Somail Pirate Loses Knife Fight with a US Navy SEAL Today and Dies

This is a discussion on Somail Pirate Loses Knife Fight with a US Navy SEAL Today and Dies within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by paramedic70002 ??? So it's wrong to call a SEAL, a SEAL? Am I missing something? Yup! SEAL is an acronym for SE ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Somail Pirate Loses Knife Fight with a US Navy SEAL Today and Dies

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    ???

So it's wrong to call a SEAL, a SEAL?

Am I missing something?
    Yup! SEAL is an acronym for SEa Land and Air. A "Seal" (note lower case) is a furry aquatic animal. It was all in the typing, should be all caps if it is a Navy SEAL.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    A knife also carries less risk of a stray round hurting one of your buddies.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    A knife also carries less risk of a stray round hurting one of your buddies.
    That would make sense, especially if they didn't know where the hostages were being held.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    The SEAL in question probably...was engaged within the radius of his muzzle, neither of which are are that hard to imagine within the tight confines of a ship...
    Yup.

Also the description of the boat being a "yacht" comes not from the owners, the Navy or anyone else but the media.

The term 'yacht' real world can be just abut any size (length & width) covered roof pleasure boat including Gilligan's 'S.S. Minnow'.

Yacht vs. YACHT via 'Caddyshack'

As well there is the issue of specific environment.
    Firing a handgun in close quarters among a metal walled enclosed space is likely not optimal for sake of individual shooter safety.
    A person confident with a knife wouldn't think twice about it, same as a handgunner might think to do same against another engaging with a handgun even as they might have a long gun on board to choose from as well.

- Ted Knight
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

For what its worth, my dad was in the jungles of Laos and Cambodia in the early 60s and he used his knives a lot. It is stealthy and can be much more damaging than a bullet. He had scars that proved that the enemy used knives and sharpened sticks and anything else that they had at the time. He was very fond of his blades. He was very good with one too. I am learning some fillipino martial arts and can see just how effective knives can be. Thanks to the SEALs and all of our Armed Forces for what they do. God bless them and bring them home safely.

Jason
    Last edited by AllAbtSlfDef; February 24th, 2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typo
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I don't doubt our SpecWar guys are combat gods but I don't see an armed operator choosing to go blade to blade with one of those miscreants. But I could be wrong.
    My take as well. The SEALs had already boarded, and captured the pirates who surrendered. This was not a Hollywood "sentry elimination". They were in the process of "clearing" the vessel for any hidden, remaining pirates when the blade usage occurred. My theory is that the pirate jumped from hiding and attacked the SEAL, and the SEAL found the knife his most accessible weapon.

The SEAL in question probably had a stoppage or was engaged within the radius of his muzzle.
    This is probably the best explanation. Malfunctions will make you switch to the next best weapon. Usually a side arm, but in the confines of a boat a knife would probably work better. We all hear of these rescues and have grand scenes of TV melodrama in our heads, when actually it is real and problems happen. Good on this SEAL for coming out on top.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Get sum
    Fortune favors the bold

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    According to a web page I checked out, this is supposed to be the current knife issued to Navy SEALs??? Does this knife look to be the right one to everyone?

How would one kill a person with this kind of knife? Could this knife be used in a stabbing motion?

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The SEAL in question probably had a stoppage or was engaged within the radius of his muzzle, neither of which are are that hard to imagine within the tight confines of a ship.

Don't SEALs carry the HK Mk 23 SOCOM, though? I believe that they are known for being very reliable. I'm doubtful that a stoppage would be a likely reason here for why the knife was deployed.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    Don't SEALs carry the HK Mk 23 SOCOM, though?
    I believe their primary issue handgun is still the SIG 226, anyone?

(Also you are assuming they were using an issue knife. The military is much more lax on personal knives than firearms. For 15 of 21 years in the Army, I carried a Navy issue knife in the field as my preference.)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    According to a web page I checked out, this is supposed to be the current knife issued to Navy SEALs??? Does this knife look to be the right one to everyone?

How would one kill a person with this kind of knife? Could this knife be used in a stabbing motion?

Looks like it's a sharp pointy thing that will stab just fine
    Adam

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." Carl Sagan - The Demon-Haunted World

Nobody voted for bayonet?
    Psalm 144:1

Save your money: Paint the front sight orange and buy a flashlight.

RKM
    Sig P226's and Cold Steel Recon 1 knives is what SEAL's carry, as far as I know.

The SOG in question is called a SEAL Knife. I don't think it is an issued blade. There is the SEAL Pup and SEAL team and SEAL Knife 2000 and then some "elite" models. I have one of those and also sell them. I have heard directly from Cold Steel's DVD Absolute Proof that the SRK or maybe it was the Recon 1 is the issued knife to SEALS going to BUDS. The SOG above is a very large knife and would be hard to manipulate in close quarters I think. Depending on tactics and school of thought you are using. Meaning a slashing or stabbing or combo type style. The SEAL Pup would be a better choice. I don't know I'll do some digging. Hope this helps. Thanks.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links