Cold Steel Question

This is a discussion on Cold Steel Question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am considering purchasing the Epada 5.5 in G10 (New from Cold Steel) because the 200 dollar one is too nice for an EDC. In ...

Thread: Cold Steel Question

Cold Steel Question

I am considering purchasing the Epada 5.5 in G10 (New from Cold Steel) because the 200 dollar one is too nice for an EDC.

In Texas I can carry a 5.5 folder so when I saw this I fell in love with the original. Now they made a cheaper version that is slimmer I am considering purchasing it for me and a Cold Steel Spartan for my girlfriend.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either knife and would you reccoment them? I usually carry a leatherman Skeletool with the 2-3 inch blade for work and carry a 4 inch Ka bar mule, 5.2 inch Benchmade LFK, or a 3 inch fixed blade. (Looking for a 4-5 inch fixed blade western style to start carrying on occasions)

I prefer to carry a knife incase I ever need it.

Thank You
    J.Rodriguez
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

I own a bunch of Cold Steel knives, except for the ones you mentioned. However, as some of the knives I have are as big as the Espada, I can say with some confidence, that bigger isn't always better. Sure, it's scary sharp, and is comfortable to use, but you're gonna get sick of carrying that thing around with you. You're pretty much going to have to dedicate the entire pocket to carrying it, like having a pocket gun. With a knife that big, you might as well carry a fixed blade, if that's legal in your area.

I usually carry my BM LFK side saddle on a belt, and mule on my back pocket, I usually carry extra weight to stay calm so the weights not too big of a factor. I carry a fixed on occasion just need to find a bigger one thats nice to carry. Usually dont carry anything but a USB in my front right pocket which is what I wanted it for.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Smoky Mountain Knife Works, Sevierville, TN ( Smoky Mountain Knife Works ) has great prices on them. Last time i was out there, they were giving away free promo dvd's on Cold Steel products (you can probably ask them for one by phone). It's pretty intense what they put their knives through. Some of the locks can hold up to 600lbs force. Even the little bitty knifes are razor sharp and will shave 1/8" boot leather by the stacks and not get dull. They cut whole sides of beef all to heck, rip through 1" hemp rope, etc. I would agree with the above, that weight would be a factor. They have some folders like the AK-47 that look good without being too heavy or bulky (in which case it will probably print and it's better out of sight, out of mind). I prefer the tanto point because you can shove it through virtually anything or cut your way out of a car if had to. The upper swept front on some knives adds xtra cutting power so the Scimitar looks interesting and probably near impossible to take away from you. Depends on the application as to what blade to get. I bought a fixed blade GI Tanto for $22 and love the thing. You could chop a tree down with it. Interesting enough have seen them demo bending the blade nearly to 60 degree angle without breaking...something they do with a few of them and this is great (meaning it probably won't break when you need it most). The bigger it is, the slower you will be on the draw with it as well. Probably a good small fixed knife would be the Pendleton Hunter.

Cold Steel knives are great quality knives I'm not sure though on the metal they use within the last five years. I know their expensive folders atleast some are made with that high quality damascus steel or the japanese stuff versus chinese junk. I have a bunch of cold steel knives including kitchen stuff.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Links