to prove that Thompson's butterfly knife is a ‘weapon,' it is insufficient as a matter of law to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the particular knife at issue is ‘of like kind' to a dirk or any other weapon enumerated in Code 18.2-308(A). The conclusion of the trial court, acting as the trier of fact, that Thompson's butterfly knife is ‘of like kind' to a dirk is plainly wrong and without evidence to support it. See Code 8.01-680. For that reason, we will reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals, vacate Thompson's conviction under Code 18.2-308.2(A), and dismiss the amended indictment."

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    Legal to own and carry, even concealed, with some restrictions (e.g., not on school grounds if it exceeds a certain length). Recent ruling in 2009 confirmed they are not gravity, switchblade, bowie or dirk knives, therefore legal to carry:

July 01, 2009
    Topic: Weapons Charges

In the case of Wayne Thompson v. Commonwealth, the Virginia Supreme Court has reversed, vacated, and dismissed a conviction for illegally carrying a concealed weapon after deciding that he weapon the defendant possessed, a butterfly knife, is not the type of weapon covered by Virginia's concealed weapons law. As the court held,

"[a]lthough the evidence is sufficient to prove that Thompson's butterfly knife is a ‘weapon,' it is insufficient as a matter of law to establish beyond a reasonable doubt that the particular knife at issue is ‘of like kind' to a dirk or any other weapon enumerated in Code 18.2-308(A). The conclusion of the trial court, acting as the trier of fact, that Thompson's butterfly knife is ‘of like kind' to a dirk is plainly wrong and without evidence to support it. See Code 8.01-680. For that reason, we will reverse the judgment of the Court of Appeals, vacate Thompson's conviction under Code 18.2-308.2(A), and dismiss the amended indictment."
    Thank you. So in VA, if one has a concealed carry license, any knife can be carried?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLeVick View Post
    Legal to own and collect, but not to carry. I bought a lovely Benchmade Bali-Song a few years back, and I love to handle it, flip it and play with it. Unfortunately, under Texas law, it is a "gravity knife," and is a prohibited weapon for carry. I know lots of LEOs who think knife laws are stupid and would never pop someone for carrying a Bali-Song, but you should never count on running into one of my cop friends.
    It's illegal to own a switchblade knife:
    "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a
    blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and
    that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a
    button or other device located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or
    sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal
    force.

It is actually completely illegal to own from my undertstanding unless it is part of your "Curio" (collection) and it does not say Illegal only if your carrying it. I have met a few who said they dont worry about bali's or auto's unless the person carrying them is being a total __________ but they still wouldnt reccomend it.

VIP Member
    Thank you. So in VA, if one has a concealed carry license, any knife can be carried?
    NO GO. In Virginia, we do have a concealed carry license, but, the law only allows for handguns as an approved carry weapon. The license does not allow for carry of any other type of weapon, lethal or non lethal. However, there are numerous laws that describe what type of knife may be carried, in what manner, and where. I'm sure someone more knowledgable on the forums can elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    NO GO. In Virginia, we do have a concealed carry license, but, the law only allows for handguns as an approved carry weapon. The license does not allow for carry of any other type of weapon, lethal or non lethal. However, there are numerous laws that describe what type of knife may be carried, in what manner, and where. I'm sure someone more knowledgable on the forums can elaborate.
    Thank you.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

balisong

I made a post in the late summer/early spring last year regarding Balisongs. Now, I cannot stop purchasing them. I have learned how to open them for defense and for doing maneuvers.

I purchased a video called "Mastering the Balisong Knife" by Michael Janich. It is rudimentary compared to what you can learn from folks like Vincent Dark, Helix and LoOsey. Fur.

I have now amassed about 43 knives with 14 Productions (mainly Benchmade), 14 Filipino handmade Balisongs and 14 customs. I have 4 customs that are coming.

I still look for more. I buy and sell them all the time.

In Florida, we can carry Balisongs as long as we have a concealed weapons license. Not many other states allow knives of this type or size.

So are there other Balisong enthusiasts, here?
    im looking for a benchmade balisong model 42 do you have one?

i live in FL, anyone know where i can buy a Balisong?. I had 1 back in the Philippines. i carry a Spyderco tenacious for now, but would love a Balisong. its been a while since i carried one
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

gpknives.com
    knifecenter.com

These are two places I know of that have a good selection of knives.
    I have ordered from knifecenter no problems and my buddy orders from gpknives for most of his purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    gpknives.com
    knifecenter.com

These are two places I know of that have a good selection of knives.
    I have ordered from knifecenter no problems and my buddy orders from gpknives for most of his purchases.
    awesome will look into it
    Proudly living in the free state of Florida

Check out my Balisong channel on YouTube, please:

http://www.youtube.com/user/titaniummd

Lifetime NRA Member
    NRA, Lifetime Member

i had one back in college that was from batangas. this baby was made from the old train tracks. it can punch through a 1 peso coin like butter.
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

Aside from the flashy flipping/slinging display, I see zero advantages to these knives and multiple legal and functional disadvantages when compared to say... a good Kershaw or SOG assisted opener.

Yeah, it's possible that you may scare of some pansy thug away with a "hi-yah" Jackie Chan move, but if your attacker is that uncommitted then the metallic "snap" of my Kershaw Blur will probably do the trick in 1/2 the time.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links