Somail Pirate Loses Knife Fight with a US Navy SEAL Today and Dies

This is a discussion on Somail Pirate Loses Knife Fight with a US Navy SEAL Today and Dies within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sort of surprised that a knife would even be used in this sort of circumstance. What possible tactical reason would there be to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Somail Pirate Loses Knife Fight with a US Navy SEAL Today and Dies

I am sort of surprised that a knife would even be used in this sort of circumstance. What possible tactical reason would there be to use a knife, as opposed to a handgun in a close quarters confrontation? Are knives really that effective a weapon?
    The task was "clearing" the ship. Who knows what situation that specific SEAL was engaged in, at the moment. Apparently, it was one in which his firearm wasn't already drawn and covering the criminal in question. Imagine the task, one in which at certain times it's going to require some percentage of the "clearing" party to stowe their arms and be hands-free, allowing them to get the business concluded. I'm assuming this SEAL was one such person, at the moment the criminal attacked him. Plenty of tactical reason, there, with a violent attacker in your face prior to your being able to draw your firearm. Knives can be quite effective, then.

Around the Gulf of Aden, I hope the world's shipping powers start to go in convoy around that place, until the nest of vipers is erased. Same with the Straits of Malacca, and a few other hot spots. Piracy has become big business, with the value of such large ships passing just out of arm's reach. All it takes is gumption and a few AK's, it seems. But then, the word is that the "pleasure" boat strayed from their group, sealing their fate. Hang 'em all, when captured. Every last one.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

maybe the pirate got the drop in him, and ambushed him with a knife. So the Seal wrestled his knife away and used it against him.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    I am sort of surprised that a knife would even be used in this sort of circumstance. What possible tactical reason would there be to use a knife, as opposed to a handgun in a close quarters confrontation? Are knives really that effective a weapon?
    Many law enforcement agencies, and self defense training courses, preach about the 21' rule. That is, 21' is the minimum distance you want between you and an attacker with a knife or bludgeon or other handheld weapon. Most people can't clear their holster in time before the knife wielding attacker is on top of them. If the pirate was closer than that, it would have been easier to gut him from neck to nethers, than to shoot. Also, depending on the available space, the SEAL way have not had the room to manuever a rifle.

Is a knife really that effective? If someone wielding a kitchen knife came within 20 yards of me, and refused to back down, I'm dropping him, without a doubt. I'd rather get shot than cut.

WilliamHill, I agree I think I would rather be shot than cut as well. Cuts can be worse than punctures too. I am a LEO and we are being told 30 feet now in m area.

About issued SEAL knives I spoke with a rep of mine who deals with SEALs and Marines and others. He said on the list is SOG, and BENCHMADE for sure, I know they get COLD STEEL for BUDS. That is SOG and BM fixed and folding.

On a side note: Are knives that effective? Yes in some cultures (Fillipino for one) knives are a major part of their daily lives. They treat knives as we treat cell phones. Most everyone has one and knows how to use it very very well. I am no expert on Fillipino Martial Arts but I have done some training. If you were to encounter someone with any skill in the arts of Kali, Escrima, or Arnis and they draw a knife, get the drop on them or get sliced and diced. I really like the arts and plan to further my training. The SEALs are taught some down and dirty stuff that is not necessarily any specific style, it just works.

Jason
    Last edited by AllAbtSlfDef; February 27th, 2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Fat finget hit a button and didn't get to finish.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

RKM
    Within a few feet, or more, I think knives are far deadlier than a firearm. They're also a lot messier. I think people underestimate knives. I'm buying myself a Ka-Bar someday soon. Not for carry, obviously. I have a Benchmade I carry. But I want a big fixed blade, and I think the Ka-Bar is the one :) Who knows what I'm going to do with it.... but at least I'll have it :)

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Well it's a good start.

This is one of those situations where the USA needs to go in, thoroughly clean house and everyone else can thank us later.

We may be there doing just that. The SEALs and the rest of the spec ops guys use stealth and the US gov't won't tell whats happening.

RKM- The answer to what you will do with that knife is "whatever you want" lol Enjoy it. Make sure you get full tang though.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

I have been saying for years that we need to bring back Letters of Marque and Reprisal. Hell, if some nice freighter owner would give me a lift, I'd throw a couple of M2s on my boat and have a chat with the Somalis.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Navy SEAL 1
    Bad guy 0
    Doesn't really matter how it happened.

I like to think that the SEAL happened to be having a good day and decided that it was time to get a knife kill.... :-) Whatever the reason, good job guys.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Here's a good reason not to mess with a SEAL: YouTube - Deadliest Warrior SEAL knife

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links