Are Cold Steel knives as good as they say? - Page 3

Are Cold Steel knives as good as they say?

This is a discussion on Are Cold Steel knives as good as they say? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; That Laser Strike is a good looking knife with a nice blade profile. 3/16 is ideal for a cutting blade in that length, for my ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Are Cold Steel knives as good as they say?

That Laser Strike is a good looking knife with a nice blade profile. 3/16 is ideal for a cutting blade in that length, for my needs at least, and 1/4" for tanto blades and prying. I'd like to get my hands on one to try it out and see how it compares to the

My little Izula has been a great performer. Of course, I'd take the Strider SA (close in size and profile) over the Izula given the choice, but at 5 times the cost, that's not something for everyone. That's actually the reason I haven't bought an SA… Since I have the EB/DB and DB-L, I wouldn't use the SA for anything that I wouldn't be able to do with the izula. I'll eventually pick up an SA-L, but will still find a place for the Izula.

The only Cold Steel I actually owned was a Ti Lite. Had it a couple weeks but sold it. I have no clue why I bought it in the first place!
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member
    I've got a Recon-1, Tanto, 1/3 serrated that gets carried a fair amount of the time. It's the newer model (lighter and has the triad lock). I'm pretty happy with it... the AUS8 steel is not he best avialable, but it's above average and takes/holds a decent edge. The G10 handle is very "grippy" and it opens effortlessly. While there are higher quality knives out there for a bit more cash, it's a great knife for the money and looks pretty decent too.

I only have a couple CS knives. The Rajah II & Large Espada G-10. The Rajah is a BEAST of a knife! I got the Espada recently because the blade length of the RajahII is a bit too long to carry legally in Texas. I haven't carried it much yet.

I like em

So my first cold steel I was in contact with was a 20 dollar kukri machete that was cool but was duller than my overly blond ex girlfriend. I then bought the cold steel spartan, which is absolutely awesome a little sharper than my razor cuts through flesh like it wasn't there (my hand will attest to this), and is so freaking solid in your hand, feels like a piece of awesome forged in hell. So I like it ya it's a little big to carry in ***** California. So I'm kinda planning on purchasing the Cold Steel Ti Lite. If anyone has had experience with the ti lite I'd like to hear it. The thing is Cold steel knives are good, their cheap machete's are cheap machete's. If you have 200 dollars go buy a good knife. If you have 50-80 bucks, cold steel should hold up to your needs unless your trying wittel paperwieghts out of rocks in your spare time. Cold steel knives are not the best knives in the world, but for the price they do plenty fine as an edc, this is my opinion take it or leave it.

Their knives have no real advantage over other brands, and are mostly made in China now. I'm not knocking them; I have a few, and like most of them. But my pwn preference is for Spyderco and Kershaw knives. All of the ones I own are made here, and are way better than Cold Steel's.

Everyone yaps about the blades being made in china and all...

Just remember japan and china actually make decent blades. Check out Han Wei swords.

If you want to support your economy, that's something to argue about.

I did alot of research on them today (posted here too, got no response) and they seem to be like a keltec. great value, good stuff, but some people call it cheap even though they perform.

I ordered couple knives from them, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I believe that their better stuff is made in the states and has a good reputation. Their cheaper stuff I THINK is made overseas and it is crap. I bought my dad a a machete from them and it was a total turd (it was cheap). In life, especially with knives, you get what you pay for.

Spend the money up front and buy once.
    There all made off shore.don't worry as much about China as the junk that comes out of Pakistan.

The issue is more that mass production leads to poorer quality. The materials are generally the same but the tolerances are opened up in mass production so there are not as many quality rejects.

In a knife the tolerance between the parts makes all the difference in the world. You could buy 2 at the same time from the same place and one could be great while the other is awful. The same thing happens with a lot of popular products, in order to meet demand they increase production and loosen the manufacturing tolerances..

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Everyone yaps about the blades being made in china and all...

Just remember japan and china actually make decent blades. Check out Han Wei swords.

If you want to support your economy, that's something to argue about.

I did alot of research on them today (posted here too, got no response) and they seem to be like a keltec. great value, good stuff, but some people call it cheap even though they perform.

I ordered couple knives from them, so we'll see.

You said that people call them cheap, even though they perform, then in the next sentence you said you ordered a couple, so we'll see?

How do you know they perform if you don't have them yet? This is the problem with the internet. There's so much opinion that's not based on personal experience.

A butter knife performs. Cold Steel uses insanely goofy marketing, is owned by a jerk that bashes other makers that make their knives with their actual military experience in mind (which he also bashes), and they use cheap steel in many knives. An ESEE will easily outperform a Cold Steel of equal price.

OP, the reason I say they won't be bad isn't due to performance, it's due to the fact you may loose them. I'd still recommend an ESEE in that price range.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    You said that people call them cheap, even though they perform, then in the next sentence you said you ordered a couple, so we'll see?

How do you know they perform if you don't have them yet? This is the problem with the internet. There's so much opinion that's not based on personal experience.

A butter knife performs. Cold Steel uses insanely goofy marketing, is owned by a jerk that bashes other makers that make their knives with their actual military experience in mind (which he also bashes), and they use cheap steel in many knives. An ESEE will easily outperform a Cold Steel of equal price.

OP, the reason I say they won't be bad isn't due to performance, it's due to the fact you may loose them. I'd still recommend an ESEE in that price range.
    I know they perform because I have seen video reviews of these things being beat up and still holding up. I have to evaluate it to see if it performs or not? says who?

cold steel uses insanely goofy marketing? they do things like the bend test to show off it's capabilities. they do cuts and slashes to show it can do those things. they throw it from an x distance to show they are well balanced and work for that purpose.

they just show the capabilities of that blade. you call that goofy marketing? boo ******* hoo.

I'm sure a butter knife performs, and I'm sure you ESEE too. but for the intended purpose, this cold steel will do anything your ESEE will do for a combat knife.

It's funny you say this is the problem with the internet. and here you are telling me that the ESEE will outperform a Cold steel of equal price with nothing to back it up.

the 35 dollar kobun I just got will work just as well as your ESEE you paid 5 times the cost. That's the reason you're bashing on the CS

It's funny because I have a corvette Z06... all the italian/german exotic cars will bash on the corvettes. but at the track it has been proven a corvette will hang with those no problem.

you're that ferrari guy. you paid alot for a very fine piece of equipment, and you put down the less inexpensive (cheaper) models down. but when it comes to performance, you lack the walk the walk.

to englithen you of the goofy CS marketing gimmick, here is a copy paste from the ABC to qualify a master smith. their blade must pass the test -

1. ROPE CUTTING: THE PURPOSE OF THIS test IS TO test THE EDGE GEOMETRY AND SHARPNESS.
    2. WOOD CHOPPING: THE PURPOSE OF THIS test IS TO DEMONSTRATE EDGE TOUGHNESS.
    3. SHAVING HAIR: THE PURPOSE OF THIS test IS TO DEMONSTRATE EDGE RETENTION.
    4. BENDING: THE PURPOSE OF THIS test IS TO SHOW THAT THE APPLICANT IS ABLE TO HEAT
    TREAT A KNIFE WITH A SOFT BACK AND A HARD EDGE.
    so they have videos that show these along with other things like piercing car hoods, vests etc. and a throwing knife video for blades that can do it

This is like marketing a sports car showing it does the nurburing at a very reputable time, and critics calling it a goofy marketing gimmick.

sigh... telling me I don't own the knife to evaluate it's performance, and chances are, he never owned one himself

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    sigh... telling me I don't own the knife to evaluate it's performance, and chances are, he never owned one himself
    - There are several CS owners in this thread, including myself that have already stated that not all Cold Steel knives are quality blades. The tests they show are typically their flagship knives, not their standard lineup.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - There are several CS owners in this thread, including myself that have already stated that not all Cold Steel knives are quality blades. The tests they show are typically their flagship knives, not their standard lineup.
    so the GI tanto for 25 dollars is their flagship knife? fine with me. or the 20 dollar kukri machete

RKM
    True story. About a year ago, I had my fresh, brand new out of the box Cold Steel Mini AK47. I went out to eat with a few friends, and I ordered a steak. I wasn't given a steak knife. Instead of asking for one like a typical peson would I decided I'd like to test out the Cold Steel. The knives come insanely razor sharp. You could easily slice through paper or even shave with it. It sliced through the steak like it was nothing. Only a few days later after only a few very light cutting duties, it wasn't sharp enough to slice paper. It lost it's edge very quickly after hardly cutting anything. I was pretty disappointed.

I think Cold Steels are pretty tough knives as far as the lock goes. But the blade material just sucks and doesn't meet their claims. AUS8 is a "decent" steel for a cheap knife. But AUS8 doesn't live up to Cold Steels hype.

And I'm not sure what other peoples idea of edge retention is, but I'd like for a knife to stay factory sharp after just two days cutting through a steak and opening a few packages.

FWIW, alot of the guys carry seal pups in the army on their LBE, and that's AUS8. I haven't heard anyone complain that it's not sharp enough. and these aren't POGs either.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links