Machete Question

This is a discussion on Machete Question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is time to add a machete to my gear. I have decided on a cold steel. My question is Bolo or Kukri. Both look ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Machete Question

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Machete Question

It is time to add a machete to my gear. I have decided on a cold steel. My question is Bolo or Kukri. Both look good but I would like to hear from some of you that have used them. It will be used for camp work. Cutting wood clearing lanes that sort of stuff. Let me know what you think.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

I'd pay attention to the type of steel.

Knife Steel FAQ

1095 (and 1084, 1070, 1060, 1050, etc.) Many of the 10-series steels for cutlery, though 1095 is the most popular for knives. When you go in order from 1095-1050, you generally go from more carbon to less, from more wear resistance to less wear resistance, and tough to tougher to toughest. As such, you'll see 1060 and 1050, used often for swords. For knives, 1095 is sort of the "standard" carbon steel, not too expensive and performs well. It is reasonably tough and holds an edge well, and is easy to sharpen. It rusts easily. This is a simple steel, which contains only two alloying elements: .95% carbon and .4% manganese. The various Kabars are usually 1095 with a black coating. Ref - 1095 vs. 1084 vs. 1070 vs. 1060 vs. 1050 Steel Composition Comparison.
    Carbon V

Apart from steel I think it would be personal preference and what you think you would use more. I like machetes but would buy the kukri because of the angle. If I for any reason have to get something thats a bit behind something blocking that little slant might help.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    Here's a review on the Kukri. It's a little long but interesting. The actual review itself starts at 4:18.

YouTube - Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri: "Woods Battle Axe" by Nutnfancy
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    It is time to add a machete to my gear. I have decided on a cold steel. My question is Bolo or Kukri. Both look good but I would like to hear from some of you that have used them. It will be used for camp work. Cutting wood clearing lanes that sort of stuff. Let me know what you think.
    Have you given any thought to just going to a military surplus store and getting a regular GI machete with an 18" blade? I've used the one I have for over 20 years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Have you given any thought to just going to a military surplus store and getting a regular GI machete with an 18" blade? I've used the one I have for over 20 years.
    I have given it some thought. Still an option. I am going to a gun show Saturday and hopefully there will be some to handle and check out.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    "My question is Bolo or Kukri."

If I was going to opt for a Cold Steel machete I would buy their Latin Machete AKA that blade configuration in either the 18" or the 24".

Less clumsy & it's a much more useful and versatile blade profile for woodcraft, general survival tasks, and brush clearing.

Just my highly educated personal opinion on that.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    The steel and tempering on the Cold Steel far outperforms any GI machete no matter how much work was done on the blade. Between the two, I would go w/ the Kukri, it has more chopping power for the same amount of energy you use. I have 3 of the short (discontinued) model and have actually chopped small (really small, less than 3") trees down to untangle my dogs when their leads got fouled.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Take a look at the Ka-Bar Kukri. I have it and it is thicker than most other machetes, almost like a small sword. Slices through most anything. It is more expensive through. I've heard that the cheaper Cold Steel kukri may not have a good factory edge, but the expensive one would be definitely worth it.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    I have owned several types of machetes and the ones you buy at a sporting goods store or surplus store are no where near as good as the Kukri made by Cold steel. It is expensiveness plus you can put a good edge on it and is more durable. Plus it makes a good weapon that you can thrust or slash your opponent with. The other machetes are only good for chopping..... if that.
    "You fight the way you Train"

VIP Member
    I just bought a cold steel machete last year and I HATED it! It was a real turd. The blade was too thin and it had way too much flex. I have since purchased a machete made by Condor and I like it VERY much. The steel is better and the blade is much more stout.

also just for an idea I'll suggest that you look at a woodsmans pal. Utility Blade Knife Stores, Knife Accessory, Buy Machete from Woodmans Pal - Pro Tool Industries
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

i have allways used USGI Ontario or camulus machettes, never had issues

I have had a genuine gurkha kukri for many years and find it away better brush cutter than those long limber military machetes.

John

For the money you can't beat an Ontario Knife Co 18" that are sold at many Army surplus stores. I have one that is nearly 25 years old and have worked the heck out of the thing.

2 to 3 inch Sweet Gums can be cut in a single swipe, Oaks take a few. I have used it to clear trail, delimb trees when cutting them down, as a fire pit tool, cutting through the pelvis of deer when cleaning them, and various other things it wasn't designed for.

I would not buy anything else, it has been used and abused and for the money you can't beat it.

http://www.ontarioknife.com/catalog/item/54
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by old guy 2 View Post
    I have had a genuine gurkha kukri for many years and find it away better brush cutter than those long limber military machetes. John
    I've had a couple of those and always loved them. Once actually trained with some of Her Majesty's Ghurkas when I was on active duty. Those are some scary little guys! But really, THIS is the machete I want someday: Predator Machete Just gotta gotta gotta!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links